Skip to main content
Topic: Support m3u/playlist? (Read 1765 times) previous topic - next topic

Support m3u/playlist?

Hi,

The only reason why I am considering using fb2k is because I would like to be able to sync playlists with my ipod nano, without using itunes.

I installed fb2k and added a folder where all my playlists were located (and it contain text files - m3u - which have a list of relative path to my songs). All my playlist entries look like:
..\Music\Anglo\ABBA\1979 - Voulez Vous\03 - I Have A Dream.flac

Note the "..." at the beginning of the path. I'm using relative path to the m3u file.

I'm having the following issues:
1- Adding my playlist folder to the media library yields no file found
2- if I browse my library I see the playlist, when I click on the playlist, I see all the entries listed, but when I actually select one of the songs, I get "Playback error - object not found". I know the playlists are valid, but I suspect the "..\" is problematic
3- I also tried playing songs through my Synology DLNA server, but that too failed (although I can't be certain the problem isn't related to the Synology DLNA server)

I did try to add a folder with songs, and that worked.

Is there any chance to get playlists working?

Thanks

Re: Support m3u/playlist?

Reply #1
I'm sorry but I have no idea why this isn't working for you, such playlists are supported, I just tried it myself.

You can open foobar200 console window ( View menu => Console ) to see diagnostic messages about files that it failed to locate when opening the problematic playlist file.

Can you perhaps make a short sample playlist file that triggers this bug and post its contents for me to look into?

Reply #2
Hi Peter, thanks for working with me on this issue.

As I said, I have 2 issues:

1- When adding a directory that ONLY contains playlists (and the files are NOT in sub-directories, they are stored in a directory "higher/before" in the tree) the system does not find ANY song. It says: 0 tracks, 0 albums.

2- When BROWSING my library (again, no "tracks" have been added to the library; the ONLY folder I added to the library is a folder that contains ONLY playlists) I can see the playlists, I see the tracks each playlist contains, but I cannot PLAY those tracks.

Here is one of the entries in the console:
Code: [Select]
could not enumerate tracks (Object not found) on:
\\NAS\music\playlists\..\Musique\Anglophone\ABBA\1974 - Waterloo\04 - Hasta Manana.flac

Here is a different entry when trying to play a track:
Opening track for playback: "\\NAS\music\playlists\..\Musique\Anglophone\ABBA\1974 - Waterloo\13 - Waterloo (Swedish Version) (Bonus Track).flac"
Playback error: Object not found
On: "\\NAS\music\playlists\..\Musique\Anglophone\ABBA\1974 - Waterloo\13 - Waterloo (Swedish Version) (Bonus Track).flac"

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks

Reply #3
1) AFAIK, it's by design
2) how do you browse your library? What component do you use?

Reply #4
1) AFAIK, it's by design

--> It's by design that it shows "0 tracks, 0 albums.", but does it still adds the playlists to my library? And in doing so, adds the files listed in the plalists in the library?

2) how do you browse your library? What component do you use?
I'm not sure I understand I understand the question. My library only has, at the moment, one folder with a bunch of playlists, but no file added (as mentioned above). As such, I can't browse by album, genre or title (always says the folder is empty). But I am able to browse by folder, clicking on the \\NAS\music\playlists folder at the bottom. When doing so, it lists the playlists. When I enter one playlist, it lists the songs, but when I try to play one of those songs I get the error message.

Reply #5
Opening track for playback: "\\NAS\music\playlists\..\Musique\Anglophone\ABBA\1974 - Waterloo\13 - Waterloo (Swedish Version) (Bonus Track).flac"
Playback error: Object not found
On: "\\NAS\music\playlists\..\Musique\Anglophone\ABBA\1974 - Waterloo\13 - Waterloo (Swedish Version) (Bonus Track).flac"
I'm guessing foobar, via Windows, can't resolve \\NAS\ and thus can't find anything on it. You may need to assign a drive letter to the NAS (if you haven't done so already) and replace 'NAS' in the m3u strings with the drive letter. (I also have a Synology NAS, but I have my music library path listed in Preferences | Media Library | Music Folders rather than accessing it via m3u playlists.)

Reply #6
I would have been absolutely shocked that it couldn't access the media through the \\NAS\ url because I use that URL just about everywhere to access my NAS. However, I just did a test: Start --> Run and entered the file "as is" and it successfully started Winamp (my default player) and played the song. I changed the file association to fb2k and lauched the file via Start-->Run and it was also successful playing in fb2k.

Also, just to clarify, the entries in my playlists are as follow:
Code: [Select]
..\Musique\Anglophone\Lady Gaga\2011 - Born This Way\02 - Born This Way.flac

It is fb2k that prepends the \\NAS\... (using the path to my playlist and then appending what is inside the playlist). But in any case, as stated above, the complete path used by fb2k is valid and working in windows.

Reply #7
It is fb2k that prepends the \\NAS\....
Oops -- I didn't pick up on that.  :-[ I hope you get a fix soon.

Reply #8
Let's clarify one important thing...

Are you running regular foobar2000 for Windows desktop, or the Windows 10 store foobar2000 mobile app?

From what you're saying, it sounds like you're running our Windows 10 store app.
As much as I'd like to make the app work the way you like it, it's probably impossible due to Microsoft-imposed restrictions - we cannot access arbitrary files ( such as music files referenced by playlists ) on the system unless the folder has been specifically added to our library first. On top of that, ..\ path resolving is probably indeed missing there, I'll try to recreate that scenario in foobar2000 mobile and get back to you.

Reply #9
My foobar2000 needs adjustment > artist line up, shuffle, default & many tracks are in double > needs deleted > help needed

Reply #10
tEST

Reply #11
Let's clarify one important thing...

Are you running regular foobar2000 for Windows desktop, or the Windows 10 store foobar2000 mobile app?

From what you're saying, it sounds like you're running our Windows 10 store app.
As much as I'd like to make the app work the way you like it, it's probably impossible due to Microsoft-imposed restrictions - we cannot access arbitrary files ( such as music files referenced by playlists ) on the system unless the folder has been specifically added to our library first. On top of that, ..\ path resolving is probably indeed missing there, I'll try to recreate that scenario in foobar2000 mobile and get back to you.

I was using the Windows Store version. Actually, I didn't realize there were 2 versions. I uninstalled the mobile version and installed the desktop version.

Now, I'm not even seeing my playlists (despite adding the playlist folder to my library). and I'm also not seeing any tracks in my library. It's completely empty. Shouldn't I at least see the playlists, as it was the case in the mobile version?

Thanks

PS: You may ask: Why not add the music folder to the library instead of only the playlist folder? Because my library is very large, and I'd only want to see the songs that have been added to one of my carefully curated playlists. Also, I don't want my computer to monitor this huge folder tree, I am concerned about the resources this will take.

Reply #12
Playlists are not added to the library, only actual media files (cue files being the exception, if you want to consider them playlists).
You will have to load them manually via File->Open or Load Playlist...

Reply #13
Thanks, indeed. I was able to do "Load Playlist" and selected all 40 of my playlists... but that took quite a while to open.

I managed to connect to my iPod and then I'll try to send my 40 playlists to the iPod and see if that works.

Would be simpler if I could simply monitor a folder with only m3u files. That's how I manage my library (but I understand that it may not be how the majority of users do so). It's more convenient to share with SD card, Sono, Revo player, computer, phones, DLNA and iPods.

Thanks for the help and support.

Reply #14
Monitoring playlist files would require differencing the on-disk playlists with what's in memory to determine if they were modified in any way. Not entirely without merit, that idea.

Reply #15
@ winampfan
I had high hopes for foo_plorg (playlist organizer), it's a very helpful component for playlist management in foobar. There's 3 downsides though that it doesn't do:
- no monitoring / marking of missing files (the only way to find a link to a dead (moved/renamed) file is to actively play it and have foobar pop-up complain.
- mass imports of m3u files ( and rebuilding the m3u folder/file structure w original name inside of foo_plorg window)
- mass exports back into m3u (only exports its own binary format, or, you use foobar mass export trickery, which doesn't respect the folders in foo_plorg)

I do find foobar one of the best media players/managers for all things but playlists... so for playlists I adopted Musicbee, which does have all of the above and is developing nicely. If those are important to you too, might be worth looking at MusicBee3 as well.
c.

Reply #16
@ winampfan
I had high hopes for foo_plorg (playlist organizer), it's a very helpful component for playlist management in foobar. There's 3 downsides though that it doesn't do:
- no monitoring / marking of missing files (the only way to find a link to a dead (moved/renamed) file is to actively play it and have foobar pop-up complain.
- mass imports of m3u files ( and rebuilding the m3u folder/file structure w original name inside of foo_plorg window)
- mass exports back into m3u (only exports its own binary format, or, you use foobar mass export trickery, which doesn't respect the folders in foo_plorg)

I do find foobar one of the best media players/managers for all things but playlists... so for playlists I adopted Musicbee, which does have all of the above and is developing nicely. If those are important to you too, might be worth looking at MusicBee3 as well.
c.

Thanks for the message. To tell the truth, I am not looking for a media player, nor for a media manager. I'm just looking for a "transfer my playlists to my iPod without iTunes" app.

I use Winamp to play my music and it works fine. I use PlayList Creator to manage my playlists and it also suits my needs.

CopyTrans Manager is an incredibly simple and convivial free app to transfer music to iPod without iTunes, but unfortunately it doesn't support playlists. Otherwise, I would definitely use that one.

I find Fb2k cumbersome and the UI convoluted, at least for what I need it to do, but at least I have been  able to transfer my playlists. I also find the support to be amazingly fast and efficient, and for that I thank everybody.

In case anybody is interested, here is why I say that the UI is convoluted:
1- I tried to load all my 40 playlists (that's a total of approx 3000 tracks) using "Load Playlists" from the menu , but it took quite a while to load them all (if they are stored in memory, I understand why). Once open, all the libraries are shown with their own tab.

2- There is no (that I saw) ordering of the playlists/tabs...  not alphabetically or anything... so I had to search for them a bit

3- If I want to close the playlist tabs one by one... it takes a while. I need to right-click on the playlist, move to "Remove playlist" and repeat. There isn't a "X" in the tab to close it, and closing the app will not close the playlists.

In other words, I feel like I'm using the application in a manner it wasn't designed to be used.

It would be great if I could simply monitor a directory with playlists, and similar (I assume) to monitoring folders with files, you either put a hook to get notified if a file has been modified in the folder, or keep a checksum with the modified date of each playlist file, and whenever there is a modification, you "reload" the playlists. Or not actually. I don't need to have them in memory, simply the ability to transfer to my ipod. Or to a SD card for that matter... that then goes in my car.

Thanks

Reply #17
FYI,

I'm addressing the original fb2k mobile Windows 10 app complaint. Starting from the next update, relative paths in playlists should work; a separate configuration for a folder with playlist files will be added as well.

Reply #18
Weird how many replies this thread gets. Have you even tested that foobar2000 can sync files to your iPod?

1- I tried to load all my 40 playlists (that's a total of approx 3000 tracks) using "Load Playlists" from the menu , but it took quite a while to load them all (if they are stored in memory, I understand why). Once open, all the libraries are shown with their own tab.
It took long because your files are on a network drive, which are slow to access, and foobar2000 needs to read file info like track duration and tags. Default UI by default shows each playlist in their own tabs.

2- There is no (that I saw) ordering of the playlists/tabs...  not alphabetically or anything... so I had to search for them a bit
You can drag them around. by default in all playlist managers I tried. Nothing prevents a component from implementing sorting for playlists.

3- If I want to close the playlist tabs one by one... it takes a while. I need to right-click on the playlist, move to "Remove playlist" and repeat. There isn't a "X" in the tab to close it, and closing the app will not close the playlists.
Use middle click, just like in any modern browser.

Reply #19
Have you even tested that foobar2000 can sync files to your iPod?

Yes I did. It works fine. Yeah!
Use middle click, just like in any modern browser.
Didn't think of it. My Bluetooth mouse's middle click is so amazingly slow that it sometimes takes up to 5 seconds to "take effect"(!!), so I stopped using it because so many times I'm on a different tab by the time it kicks in. But thanks for the suggestion.

Reply #20
Try Ctrl-w as well?

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019