Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DTS decoder v0.4.6 crashed when playing some ape(none dts encoded) (Read 3767 times) previous topic - next topic

DTS decoder v0.4.6 crashed when playing some ape(none dts encoded)

First, thanks to kode54 for bringing us the new version of DTS decoder, but I found some problem on it.
  foobar2000 v1.3.9 with DTS decoder v0.4.6 loaded on Windows 10 Pro x64
When start playing some ape file(file is ok, none corrupt ,none dts, compressed from normal wav), foobar2000 crashed immediately.
  I want to roll back the DTS decoder to v0.3.3, but I don't know where to get it.

Re: DTS decoder v0.4.6 crashed when playing some ape(none dts encoded)

Reply #1
Here you go

Reply #2
Crashes happened to me as well, Win10-64Pro, Foobar 1.3.9, on random flac files. Reverted back to 0.4.3, wlll see how that goes.

FYI

Reply #3
Should be fixed now.

Reply #6
Should be fixed now.
Hi, kode54.
since v0.4.6, it took about 0.5-1 second delay to actually play DTS audio after click the "Play" button. None DTS is ok.
is this normal? will the DTS decoder scan whole file before play it?

Reply #7
No more crashes so far on 0.4.7. Thanks.

Reply #8
If I understand correctly, using dcadec now gives ability to decode DTS-HD Master Audio files. Some DTS-HD Master Audio files are played OK, but some makes foobar2000 crash. dcadec.exe decodes such files without problem. Also, it would be nice to add *.dtshd and *.dtsma to supported files extensions.
Here are crash report and problematic file sample:

Reply #9
Foobar crashes as soon as I drag the file into the playlist. System is WinXP, which is probably irrelevant. If I remove the 140 byte long DTS header, so that the file begins with 7F FE..., the file plays fine as 24/96 Master Audio.

I encoded two stereo samples into all the DTS flavors using MainConcept TotalCode. They would all crash foobar, but play fine without the header. I'm not sure if Master Audio without a DTS core and no header is a valid file, but it also plays. I didn't observe any delays when starting playback or seeking.

Re: DTS decoder v0.4.7 didn't play all DTS-CD's

Reply #10
version 0.4.8 fixes playback of a DTS-CD (indeed the 14 bit DTSWAV format) that 0.4.7 didn't decode (noise). Thanks kode54.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #11
This is fixed now as well. Some glaring faults in my conversion of the dca stream parser source. (I converted the original stdio code to use callbacks, and I accidentally converted a fseeko call to a read callback, which has the same number of parameters, which crashed on that exact file, and also left a stray fseeko call, which was apparently never reached.)

Reply #12
Foobar crashes as soon as I drag the file into the playlist. System is WinXP, which is probably irrelevant. If I remove the 140 byte long DTS header, so that the file begins with 7F FE..., the file plays fine as 24/96 Master Audio.

I encoded two stereo samples into all the DTS flavors using MainConcept TotalCode. They would all crash foobar, but play fine without the header. I'm not sure if Master Audio without a DTS core and no header is a valid file, but it also plays. I didn't observe any delays when starting playback or seeking.

When I start playing <Hell Freezes Over dts>(no compressed, direct extract from cd as wav), delay occurs. more length, more delay. and it only occurs when starting a song. no delay in seeking. it's odd.
oh ,in case, I removed all other none intergreted components but dts decoder.
 .PNG 45.26 KB, 1109x789 - viewed 312 times

Reply #13
The direct .dts or .dtswav parser does a full sweep over the file each time it opens it. If you don't like this, mux it into a Matroska container.

Reply #14
Thanks, kode54.
rename the extension name "dtswav" or "dts" to "wav" seems can also solve the "delay probelm",right ?
maybe I shouldn't use the extension "dtswav". just "wav" is ok.

Reply #15
Thanks. No crashes now.
But for DTS-HD Master Audio decoder adds offset to audio data. This is not presented in dcadec.exe.

Reply #16
Crashes no longer occur. I can indeed see on files that haven't been touched recently, that they are fully read from disk. Why isn't it possible to detect standard DTS files without Master Audio, by looking at a few frames, and just assume that they will be constant bitrate until the end of the file? DTS is a simple format and always CBR in practice.

I can't check the offset because my MC encoder adds inconsistent offset in all formats...

Reply #17
The only offset added to any DTS format is the amount of silence samples detected before the first actual packet of data, which is then added before the decoded data.

Pull requests are welcome, as long as the results can be verified consistent in all cases.

Reply #18
If anyone will want to test offset problem, here are samples: source flac and DTS-HD MA file created with DTS-HD Master Audio Suite Encoder. If dtshd file is decoded by dcadec.exe then resulted wav is bit-identical to source file. If dtshd file is decoded by foo_input_dts then resulted wav has offset in audio data and is few milliseconds longer.

Reply #19
Decode delay is now considered.

Reply #20
In 0.5.2 decoding of DTS-HD MA is still not perferct (tested on the same sample):
Comparing:
"D:\Downloaded\DTSENC.dtshd"
"D:\Downloaded\source.flac"
Length mismatch : 0:08.768000 vs 0:08.757479, 841728 vs 840718 samples.
Compared 840718 samples, discarded last 1010 samples from the longer file.
Differences found within the compared range: 1721 values, starting at 0:00.000000, peak: 0.0003152 at 0:00.004281, 2ch
Detected offset as 0 samples.
This is how it looks in audacity spectrogram (upper track - source, lower track - wav from decoding dth-hd ma with foo_input_dts 0.5.2).
Beginning of track:

End of track:

Reply #21
Compile dcadec from the foo86/dcadec repository, and compare the result. If it's a problem with that, report it to foo86 on Github.

Reply #22
OK, this is libdcadec.dll fault and, how I've been told on doom9, this situation will never happen with dtshd extracted from real bluray.