Skip to main content

Poll

Where do you get your music from (primary)?

• CD - new, bought online or in local stores
    99 (25%)
  • CD - used, bought online or in local stores
    75 (18.9%)
  • CD - used, borrowed or rented
    32 (8.1%)
  • DVD or SACD - new, bought online or in local stores
    11 (2.8%)
  • DVD or SACD - used, bought online or in local stores
    9 (2.3%)
  • DVD or SACD - used, borrowed or rented
    4 (1%)
  • iTunes
    25 (6.3%)
  • Other online store (e.g. Google Play, Amazon, etc.)
    69 (17.4%)
  • I use Spotify, Deezer or other streaming services
    30 (7.6%)
  • Other (e.g. Vinyl)
    42 (10.6%)

Total Members Voted: 234

Topic: Where do you get your music from? (Read 16199 times) previous topic - next topic

Hotsoup and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
  • Porcus
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Where do you get your music from?
Reply #50
Where does my music come from? The stork brings it, wrapped up in a handkerchief.

Just miraculously showing up Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Re: Where do you get your music from?
Reply #51
Mostly old/used CDs I pick up dirt-cheap from Amazon, E-Bay, and Discogs. Occasionally, I'll get something brand new, but that's increasingly rare these days.

Sometimes, bandcamp has an album not available, or extortionately available, on disc; even better, they're lossless, unlike Amazon and iTunes, which I've never taken to. I'll only spend money on either music on CDS or lossless digital; the freedom to encode anyfformat I want that a lossless source grants is of Paramount importance to me.

Streaming music? Bleh! I like things local.

Reply #52
I get my music from everywhere...

• Retailers like Best Buy, Walmart or Target
  • Record stores (preferably the Audio CD format and brand new)
  • Used off the internet from places like eBay and Amazon.
  • Brand new from reputable online retailers such as Amazon, CDJapan, etc.
  • I have an iTunes account that I buy songs from.
  • Video games.  I record from an actual console or extract the streams on a case by case basis for each game.
  • Live TV (LOL), I did this once actually.
  • Download a few MIDIs from independent artists, the ones that come with soundfonts or mention which soundfont or synthesizer to use does make life a hell lot easier, nothing stops me from trying to make a MIDI sound more pleasant to me on a favorite synthesizer if I can't find out what I'm supposed to use.

• polemon
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #53
To be brutally honest: I often use plain old Youtube. Not all of it, but a lot of it is just there, and it's super easy to use. Also, it works everywhere.

• EpicForever
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #54
From all these sources except streaming services like deezer or spotify...

It depends on various things like:
- availability (if something is available on vinyl only - then there is no alternative and I buy vinyl - used or new)
- if I like whole contents of release or not (if not - I go Beatport, Junodownload, even Google Play or itunes to get just the track that I like)
- if new items are still available (well, you can't easily buy new CD that was released 10 years ago and was never re-released)

I rather don't use SACD and DVD-A, as music released in these formats is mostly far from my music taste or lies on its edge and investment in SACD/DVD-A is exaggeration.

• kode54
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
  • Administrator
Reply #55
I've bought a few CDs, and also acquired lossless and even lossy rips either by shady means or by purchasing downloads directly, but mostly these days I listen to streaming music. I just switched from Spotify to Apple Music again last month.

Reply #56
I just switched from Spotify to Apple Music again last month.

I've been tossing up between these two services; have you found one to be superior to the other?
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.