Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Amp power and current (Read 52832 times) previous topic - next topic

Amp power and current

Reply #75
Assume you have a volume control with a couple fixed positions. From the fully-turned-up position (no attenuation) to the next lower position it might only be a 1 dB difference, but from the 3rd to last to the 2nd to last position the difference could be 10 dB.
So you turn up from silence: wow, huge volume increase with each step. But these get smaller and smaller...

Yes but then that's what I asked about earlier on in the thread. I said :

A stronger amp may have lower gain over the same relative position on the volume pot, so at the same relative level, the sound may be perceived as "laid back", or "sterile", or "flat sounding" etc, because the sound is softer at the same relative position. And the opposite can happen with a less powerful amp - at the same relative position on the volume knob it may be significantly louder, but then further rotation will make less and less difference.

So then my earlier comments were correct?

Amp power and current

Reply #76
Certainly not if differences in level still exist or either of the amps is clipping.

I guess I could introduce another monkey wrench that has been ignored up until now:
There's a possibility that the volume control was designed to try to compensate for Fletcher Munson.  Now that might be categorizable as "secret sauce".

FWIW, I've seen feeble attempts at this on placebophile-grade gear which I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

Amp power and current

Reply #77
An amp whose volume control progresses to a low attenuation state with very little rotation of its knob can make the amp seem more powerful. This is one of the oldest tricks in the book going back to the beginnings of mass market radio in the 1920s and 1930s.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you mean by attenuation in the above context. Based on what you're saying there is more signal with less rotation of the knob, but it sounds like the opposite. Apologies if I misunderstood your meaning.

I'm thinking you've got the idea - there is a greater increase for a given amount of rotation at low volumes then there is at high volumes.

But if the volume knobs of amps are different, and the gain, that also means that different preamps can sound different just because of the implementation of the volume controls and the gain of the preamp? Correct?

Right, which is why to do a listening test right, you measure the outputs of the UUTs with a voltmeter and match that for the same inputs. You ignore the volume control setting required. 

Now you get why knowledgeable people frown when people start talking about volume control settings - they can and often do mean nothing in terms of actual performance.

So if someone does claim adding a preamp made an audible change, then it isn't really so far-fetched given the variables above. But not because of any inherent secret sauce, but more because of changes in loudness from preamp to preamp.

Exactly!

Since audiophiles generally don't match levels precisely, their comparisons are pretty much guaranteed to involve audible differneces. But the cause  of the difference has nothing to do with inherent sound quality - its all about their poor level matching.

Add in the long switching delays, and everything is pretty much guaranteed to sound different, even two identical copies of the same make and model of equipment.

Amp power and current

Reply #78
Why don't you read what I write instead of making assumptions about you think I wrote? It's also getting annoying! You just come crashing in and start stirring the pot. Why can't you stay away from my threads?

Because what you write tends to incomprehensible.  Your statement above about different volumes sounding different . . . are we supposed to assume that you didn't realize that volume control could make something sound more or less loud?

It was said earlier that different volume controls have different attenuation and different amps have different gains. So based on this I assume that comparing preamps at specific volumes will be invalidated based on the these two things.

This is what I'm talking about.  How am I supposed to interpret this statement?  Taken literally you seem to be asking if it is possible for two different volume controls can have different ranges.  The answer is obviously yes, different volume controls can work differently, but I don't think that is the question you are asking (or if it is its a profoundly stupid question).  Since you don't ask the question you want answered, one must try to guess what you really want to know which is obnoxious.

I'm just trying to understand this. I don't appreciate the badgering.

If you don't want people to be annoyed at you, maybe you could try a little harder to ask smart questions.

Amp power and current

Reply #79
An amp whose volume control progresses to a low attenuation state with very little rotation of its knob can make the amp seem more powerful. This is one of the oldest tricks in the book going back to the beginnings of mass market radio in the 1920s and 1930s.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you mean by attenuation in the above context. Based on what you're saying there is more signal with less rotation of the knob, but it sounds like the opposite. Apologies if I misunderstood your meaning.

I'm thinking you've got the idea - there is a greater increase for a given amount of rotation at low volumes then there is at high volumes.

But if the volume knobs of amps are different, and the gain, that also means that different preamps can sound different just because of the implementation of the volume controls and the gain of the preamp? Correct?

Right, which is why to do a listening test right, you measure the outputs of the UUTs with a voltmeter and match that for the same inputs. You ignore the volume control setting required. 

Now you get why knowledgeable people frown when people start talking about volume control settings - they can and often do mean nothing in terms of actual performance.

So if someone does claim adding a preamp made an audible change, then it isn't really so far-fetched given the variables above. But not because of any inherent secret sauce, but more because of changes in loudness from preamp to preamp.

Exactly!

Since audiophiles generally don't match levels precisely, their comparisons are pretty much guaranteed to involve audible differneces. But the cause  of the difference has nothing to do with inherent sound quality - its all about their poor level matching.

Add in the long switching delays, and everything is pretty much guaranteed to sound different, even two identical copies of the same make and model of equipment.

Thanks Arny! Cleared things up for me.

A few months ago I believed very different things. Thinking about it now it seems funny how people can compare *anything* if they compare things differently. The conditions need to be the same for both components, otherwise the comparison is invalidated. I finally understand that now.

Thanks.

Amp power and current

Reply #80
Arnyk, you mentioned a while ago in the thread that amps that aren't playing that loud can more easily handle low impedance loads.

So if you have an amp that isn't playing loud, that means it has more current available. The louder you play, the less current you have available until you reach a point where you exceed the available current and the amp clips?

Amp power and current

Reply #81
So if you have an amp that isn't playing loud, that means it has more current available. The louder you play, the less current you have available until you reach a point where you exceed the available current and the amp clips?

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think that? And are you familiar with Ohm's Law and the relationship between voltage, current and power?

Do you know how a traditional, linear, non-regulated power supply works? Are you familiar with what a capacitor does?

Amp power and current

Reply #82
Just out of curiosity, what makes you think that
?

Well, Arnyk said that if you reduce SPL by 6 dB that it doubles the effectiveness an amp driving low impedance loads. So naturally I thought that means that if you don't listen loud, that there is more current available from the amp.

And are you familiar with Ohm's Law and the relationship between voltage, current and power?

Vaguely.

Do you know how a traditional, linear, non-regulated power supply works? Are you familiar with what a capacitor does?

I don't think so, but why are you asking? Are you saying what I said above was wrong?

Amp power and current

Reply #83
Are you familiar with what a capacitor does?

I think a capacitor stores energy. Beyond that, not much else.

Amp power and current

Reply #84
Just out of curiosity, what makes you think that
?

Well, Arnyk said that if you reduce SPL by 6 dB that it doubles the effectiveness an amp driving low impedance loads.

?????

I don't think so, but why are you asking? Are you saying what I said above was wrong?

An amp has some finite maximum power it can deliver, so in that sense you are correct.  But I would not assume that turning down the volume has any impact on how well you drive a low impedance load unless the amp is already overloading.  To put it another way a better statement would be "turning up the volume too high can eventually overload the amp".  I would leave impedance out of that statement.

Amp power and current

Reply #85
Arnyk, you mentioned a while ago in the thread that amps that aren't playing that loud can more easily handle low impedance loads.

If you think about the question, the answer is reasonably obvious. The amp does not have "current available" it has potential, or reserve, that isn't being called upon. Playing at low volume means you're further from the limit. A low impedance load demands more current for any given voltage.

Try plugging some figures into Ohm's law or the the power calculation formulae, P=V^2/R or P=I^2*R, placing limits on the "allowed" values for I and V and see the consequences, trying a couple of values for R, your speaker impedance.

Thinking of it as "current available" isn't the best way. Can you fill a 40-gallon bathtub from a 50-gallon tank? Yes. Would a 500-gallon tank help? No! If the bathtub were 100 gallons instead, however, the former just won't do.

Amp power and current

Reply #86
If you think about the question, the answer is reasonably obvious. The amp does not have "current available" it has potential, or reserve, that isn't being called upon. Playing at low volume means you're further from the limit. A low impedance load demands more current for any given volta

Yes, I think this is what Arnold meant. If you back the volume down by 6 dB you double the amps ability to handle low impedance loads.

Amp power and current

Reply #87
????

This is what Arnold said in the audible clipping thread :

Remember that simply not running an amp at such a high wattage dramatically improves its ability to power low impedance loads.

Reducing the SPL by 6 dB roughly doubles the ability of an amp to drive low impedance loads. IOW an amp that can drive a 6 ohm speaker to a certain peak voltage can drive a 3 ohm speaker to half that voltage. This is important because very few people actually push their equipment anywhere near its maximum capacity, and if they do most only do so very infrequently.

As a rule speakers have highly variable impedance curves so whether the amp actually sees the low impedance segments of the speaker's impedance curve critically depends on the distribution of frequencies versus power in the music

Amp power and current

Reply #88
????

This is what Arnold said in the audible clipping thread :

So basically, if you are clipping, lowering the volume helps.  I would not read too much into that...

Amp power and current

Reply #89
Thinking of it as "current available" isn't the best way. Can you fill a 40-gallon bathtub from a 50-gallon tank? Yes. Would a 500-gallon tank help? No! If the bathtub were 100 gallons instead, however, the former just won't do.

My understanding is that the current is determined by the impedance of the speaker, but also varies depending on the voltages applied. At a lower voltage, less current is required and at a higher voltage, more current will be required. So by lowering the voltage, you kind of give the amp breathing space and more headroom to handle low impedance dips.

That's what I took away from his comment.

Amp power and current

Reply #90
So basically, if you are clipping, lowering the volume helps. I would not read too much into that...

But that's not what he said. He said not running the amp at a high wattage dramatically improves its ability to power low impedance loads. No clipping was mentioned in that post.

Amp power and current

Reply #91
My understanding is that the current is determined by the impedance of the speaker, but also varies depending on the voltages applied.
Ohm's Law: Current = Voltage/Impedance.  (With units of Volts, Ohms, and Amps.)

Half the voltage = Half the current and 1/4th the power (with constant resistance/impedance).
Half the impedance = twice the current and 2 times the power (with voltage held constant).

Cut 'em both in half and you get the same current (with half the power).

Amp power and current

Reply #92
My understanding is that the current is determined by the impedance of the speaker, but also varies depending on the voltages applied.

More accurately, the current is proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the impedance of the load.

Do you agree with and understand that sentence?

At a lower voltage, less current is required and at a higher voltage, more current will be required.

There is no "required". You are not "asking" or "demanding" current. If you put more pressure in a water pipe, more water will flow through it per unit of time. You don't "ask" or "demand" more water.

So by lowering the voltage, you kind of give the amp breathing space and more headroom to handle low impedance dips.

No. The amp doesn't need "breathing space", and the headroom will be constant.

Amp power and current

Reply #93
Vaguely.

Right. That is the problem here. We are talking about technical equipment, and many of us have university degrees in electrical engineering, acoustics and other relevant fields. Ohm's law is high scool physics stuff.

It is totally OK not to have a degree in electronics, but when you don't understand something, your way of communicating that is to question what you have been told. I hope you can understand our frustration with that. Disagreeing is OK if you actually know what you are talking about, and can explain why - but it is a rather ineffective way to deal with not understanding.

Yes.

Amp power and current

Reply #94
There is no "required". You are not "asking" or "demanding" current. If you put more pressure in a water pipe, more water will flow through it per unit of time. You don't "ask" or "demand" more water.

Then instead of required, I could use the word "needed"? The current that the amp must supply to the speaker is lower if the voltages are lower, and higher if the voltages are higher. That's all I was saying.

No. The amp doesn't need "breathing space", and the headroom will be constant.

But why is headroom constant? Are you saying Arnold's explanation that I posted earlier was wrong?

It is totally OK not to have a degree in electronics, but when you don't understand something, your way of communicating that is to question what you have been told. I hope you can understand our frustration with that. Disagreeing is OK if you actually know what you are talking about, and can explain why - but it is a rather ineffective way to deal with not understanding.

That's my way of processing the information. You might not like it, but that's how I do things.

Amp power and current

Reply #95
So basically, if you are clipping, lowering the volume helps. I would not read too much into that...

But that's not what he said. He said not running the amp at a high wattage dramatically improves its ability to power low impedance loads. No clipping was mentioned in that post.

The assumption here is that you are understanding what is being said in previous posts and applying it to subsequent posts.  If you just take each post in isolation, then you are learning nothing, and simply wasting everyone's time (not the least your own).

Then instead of required, I could use the word "needed"?

This is worst possible question you could ask.  The point of this task is not memorization.  Rather, the goal is that you integrate what you are being told into some sort of working model of how things work.  Either do that or do not bother.

That's my way of processing the information. You might not like it, but that's how I do things.

The way you want to think about this will not work.

Amp power and current

Reply #96
This is worst possible question you could ask. The point of this task is not memorization. Rather, the goal is that you integrate what you are being told into some sort of working model of how things work. Either do that or do not bother.

So why are you making life difficult for me? Show me how I've misunderstood the point rather than give me a lesson in how to understand things.

Amp power and current

Reply #97
The assumption here is that you are understanding what is being said in previous posts and applying it to subsequent posts. If you just take each post in isolation, then you are learning nothing, and simply wasting everyone's time (not the least your own).

So how am I supposed to learn if I'm getting contradictory information?

Amp power and current

Reply #98
The way you want to think about this will not work.

Stop criticising me for the way I ask questions and address the points I made on their own merits!