Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I don't want to live on this planet anymore... (Read 23372 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: I don't want to live on this planet anymore...

Reply #25
I don't know if this has been posted before but it's my all time favourite.

Listening To Storage
"In our initial listening tests, I couldn't discern any tangible difference in sound between the two hard drives. Harris thought the Hitachi sounded very ethereal, almost out of phase, and rated it lowest; the Seagate was sharper with a more thumpy bass, slightly brighter with a slight tendency to sibilance. Both lacked much drive in presenting the Madonna track...."

Reply #26
How do audiophile sites write articles about attracting younger hobbyists into their ranks, and then also write how hard drives sound different? What a turn off it would be to take an interest in hi-fi and then get told your western digital sounds [insert poetic adjective] so you'd better start thinking about your HDD/SSD, then data cables, then USB purifiers, then DACs, then power supplies, then power cables, then wall outlets, then... 

Reply #28
Out of curiosity, out of all the mind-boggling stupidity to be found on audiophile sites, what is it about this particular link that put you over the edge?
Perhaps... that these people represent themselves as audio professionals?
Audiophiles should read Nyquist-Shannon theorem.
Surely you don't think that explains all there is to know about digital music? There is more to digital music than anybody knows.
(they think) (and they also suppose it to be a theory, rather than a theorum)
They are not hearing anything that you do not hear.
Oh guys, guys... are you forgetting the golden ears and the highly resolving systems?

(Sorry if any of the above quote tags got out of order or wrongly attributed during editing. I think I messed up. But as all I can offer on this is humour, I hope nobody minds too much if I put the wrong words in the wrong mouth )
The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain

Reply #29
I really hate Ignormauses. Refusal to accept basic facts or learn anything is insane. Worse than just being stupid or irrational.

e.g. I keep telling people the O2 is a powerful headphone amp but no one believes me because it is small and cheap.

"Listening To Storage
"In our initial listening tests, I couldn't discern any tangible difference in sound between the two hard drives. Harris thought the Hitachi sounded very ethereal, almost out of phase, and rated it lowest; the Seagate was sharper with a more thumpy bass, slightly brighter with a slight tendency to sibilance. Both lacked much drive in presenting the Madonna track....""

Damn that's funny. . .
FLAC -> JDS Labs ODAC/O2 -> Sennheiser HD 650 (equalized)

Reply #31
I loved this one:

That hint of glaze on QNAP1 also showed an impaired subjective noise floor elsewhere. In hi-fi parlance, QNAP2 had the blacker silences and deeper spaces between notes.

I thought glaze was only for food and not music. Can anyone really tell how deep a space between notes is?  If the music is really black, could you still tell if your amplifier was even turned on?

An even deeper question is: Are these guys total idiots, just living without their meds, or both?

Reply #32
What drives me to distraction is this brand of presumptuous yet at the same time hand-waving bullshit, very common in high-end junk journalism:

By now we should know better, and acknowledge that digital audio is very far from immutable. Most of the troubling inconsistencies in CD playback, for example, have been at the point of domain conversion, typically the digital-to-analogue conversion in the playback chain. But the movement of digital bitstreams around the system, such as over a 75-Ohm cable from disc transport to DAC, have been prone to known and definable transmission problems — more so for the venerable S/PDIF standard that rolls up the clock signal within the data channel.

Carriage of digital data over Ethernet, for example, ought to be less troubled by the vagaries of the cable and interfaces. And what of the data being unraveled at the source, from the hard disk or solid-state drive? Why should the type or brand of the disk have such an audible impact on the final sound quality? Clearly, there's scope for more hypotheses to be set and tests undertaken, with lab measurement as well as subjective listening. Maybe we can solicit logical explanations from engineers who understand the low-level mechanics and operation of computer file and storage technologies, and can suggest specific avenues to explore.

Reply #33
An even deeper question is: Are these guys total idiots, just living without their meds, or both?

Neither, most likely. Think about this, as a reviewer they have to say *something*, so what do you say when there's no difference? You make up some fluffy stuff about subtle nuances in "air", "pace" and the like. If they are comparing two similar-priced pieces of gear, differences are likely to be described in subtle terms, implying that it's about personal preference. If the comparison is for expensive vs budget gear, well it's "obvious" that the expensive gear will blow away the cheap gear.

As for different hard-drives producing different audio streams, well, I'm not sure it deserves any comment. These days, digital media either work flawlessly or are audibly broken and it's close to impossible for anything in-between. There are no sub-standard zeros and ones!

Reply #34
I suspect it's the endless, stupid repetition of this same, stupid, dishonest meme by people who should know better.

Hmm... http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/age-shift-in-threshold-d_1474.html

How do audiophile sites write articles about attracting younger hobbyists into their ranks, and then also write how hard drives sound different? What a turn off it would be to take an interest in hi-fi and then get told your western digital sounds [insert poetic adjective] so you'd better start thinking about your HDD/SSD, then data cables, then USB purifiers, then DACs, then power supplies, then power cables, then wall outlets, then... 

A good example - http://www.head-fi.org/t/804792/music-sounds-a-lot-better-from-my-internal-hard-drive-than-my-external-hard-drive-array

Reply #35
Let there be no doubt about it - the audiophile (or whatever we wish to call them) does indeed hear a difference. (Let's not start calling them liars). And upon hearing this difference, they seek a scientific explanation.

The fundamental mistake they make is that they seem to be unaware of (or unwilling to consider) a well-established scientific explanation for why they hear a difference - it's psychological. They focus solely on what engineering issues might possibly be causing a difference in the soundfield, unable to accept that no such difference exists. It's almost as if they believe that admitting they are subject to psychological factors that affect what they hear is some kind of character flaw, when in fact by denying it they implicitly declare themselves to be freaks.

Reply #36
What I discovered is that how my mind listens to music is much more interesting than how the equipment plays it. For some reason, minds are not allowed in audiophile land, or not by by the 'phools, at least: everything stops at the ear.

I am getting deafer. If there is one single solitary, dubious advantage to this, it is that I just don't care about audio equipment any longer. My wish list has been torn up. Even if something did sound different I probably wouldn't be able to hear it.

Reply #37
Let there be no doubt about it - the audiophile (or whatever we wish to call them) does indeed hear a difference. (Let's not start calling them liars). And upon hearing this difference, they seek a scientific explanation.

At the risk of splitting metaphysical hairs, I would phrase it like so:  'the audiophile sincerely believes that he hears a difference'

Reply #38
Everybody seems to be concerned with how good their system sounds. I have been their myself, but the key for me was to start listening my music and enjoying it. Sometimes coffee and a hit of Adderall helps, and I'm grateful for being able to enjoy my music without all this stuff about digital versus analog. I did pick up a Schiit Bifrost a few months ago to replace a broken HRT MusicStreamer, and it sounds so great to me that I feel I will not need to upgrade for a long, long time. Quit complaining and arguing, and get into your music!     

Reply #39
The more I come across audiophile BS, the more I see myself regarding their claims as belonging in the same category as pseudo intellectuals', religious fanatics', "fake" moon landings conspiracy quaks', or even my wife's grandpa's "the commies are sure to raise to power again, one of these days": I find them annoyingly misguided, out-of-place and fallacious but, their ad hoc nonsense end up amusing me in the end, somehow. 

And, except for the afore-mentioned dear family member, I try to avoid any kind of interaction with the other four like the plague.
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #40
On a side note I believe this, though from an obviously unrelated field, somehow surmises how most of us at HA got used to approach all that audiophools' hogwash.
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #41
Everybody seems to be concerned with how good their system sounds. I have been their myself, but the key for me was to start listening my music and enjoying it. Sometimes coffee and a hit of Adderall helps, and I'm grateful for being able to enjoy my music without all this stuff about digital versus analog. I did pick up a Schiit Bifrost a few months ago to replace a broken HRT MusicStreamer, and it sounds so great to me that I feel I will not need to upgrade for a long, long time. Quit complaining and arguing, and get into your music!     

I sold my Bifrost and "upgraded" to an SMSL SD192 Pro.

Reply #43
Again a good one by esldude "multiple copies jitter test"
Golden ears hear the same degration of a song played back with offset as if it was a 8x copy of it :)
One may argue they can't hear a thing but it must be more like digital audio simply doesn't work!
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #44
The amount of people just posting to say that they don't want to participate because they think the test is stupid or all listening tests are stupid, is absolutely astounding.

And of course it all degrades to personal insults and woo-woo theories within the first 10 posts.

Reply #46
This guy is a complete buffoon with a seemingly endless trove of moronic treasures.  Just yesterday ...

Proof positive that people can and will make up just about anything in order not to consider an alternate reality.

Reply #48
I guess we have a winner!
"EVERY time you use an audio editor to open a program and make ANY changes whatsoever,including removing samples you are further exposing the files to RF/EMI"
What about when I play it? Doesn't that expose it?
What about leaving it on a playlist in the player? Is that dangerous?
Look... is it safe to even think about some music on my hdd?
How do I know it isn't contaminated already?
How do I know if the thing is alive or dead? Oh wait, that was something else, not music.

The madness potential of the computer audiophool is infinite.

Reply #49
What about when I play it? Doesn't that expose it?
What about leaving it on a playlist in the player? Is that dangerous?
Look... is it safe to even think about some music on my hdd?
How do I know it isn't contaminated already?
How do I know if the thing is alive or dead? Oh wait, that was something else, not music.

The madness potential of the computer audiophool is infinite.

So is the potential of those fools being locked in a psych ward for a serious psychological evaluation.  I say this a lot about conspiracy theorists, too.