Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Seiun - Another hi-res player with wild claims (Read 4975 times) previous topic - next topic

Seiun - Another hi-res player with wild claims

Sure, yet another hi-res player with wild claims is nothing new, but these guys truly pile on the bullcrap.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/seiun-pl...eets-4k-video#/

This graph alone should tell you everything about their understanding of digital audio:

Reply #1
3X their funding goal?!

I wonder whether Hydrogenaudio should start a kickstarter to fund a 30 minute documentary we post for free on various online sources to show the average consumer why hi-res audio is complete crap.  We could provide "prove it to yourself" links, with foobar200, the abx plugin, and files at various resolutions for people to ABX at various resolutions.

Of course, the ultimate problem here is that the placebophile will always claim that we need more expensive hardware than what we're using and will refuse to acknowledge anything until we drop $10,000 on things we don't need.

I feel like we're fighting a battle that we may lose some day, and all lossless music will be sold as 24/192 FLAC for $25, instead of a CD for $13-$14.

Reply #2
Of course, the ultimate problem here is that the placebophile will always claim that we need more expensive hardware than what we're using and will refuse to acknowledge anything until we drop $10,000 on things we don't need.

I feel like we're fighting a battle that we may lose some day, and all lossless music will be sold as 24/192 FLAC for $25, instead of a CD for $13-$14.

Not only that you need high priced gear but abx itself doesn't work because things heard sighted disappear when listening blind so abx is faulty not the other way around
When it comes to digital playback they take things as granted that even the NASA didn't dream of.
The quote of the week for sending files over the web: "Irrespective, in my experience, as well as that of Cookie Marenco from Blue Coast Records ( a major DSD proponent) using COMPRESSED Zips degrades sound quality."
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #3
So, they propose a 4K video player that doesn't have a 4K screen, er, well that'll be useful then. Oh and the best part is that the audio bit can upgrade all your "lo-res" music to make it sound better, kind of almost negating the need to purchase any "hi-res". The icing on the cake is the ability to record your lecture/meeting in up to 384k/32-bit.

I'm just wondering, when video exceeds human visual acuity (I'm sure it will, someday), will people still clamour for yet higher resolution?

Reply #4

Interestingly I actually did met a guy like that the other day, so they do actually exist (before I thought those are just bad dreams and people flaming HA). I did let him talk for a few minutes, before 1st warning, then I did took some time for him (Debate ended with him having quite a shaky voice ...). 5 minutes of glory for the umm, "normal" side.
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #5
3X their funding goal?!

I wonder whether Hydrogenaudio should start a kickstarter to fund a 30 minute documentary we post for free on various online sources to show the average consumer why hi-res audio is complete crap.  We could provide "prove it to yourself" links, with foobar200, the abx plugin, and files at various resolutions for people to ABX at various resolutions.

Nope, I vote we kickstart the gold-silver cables to convey the uber-res music to their earphones, take the profit, buy ourselves yachts and retire to somewhere exotic. There's a far higher chance of success!

You really think it'll stop at 24/192?

Reply #6
Exactly, you realized where this is headed. The music industry is jealous of the video industry which just sell the same movies again and again with slightly higher resolution on new and expensive hardware and media. Now they want their own share of the pie, sell the same old music at higher resolution at a higher price. The only difference is that in the video world this approach has at least some technical merits.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #7
I'm just wondering, when video exceeds human visual acuity (I'm sure it will, someday)...

It already does in many (most?) situations: most people already sit too far away from their HD TVs, and the individual pixels subtend a smaller angle than is resolvable by normal eyesight.  But apparently 4K is where it's at.... (sigh)
Martin - HeadSpin Videography

Reply #8
4K tv and higher resolutions at least trickle down into affordable super high resolution desktop monitors so you can run high-DPI where it actually counts, since you sit a lot closer to a monitor. Or maybe that's mostly being driven by the high-resolution smartphones and tablets.

"Hi-res" audio has no discernible benefit or beneficial spinoff products.

Reply #9
"Hi-res" audio has no discernible benefit or beneficial spinoff products.

The audio industry wouldn't agree! It benefits them!
The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain

Reply #10
I'm just wondering, when video exceeds human visual acuity (I'm sure it will, someday)...

It already does in many (most?) situations: most people already sit too far away from their HD TVs, and the individual pixels subtend a smaller angle than is resolvable by normal eyesight.  But apparently 4K is where it's at.... (sigh)

Yes, it's already true in some situations. I can certainly tell HD from "normal" at 8-10ft from my TV but I'm not sure I could tell HD from 4K (not seen it yet). However, some eagle-eyed folk won't be happy until they can fail to be able to pixel-peep at short range. Once there though, will they still want more? I suppose you can always argue it allows you to zoom in and not lose detail but there has to come a point when it's needless. The equivalent point has already been exceeded with audio though, even before so-called "hi-res" came along and you can't zoom in to frequency-peep, or whatever an equivalent might be!

Unfortunately, the non-tech "man in the street" often doesn't know this and swallows the opinion of "experts". Modern advances have reached overkill in quite a few areas, often for no real need but "because we can"; owning the overkill technology then becomes just a status symbol. I suppose there's nothing new there though. There will always be those who aspire and can afford. When the overkill then might cause removal of a perfectly adequate (cheaper) technology though, we do need to question it.

Edit: grammar

Reply #11
There are too many variables at play with videos that we should probably stop making analogies.

For example, non-4K users can still benefit from the higher chroma resolution of 4K videos, even if their eyes can't see (or their displays can't show) the benefits of non-sub-sampled resolutions > 1080p.

It would be great if future standards mandated non-sub-sampled 4K instead of going to 8K. But I'm not holding my breath.

Lossy video encoders are another problematic factor. Even at BD rates, many supposedly good encoders still produce artifacts with some types of content.