Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Best lame settings for mono recordings? (Read 3454 times) previous topic - next topic

Best lame settings for mono recordings?

Hi.  I'm using lame v3.91.  I normally use lame --alt-preset standard for encoding stereo wav files to mp3, and I'm very happy with the results.

I have some cds of older mono recordings that I'd like to encode.  Although they are older, they are of fairly high quality for the most part, so I want to do a decent job with compression, with a quality similar to --alt-preset standard.

Currently I use --alt-preset standard -m m to select mono mode.  Is this the best way to do it?  It seems to use a minimum block size of 128kbps, same as stereo, but I would think to achieve a comparable quality a smaller minimum block size could be used with mono, as there is only one channel instead of two.  Would lowering the minimum bocksize with the -b option be appropriate in this case?  Is there a different alt-preset which is optimized for mono?  What minimum blocksize should I choose to get results comparable to --alt-preset standard on stereo recordings?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best lame settings for mono recordings?

Reply #1
"--alt-preset standard -b 80" works well for mono recordings