Skip to main content
Topic: Why vorbisgain doesn't allow to specify REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN? (Read 5768 times) previous topic - next topic

Why vorbisgain doesn't allow to specify REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN?

So I'm just entering the world of lossy audio codecs and this is my very first post here. I tried very hard to find the reason for not being able to specify the track gain value from vorbisgain. I can just specify album gain.

Well, it's true I can run vorbisgain to normalize at 89 dB and the run vorbistagedit or vorbiscomment to manually by summing up the value I want to the value of REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN.
Example:  I want to put all my files with 95 dB of loudness. From 89 dB to 95 dB I need to add 6 dB. So, if REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN=2 dB (generated by vorbisgain), I'll sum 6 dB to complete 95 dB. Then, REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN=8 dB.

Is there any legitimate reason developers don't want the end user to automatically track gain a file?
At least I'd tested with a file and then played with ogg123 and had no issues(distortion etc).

Thanks in advance!

Reply #1
Is there any legitimate reason developers don't want the end user to automatically track gain a file?

That defeats the purpose of the program, which is to calculate a track gain value.  If you already know the value, vorbisgain isn't needed, and so there isn't really a need for that option.

It sounds though like you're trying to actually force the software to use a different loudness standard than replaygain specifies.  In which case, usually you do this adjustment during playback using a preamp value.  Changing the definition in the tags breaks compatibility.

Reply #2
saratoga, I liked your idea. So I will just run vorbisgain and use any music player with pre amp function. Thanks for the clarification.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2018