Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Disadvantages to linear phase low-pass filters? (Read 31967 times) previous topic - next topic

Disadvantages to linear phase low-pass filters?

Reply #50
when you say "anti-imaging", don't you mean "anti-aliasing"?  This is confusing.
Be a false negative of yourself!

Reply #51
However, how comes that I get 18kHz ringing after filtering sharp transition from 150 hz signal to 550 hz one with a filter with 23.5 kHz cutoff? I understand that the transition shows itself as a HF spike in frequency domain, even despite it's at zero-crossing and both signal way below cutoff, but why do I get ringing below cutoff?

A pure tone has infinite duration. Any transition will "broaden" its spectrum, and if the spectrum extends to >23.5 kHz then of course the filter will do its work.

I don't know what your filter looks like, but if it is flat up to ~23.5 kHz and linear phase then it really should not ring at 18 kHz.

"I hear it when I see it."

Reply #52
when you say "anti-imaging", don't you mean "anti-aliasing"?  This is confusing.

Imagine upsampling (no interpolation) a 10 kHz sine sampled at 44.1 kHz by a factor 2. It will mirror to 34.1 kHz. That is imaging. (Since this happens in reconstruction the anti-imaging is also called reconstruction filter.)

Imagine sampling a 34.1 kHz sine at 44.1 kHz. It will alias to 10 kHz. That is aliasing.

But essentially it's just low pass filters.

Reply #53
when you say "anti-imaging", don't you mean "anti-aliasing"? This is confusing.
Simply put: imaging happens in a DAC, aliasing happens in an ADC. Both require a low-pass filter to get rid of.

Reply #54
One approach would be to design the filter to have appreciable but still inaudible losses below 22.05 KHz.  But even that might not be necessary.

Aliasing happens at the time of sampling, so aliasing has already happened when you have those 44.1 kHz samples.

In fact if you don't oversample, you don't need to worry about the anti-imaging since the images are not possible without oversampling or some other nonlinear processing.

Let's look at digital 101. The ADC has anti-imaging filters so that the 44.1 KHz digital data stream has no images. If you turn around and convert that data stream back into analog without further processing in the digital domain, where did the images come from?

Err, what?
Try the sampling theorem...

Reply #55
One approach would be to design the filter to have appreciable but still inaudible losses below 22.05 KHz.  But even that might not be necessary.

Aliasing happens at the time of sampling, so aliasing has already happened when you have those 44.1 kHz samples.

Aliasing happens at the time of sampling,

True given that we assume that the source digitizer is incompetently designed, and the analog input signal  has significant content above the Nyquist frequency.  However, this is false in many cases.

For example, I'm digitizing a LP that was mastered from from a 44 KHz 48 KHz, or 50 kHz sampled digital master. There are a ton of these.  There is by definition no useful content above 22 or 25 KHz to be aliased unless the LP was incompetently made or badly damaged.

Another example is digitizing that is simply done competently as it generally is done. In a competent digitizer, the ADC is as a matter of course equipped with a filter with a sharp cutoff at or below Nyquist.

Even cheap audio interfaces and AVRs contain competently designed ADCs that do not alias.

In fact if you don't oversample, you don't need to worry about the anti-imaging since the images are not possible without oversampling or some other nonlinear processing.

Let's look at digital 101. The ADC has anti-imaging filters so that the 44.1 KHz digital data stream has no images. If you turn around and convert that data stream back into analog without further processing in the digital domain, where did the images come from?

Err, what?
Try the sampling theorem...

Been there, done that. I suggest you do the same at your earliest convenience. ;-)

Reply #56
You need to oversample in order to use a digital filter at all.

Oversampling may facilitate the process and improve the outcome, but it is not absolutely necessary.

I understand what you are saying, but your argument here presumes that oversampling is something like "running at an integer multiple of 44.1/48/96k", whereas the more correct engineering definition would be "running at any sampling rate in excess of the critical sampling rate".  So in your example of sampling a record at 48khz and then low passing a little below that, you would by definition be oversampled by whatever the bandwidth of your digital filter is. 

Reply #57
True given that we assume that the source digitizer is incompetently designed, and the analog input signal  has significant content above the Nyquist frequency.  However, this is false in many cases.

For example, I'm digitizing a LP that was mastered from from a 44 KHz 48 KHz, or 50 kHz sampled digital master. There are a ton of these.  There is by definition no useful content above 22 or 25 KHz to be aliased unless the LP was incompetently made or badly damaged.

Another example is digitizing that is simply done competently as it generally is done. In a competent digitizer, the ADC is as a matter of course equipped with a filter with a sharp cutoff at or below Nyquist.

Even cheap audio interfaces and AVRs contain competently designed ADCs that do not alias.

Sure, but that is irrelevant to what WernerO asked.

Been there, done that. I suggest you do the same at your earliest convenience. ;-)

I'm sorry but if you ask "where did the images come from", which you did, then you are clueless about sampling. So whatever you did, it was not understanding sampling.

So go ahead and answer your own question. I'm highly curious about your answer.

Reply #58

Sure, but that is irrelevant to what WernerO asked.

I guess Xnor you can't read well enough to know that I am not answering Werner o's question in this post. A person with normal intelligence and familiarity with reading threads might notice that his name appears nowhere in my answer.

I was answering your poorly informed claim:  "Aliasing happens at the time of sampling, so aliasing has already happened when you have those 44.1 kHz samples."

In fact, in general there is no aliasing in most 44.1 KHz data streams for a variety of good and well-known reasons.

To reiterate what has apparently already flown over your head once Xnor, aliasing does not have to happen at the time of sampling. It takes circumstances that are not always present, for it to happen to an audible degree.  In fact those circumstances might be pretty rare in general. 

I can understand how a person who lacks significant practical familiarity with how modern digital works in the real world might think otherwise.

Reply #59

Reply #60

Oversampling may facilitate the process and improve the outcome, but it is not absolutely necessary.

I understand what you are saying, but your argument here presumes that oversampling is something like "running at an integer multiple of 44.1/48/96k", whereas the more correct engineering definition would be "running at any sampling rate in excess of the critical sampling rate".  So in your example of sampling a record at 48khz and then low passing a little below that, you would by definition be oversampled by whatever the bandwidth of your digital filter is.

Completely wrong headed, as exemplified by the fact that I clearly said "I'm digitizing a LP that was mastered from from a 44 KHz 48 KHz, or 50 kHz sampled digital master."

What I did not say clearly was the sample rate of my new recording. Let's say it was 96 KHz or 176 KHz  or even some other odd frequency >> 50 KHz...

You assumed... wrongly.

Reply #61

Completely wrong headed, as exemplified by the fact that I clearly said "I'm digitizing a LP that was mastered from from a 44 KHz 48 KHz, or 50 kHz sampled digital master."

What I did not say clearly was the sample rate of my new recording. Let's say it was 96 KHz or 176 KHz  or even some other odd frequency >> 50 KHz...

You assumed... wrongly.

I fail to see what your point is.  Aside from disagreeing with my example, what does this have to do with anything?

Reply #62
Nothing, he just brings up examples that evade the issues and questions, and then later claims you are wrong for not reacting to his constructed examples before he even posted them... in other words, you're not a freaking clairvoyant.

Reply #63
I can understand how a person who lacks significant practical familiarity with how modern digital works in the real world might think otherwise.

Dunning-Krueger

Would you please answer your question "where did the images come from" instead of evading?

Oh, I found something:
The Philips DACs that introduced oversampling justified their use of oversampling with its dynamic range/SNR benefits. not any improvements in bandpass. 

(emphasis by me)
Are you serious? 
This demonstrates a complete lack of understanding for sampling and reconstruction.

But please elaborate on this.

Reply #64

This speaks volumes.

Reply #65
Even if you don't oversample, you still need a low-pass filter cutting out anything above Nyquist (Safari wants to correct this to Nyqvist, I guess Swedish actors can afford to get their names into spelling checkers, while science goes overlooked.) or else you get, well, imaging.

Reply #66
Arny does not seem to want to come back.
Anyway, I will still post so that others can understand.

Two signals in the time domain:

Now in the frequency domain (analog signal - continuous spectrum):

Frequency domain (sampled signal - discrete spectrum):

(x-axis in sampling rates, so 0.5 would be Nyquist)

That is why you need a reconstruction filter, that suppresses images >0.5.
And this also explains aliasing. If the spectrum was broader, or the sampling rate lower, then these spectra would overlap.

Reply #67
I fail to see what your point is.  Aside from disagreeing with my example, what does this have to do with anything?

I feel like I'm dealing with Golden Ears who think that everything matters, all of the time.  No concept of or understanding of quantification.

If there is -100 dB of it, then they panic, thinkng it is going to fry their precious high end amplifiers and tweeters;.

None of them have apparently ever done any ABX testing relating to the audibility of aliasing, imaging or the modulation effects.

Reply #68
I don't see anyone panicking but you, Arny.

Where did anyone in this thread say anything about audibility of -100 dB aliasing? And saratoga didn't even make a point about audibility...

Reply #69
True given that we assume that the source digitizer is incompetently designed,

The only incompetence in this thread is yours.

This thread is not the first one that shows up your ignorance with respect to sampling.

What is staggering is that you refuse to learn.

Reply #70
I don't see anyone panicking but you, Arny.

Me worry? ;-)

I may be the only person posting on this thread who has heard a 44/16 system that lacks low pass filtering.

Have you?

Typical debating trade tactic - turn the argument around.  Two can play!

Where did anyone in this thread say anything about audibility of -100 dB aliasing? And saratoga didn't even make a point about audibility...

I just threw that number out to get a response, a tactic that obviously worked.

So if its not -100 dB, give us a number for how much low pass filtering is required, if you know one... ;-)

Reply #71
After all this time, we really have to go back and discuss the sampling theorem? It's sad to see how carefully demonstrated and build up reputation can be so utterly be destroyed by just a few silly statements.

Arny, I hereby warn you to watch your tone (ToS #2), and stop ad-hominem and argument-from-authority bullshit, and stop derailing this and other topics (ToS #5).
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #72
After all this time, we really have to go back and discuss the sampling theorem? It's sad to see how carefully demonstrated and build up reputation can be so utterly be destroyed by just a few silly statements.

You might want to point out where there were actual problems of that kind.

Reply #73
I may be the only person posting on this thread who has heard a 44/16 system that lacks low pass filtering.

Have you?

That, of course, completely negates all the nonsense you've produced above ... NOT. And it is again completely irrelevant.

I actually have "heard" aliasing and imaging with different kind of filters and even without, but according to you, there are no images because they are impossible, right?
That's because you don't understand sampling.

I just threw that number out to get a response, a tactic that obviously worked.

So if its not -100 dB, give us a number for how much low pass filtering is required, if you know one... ;-)

It seems I have to repeat things for you several times until you get them: saratoga didn't even make a point about audibility.

There is no single number you can put on that anyway. I will not engage further in your red herrings.

Reply #74
There is no single number you can put on that anyway.

Of course there is a whole raft of single numbers that can put on the ear's tolerance for digital artifacts. Let's start with -140 dB and work upwards...

But more seriously, we can use the applicable Fletcher Munson curve.

Finally, it would seem like the well known masking curves would apply. 

Not single numbers but limiting the answers to single numbers is not a goal post that I moved.

Is it?