Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New ABX tool for Android: Simple ABX Tester (Read 4230 times) previous topic - next topic

New ABX tool for Android: Simple ABX Tester

First of all, hi everyone, I'm new here.

A while ago, I decided to familiarize myself with android development. I decided that I should do so by making a simple abx testing app, since none existed for android at the time and I thought it might prove handy to someone. I stumbled upon this forum while researching multiple topics, and it proved extremely useful in many ways. Now that app has reached a usable state, I hope you won't mind I am advertising it here  .
The app is called "Simple ABX Tester", and is available on Google Play Store.

Capabilities as of now:
  • Automated mp3 tests: it ships with lame, and is able to encode flac and wav to common cbr and vbr mp3 qualities. It uses mpg123 based library shipped with lame for decoding.
  • Intuitive and imo rather nice interfaces: ABXY one inspired by Foobar's abx plugin, where you drag and drop tracks you think are the same, and ABX one where you have just one reference and select which of the two choice tracks sound like it.
  • Self prepared mode where you provide wav decodings of whatever format, and which app synchronizes if needed, to facilitate seamless switching (no silences or popping noises that mess with your concentration or that serve as tells).

So, I'd appreciate if you guys would check it out, provide feedback, suggestions, criticisms, questions etc.

One thing that might be disappointing for now is limited format support. Inputs are only stereo flac or wav @44.1kHz, 16 bps; it can only encode to mp3, everything else you want to test must be externally decoded to wav. I plan to improve on all of that in the future, especially if it garners any interest here.

TLDR: new abx testing app for Android: "Simple ABX Tester". Check it out.

Reply #1
You may be getting into trouble here on several levels, not the least of which is that by shipping a lame binary you may be violating copyright laws.

Also, if you are charging for this software then the mods may not approve of your coming here simply to advertise it.

Reply #2
You may be getting into trouble here on several levels, not the least of which is that by shipping a lame binary you may be violating copyright laws.

Also, if you are charging for this software then the mods may not approve of your coming here simply to advertise it.

Yes, that's why the app s completely free, and I settled for seeking no monetary gains from it ever, not even by ads.

I am aware of lame part, but it is a calculated risk. As said, monetary gains are nor expected, nor desired, to avoid such troubles. Target audience is relatively small. Also, no mp3 file is outputed to the user, and precautions are made to not make it available: one could theoretically reverse engineer it to do so, but why bother, since there are, even on android, numerous apps with huge user bases that feature lame, and have no legal troubles, since they are not commercial, or not commercial enough to attract interests from patent holders, which are due to expire soon anyways.

In the end, app could switch to use third party providers of encoding services, if any sort of legal trouble arises, or skip that part altogether, as it would serve purpose without that part too, only one would need to encode everything manually and outside of the app.