Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MD5 mismatch, but flac stream is intact? (Read 2989 times) previous topic - next topic

MD5 mismatch, but flac stream is intact?

Hi.

Usually when a Flac file has been damaged in any way, you'll get a notification upon decoding it and this is the message you'll see in Integrity Verifier:
Failed: Corrupted FLAC stream; MD5 mismatch

However, recently I came across a Flac file that has a MD5 mismatch, but the Flac stream seems to be intact and no error came up upon decoding. Integrity Verifier returned this:
Failed: MD5 mismatch

So I wonder, how could the Flac stream be intact while the file has MD5 mismatch and what could have caused this?

Thanks.

Re: MD5 mismatch, but flac stream is intact?

Reply #2
Thanks, Rollin.

Does this confirm that the stream itself is technically undamaged? If not, could anyone explain the nature of the damage and if it can be fixed?

Reply #3
Does this confirm that the stream itself is technically undamaged?
Yes. Stream itself is technically undamaged.
could you explain the nature of the damage and if it can be fixed?
md5 is right md5 computed from data of source wav file. But encoded stream is not bit-berfect copy of source stream due to bug in encoder. This cannot be fixed if you not have original wav.
But if you just don't want to see this error message again, you can reencode this file from flac to flac.

Reply #4
Thanks a lot, Rollin. That covers everything I wanted to know.