Skip to main content
Topic: Biography Discussion (Read 77045 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Biography Discussion

Reply #475
It seems as if AllMusic album reviews are no-longer returning data correctly.

I'm assuming AllMusic moved the location of their webpage elements around?

Confirming AllMusic album reviews missing. Began the last weeks and continues in v1.1.2.

Looks like the latest version actually fixed AllMusic reviews for me.

Did you right-click the panel and then click 'Force Update' for any reviews that might have been cached to disk after installing the new version?

Reply #476

Did you right-click the panel and then click 'Force Update' for any reviews that might have been cached to disk after installing the new version?

Thank you! - Force Update has started returning results again - reviews are appearing.
However I'm having to manually Force Update on each release.

Reply #477

Thank you! - Force Update has started returning results again - reviews are appearing.
However I'm having to manually Force Update on each release.

Could it be that all your reviews are cached and for whatever reason the plugin isn't triggering a query of the site?

Have you tried to delete the folder that all your reviews are cached to?

Reply #478
NEW: Circular artist & cover images (menu > image > circular).
I just want to say, I'm seriously lovin' these circular artist images. Thank you WilB for your continued effort making these scripts. 8)

Reply #479
New features are awesome, thx for the update.
Meanwhile, I found I cannot get biography text from last.fm for some artists.

e.g.
アンジェラ (Vo. Alisa)
Erroll Garner
咖啡因樂隊

Is there any way I can debug for this?

Reply #480
Thanks for the feedback.

I have fixed the issue and will release an updated version shortly after a bit more testing...

Note that アンジェラ (Vo. Alisa) doesn't seem to have an actual biography at the site (?), although there is ancillary info.

Reply #481
Thanks for the feedback.

I have fixed the issue and will release an updated version shortly after a bit more testing...

Note that アンジェラ (Vo. Alisa) doesn't seem to have an actual biography at the site (?), although there is ancillary info.

Thx! I am aware that "アンジェラ (Vo. Alisa)" doesnot have actual biography contents except for other infos, and I am fine with that.

Reply #482
I'm wondering how, if it's currently possible or wishing for future ability to have the heading independent within the layout when displaying review panel with album art.

For example, it would be nice if the heading extended across the panel width and is not limited by the review text column width.

Also following up on a previous question about image cycling. Cover images in reviews still do not cycle for me, so maybe this image will clarify:

If I have front cover image displayed (in review panel), my assumption about 'cycle from folder' is that it would cycle other images from the same folder as the cover. However no auto or mouse-wheel cycling occurs.
Auto cycling (& mouse wheel) does work in the bio panel with artist images.

Reply #483
Thanks for the feedback

I've added the feature in my copy. Providing no issues arise in further testing it should be in the next version.

'cycle from folder'

This always loads from cover cycle folder specified in server settings (biography.ini). Default is:
Code: [Select]
COVERS: CYCLE FOLDER]
Folder=%profile%\yttm\art_img\$lower($cut(%BIO_ARTIST%,1))\%BIO_ARTIST%
That cycles artist images providing they're in the default location.

To load from the music folder use:
[COVERS: CYCLE FOLDER]
Folder=$directory_path(%path%)
If the location is something else you'll have to work out the path/title formatting to use. Please confirm whether or not the issue is resolved, as I wanted to release an update shortly.

Reply #484
Thanks for the feedback

I've added the feature in my copy. Providing no issues arise in further testing it should be in the next version.

Thank you for the amazing work - really spectacular seriously.

'cycle from folder'

This always loads from cover cycle folder specified in server settings (biography.ini). Default is:

I already have [COVERS: CYCLE FOLDER] pointed at my artist images, which does work correctly for the bio panel. Per your labeling, that would be "Artist: Photo"

However I run 2 panels side-by-side, left panel Bio and right panel Review.

So if I understand it correctly, there is only one source for cycling images? There is no way for me to specify an artist cycling image eg. [ARTISTS: CYCLE FOLDER] folder AND a cover cycling image eg. [COVERS: CYCLE FOLDER] folder?

Reply #485
Two cycle locations are supported.

1) Bio mode. Supports cycling artist images (photos) from the standard lfm artist image [SAVE] location. Requires that "sources > photo: cycle" is enabled (default behaviour).

2) Review mode. Supports cycling of images from the cover cycle folder, i.e. [COVERS: CYCLE FOLDER]. Requires that "sources > cover: cycle from folder" is enabled.

Each mode therefore supports cycling from a different folder. So yes you can have bio panel cycling artist images and review panel cycling covers.

Sources > cover > front|back|disc|artist checks foobar2000 > display > album art > search patterns and loads the single image returned by foobar2000 depending on the chosen option. You can opt to load and cycle all of these by choosing 'cycle above'.

HTH

Reply #486
Hey WilB,

Speaking of cycling artist images, I wonder any chance it might be possible to exclude images - *.PNG, or filename matches, or just an option to only cycle the downloaded ones from this script?

Admittedly this is a problem of my own making, as I moved the save location to the artist folder with the actual music (to cut down on so many extra folders being created, where I could just use existing folders and have everything backed-up along with the music). Recently however I've also been saving downsized thumbnails in the same folder, which would look better if not included in the cycled artist images.

Cheers

Reply #487
Two cycle locations are supported.

Just updating for anyone else who may have similar issues. I got it to work in a rather roundabout way.

I installed a new FB and bio panel - the cycling did work fine. I then copied/pasted the working panel into my old layout and it worked. Additionally it cleared up another problem I was having with review downloads.

I'm not sure what gets corrupted in panels, but I've used that method before to fix other panel issues.

YMMV

Reply #488
Regarding reviews from Allmusic. They are terribly inconsistent with their artist naming.

One consistent issue however are split band names, eg:
https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-beat-of-the-brass-mw0000202341

The bio panel will not grab reviews if only the first artist name is listed. For example above: Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass

Worse still, using the name from AM "Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass / Herb Alpert" will get split by FB also resulting in no review.

One must rename the artist to "Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass & Herb Alpert" to actually get the review to appear, which is quite a terrible artist name tag.
This happens everywhere AM has a split artist name.

Another example: https://www.allmusic.com/album/everybody-loves-the-sunshine-mw0000099169
AM alternates the name order throughout that discography as well.
:(

Reply #489
The default server setting is to include partial matches:

[MISCELLANEOUS]
Search: Include Partial Matches=1

With that enabled plenty of variances worked for me. The results of my tests for AM reviews are below.
Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass / Herb Alpert - The Beat of the Brass
Search: Include Partial Matches 0: found
Search: Include Partial Matches 1: found

Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass - The Beat of the Brass
Search: Include Partial Matches 0: not found

Herb Alpert - The Beat of the Brass

The Tijuana Brass - The Beat of the Brass

Roy Ayers / Roy Ayers Ubiquity - Everybody Loves the Sunshine
Search: Include Partial Matches 0: found

Roy Ayers - Everybody Loves the Sunshine

Roy Ayers Ubiquity - Everybody Loves the Sunshine
I didn't notice any problem with fb splitting names with " / " on my device. May be that depends on a local setting on your device.

Anyway if partial matching is enabled you should be able to use the name "Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass" etc.

Next version should also allow biography to list missing bios, reviews etc

@anamorphic: requested filter added for the next version.

Reply #490
Hi Wilb, I followed all your instruction to install foobar darkone 4 but there is something not working. Biography is working erratically when it comes to showing pictures. Sometimes it works perfectly but most of the time not. Where pictures should be appears "no phot" as if the foto related to the artist that is being played were not downloaded in the appropriate folder.  Please look the attached picture.
Hope you can help.
Best,
gsax

Reply #491
WILB, Maybe this can further help. I am using spider monk panel ver. 1.2.2 e biography ver. 1.1.2. Quite funny if I use the foobar standard interface everything works well but as soon as I start using the "Column UI" and loading darkone, the problem appears again. If I play a track already played with the standard interface then also darkone works well and pictures are cycling and appearing. Actually, it seems that when using darkone skin the pictures are not downloaded from last.fm in the appropriate folder.
Any idea?

Reply #492
There were a number of site changes a while ago that effected photos and am data. Since the am bio is wrong it points to the possibility that darkone doesn't actually have the latest biography release installed.

Shift + right click biography. Choose configure. Use the File menu to import biography 1.1.2. Hopefully that will get it working. You may want to force update any incorrect am bios & reviews you spot (menu > sources > force update).

If it's still not working:

1) right click > menu > sources > server settings > reset to default.
2) right click > panel properties. Choose export to back up panel properties. Then choose clear to reset panel properties.

HTH

Reply #493
The default server setting is to include partial matches:

[MISCELLANEOUS]
Search: Include Partial Matches=1

Thank you - that was the issue, I had it disabled for previous debugging.   :(

Currently bio/review data is coming through great. However I'm not getting artist images - I tried a clean install - clean/default biography.ini.
"update.txt" files are getting written to the "yttm/art-img/_/%artist%" directory but no images. No other errors appear in the console.

Just to confirm - are artist images downloading for others at the moment?

Reply #494
No way, no option, no photos! The text is ok, but no photos!

Reply #495
lfm has been erratic and slow for me over the last few days and I can confirm that at times it's not been possible to obtain stuff.

Currently all is working correctly for me. So hopefully all is back to normal.

Reply #496
In my case, the problem seems to be related to Darkone. I can see bio text and photo when using the standard Foobar interface but pictures are not downloaded and not shown in Column UI interface and darkone skin. See the attached pictures. I clarify that all the components are updated.

Reply #497
If as you say in an earlier post it works on other layouts, it looks like it's something specific to that set-up.

Shift + right click biography in Darkone & double check the biography version number on line 2 is 1.1.2.

I assume you did the resets as suggested as that would exclude any issues with those: well in fact it doesn't look like you did those as the heading is in the old style format? Resets would exclude things like Image [Artist] Auto-Fetch actually being switched off or inappropriate changes to save paths etc.

Make sure that there isn't an old version of biography lurking in the layout somewhere as it may interfere. Ensure there is enough disc space to save images.

There was also a very old issue whereby foo_lastfm_img.vbs within foobar2000 profile\yttm folder was corrupted. But biography for quite some time should check and correct that automatically. But you could try deleting that and restarting foobar2000.

It looks like the lfm language is Italian. I tried that server for the artist in your pic & it worked here.

Reply #498
HI WilB, thank you very much. Everything seems to work properly now. As you suggested it was due to an old version of biography interfering.  By the way, wouldn't it be possible to get bio and images from Wikipedia?

Reply #499
It's possible but I prefer current sources: Wikipedia bios are long for a music player & search disambiguation is awkward. Photo choice seems inferior. So I'll keep it on the reserve list for now.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019