Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: two hi rez vs redbook train wrecks in progress (Read 91332 times) previous topic - next topic

two hi rez vs redbook train wrecks in progress

Reply #200
Appreciate that no one in the world is asking your permission
No one needs anyone's permission to waste their own money, but if they claim a double-blind test has confirmed the results of a sighted test, when it hasn't, it's hardly a waste of forum bandwidth to call them to account.

Purchasing unnecessarily "high resolution" formats may not harm your listening enjoyment of those tracks. Yet if the benefits are just placebo, it's stopping you (and only true believers like yourself) from fully enjoying the genuine and sometimes equal sonic delights of music not available in "high resolution". So, ironically, your belief in hi-res is damaging your enjoyment of most of the music ever recorded. Assuming you want to listen to music, rather than inaudible bits, that's a pretty serious problem - and, if it's all placebo, a problem created by your own delusions. What music lover would wish that on themselves?

The industry obsession with hi-res to the detriment of other things is the real problem. Hi-res is insatiable. You can always add more bits. This is a substitute for real progress. 40 years ago who would have thought the vast majority of music production today would still be 2-channel stereo?

EDIT I probably put it better here...
http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php...mp;#entry871968

Cheers,
David.

Reply #201
Appreciate that no one in the world is asking your permission
No one needs anyone's permission to waste their own money, but if they claim a double-blind test has confirmed the results of a sighted test, when it hasn't, it's hardly a waste of forum bandwidth to call them to account.

Wasting money is a personal judgement call.  How many people live in a one-bedroom apartment instead of a multi-room house?  Drive an SUV instead of beat up $400 junker?  This is a technical forum so I hope we don't resort to non-technical arguments. 

As to the test, I have done all that is asked of me to do.  Test after test.  I just ran yours.  Twice: once with old ABX and once with new.  I have run Krab's test.  I have run Arny's test.  I have run Arny's IM test.  I have run Archmiago's test.  At some point you either have to consider your method of getting data that you believe to be faulty, or the fact that we don't all hear the same.  And if we don't, you can't judge what I can hear using yours or Meyer and Moran's.

Purchasing unnecessarily "high resolution" formats may not harm your listening enjoyment of those tracks. Yet if the benefits are just placebo, it's stopping you (and only true believers like yourself) from fully enjoying the genuine and sometimes equal sonic delights of music not available in "high resolution".

This is not like religion where I have to either be a jewish person or Christian. I can and do buy music in all digital formats.  I do without compressed content but I buy a ton of CDs.  And I enjoy them just the same as the content itself is more important to me than fidelity.

And I don't know why you label me as "true believer."  I am firmly in objectivity camp as evidenced by running double blind ABX test after test.  I do not believe in sighted subjective tests, nor have I put one forward for anyone to believe.  What I have offered are authoritative research that explains why 16/44.1 may not be enough for all content and all listeners.  During the years people kept saying, "oh but how about a double blind ABX test.  I bet you can't pass it."  Well, I have passed more of them than anyone should.

So, ironically, your belief in hi-res is damaging your enjoyment of most of the music ever recorded. Assuming you want to listen to music, rather than inaudible bits, that's a pretty serious problem - and, if it's all placebo, a problem created by your own delusions. What music lover would wish that on themselves?

I assume the "you" is the generic you and not me.  Neither here, nor on any other forum have I taken the position you mention.  But do have a story to share with you .

I have had a chronic foot pain which my foot doctor has been trying to diagnose.  He has run every test and some of them twice .  We have tried every type of medication and while some relief has come, we are only half way there as far as eliminating the pain.  And the pain is in both feet.

So a few months ago when I grill him on what to do next he says, "why don't you go and get acupuncture!"  I am shocked that a foot doctor/surgeon would send me to such alternative medicine.  Being who I am, I ask him if there has been any blind studies to show there is any benefit.  His answer?  "Well, it is kind of hard to administer placebo to a patient in the form of needles ."  And that, "if the pain is reduced, we take it, placebo or not!"

So I go the acupuncture and to my amazement it makes a big difference (initially).  On my next visit the acupuncture doctor asks how I was doing.  I said I got a lot better but I don't know if that was because of the placebo effect or his needles.  He is a very nice doctor but he was doing his best to suppress his anger. 

This time he has me lay on my stomach and says he has to put some needles on my buttocks.  I don't know what that has to do with my foot but I go along.  He proceeds to pull down my drawers and then asks, "so you are a fan of pink floyd?"  If I were not laying down, I would have fallen on the floor!  How the the heck did he know what music I like?  Maybe it is in my DNA and he can feel it with the needles?  Sigh of relief came to me when I remembered that my wife had gotten me these shorts for Xmas present.  What a relief. 

The industry obsession with hi-res to the detriment of other things is the real problem. Hi-res is insatiable. You can always add more bits. This is a substitute for real progress. 40 years ago who would have thought the vast majority of music production today would still be 2-channel stereo?

There is no industry obsession with hi-res.  Those times came and went.  The record companies are practically dead.  And the hardware companies out of business or losing money hand over fist selling audio gear.  The only obsession is on forums like this with people fighting a forgotten war.  Everything has changed with the advent of the Internet and computer based music.  But folks still think we are debating SACD/DVD-A vs CD.  We are not.

Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, AudioScienceReview.com

Reply #202
Test after test.  I just ran yours.  Twice: once with old ABX and once with new.  I have run Krab's test.  I have run Arny's test.  I have run Arny's IM test.  I have run Archmiago's test.  At some point you either have to consider your method of getting data that you believe to be faulty, or the fact that we don't all hear the same.

All unsupervised. Now let's see you pass a JJ administered test, where you don't touch your computer and use only your ears.

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #203
Test after test.  I just ran yours.  Twice: once with old ABX and once with new.  I have run Krab's test.  I have run Arny's test.  I have run Arny's IM test.  I have run Archmiago's test.  At some point you either have to consider your method of getting data that you believe to be faulty, or the fact that we don't all hear the same.

All unsupervised. Now let's see you pass a JJ administered test, where you don't touch your computer and use only your ears.

I contacted JJ and he has already made this sign to put on my computer when we do the test:

For now, he had this to say on these tests: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-audio-the...ml#post26228025

Everyone: I have my doubts about everything. I do not intend to participate extensively in this rolling in the mud. Yes, rigorous training is required to do well in a difficult listening test. Yes, people who claim "day and night different" should not expect rigorous training to be necessary. Yes, tests need to be Double Blind, or computer administered for the same purpose. Yes, SACD is still a form of Delta-Sigma, and therefore PCM, no matter what Sony calls it.

Y'all have a nice day, now. Be nice to 807, be nice to Amir, and be nice to Arny.

Fare well.

So you better be nice to me from here on AJ or I will tell on you!

Amir

Reply #204
For now, he had this to say on these tests:

Yes, your cherry picked quote. But you ummm, "missed" this one a bit further down the line, so thanks for leading me to it  :

I have my doubts that SACD or DVDA are much, if any, of an improvement, but the test is just blisteringly hard to run, and more likely to respond to artifacts, either positively or negatively, than it is to actual differences. Time alignment, level alignment, frequency response in-band can all throw it positive, lack of training, bad test environment, bad time alignment, etc, can also cause false negatives. Subject verification, likewise, is an important issue.

So, I remain undecided, but I note that I own a lot of CD's and not a single SACD or DVDA, except for some people have sent me.

Of course, he could also doctor the test like in the BS paper, guarantee you results. But he probably won't.
So until then, we have ye of "+/_ 10% volume test" fabrications infamy and now your unsupervised ad hoc online computer test results, plus the doctored up BS tests as "proof" that it is possible to concoct 16/44 non-transparency. Which was never in doubt at all.

Btw, do you include listener training when selling Berkley DACs?

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #205
I laughed at "get with the times" and "degraded bits."

You talk as if there is an obvious difference that is soon to embraced by everyone.

Yes, this  ^^^^^^^.

Again, differences *can* be audible between hi rez and Redbook, e.g., due to difference in noise floors.  This has never been under dispute.  Meyer and Moran themselves reported one such scenario in their trials.*

But these are not *obviously* audible differences, as in *typically audible under normal listening conditions* (even to 'audiophiles').  They require careful listening to carefully selected segments, often using elevated playback levels.  Which renders highly suspect the multitude of audiophile gushings and ravings over hi rez releases since at least 2001, when 'hi rez' consumer formats began to appear.  Said gushings were typically 'sighted' of course, crippling them even further as evidence, and based on just  'using your ears'  in a hodgepodge of listening rooms and loudspeaker setups.  The hi-rez  releases themselves were often sourced  from analog...or sometimes even from  Redbook.  Nevertheless, the 'improvement' is often reported as immediate and obvious -- veils are lifted, musicians are suddenly 'in the room', tulips bloom in the garden.  Night and day!

So the elephant in the room is the question: How likely is it, really, that such reports -- which drive virtually  the 'hi rez'  hype, including Neil Young's high-profile crusade -- are at all credible?

None of the dancing and shucking and jiving and torrential rainbow-colored reposting from Amir  (or Atkinson or the rest of the high rez cheerleading corps for that matter) shifts that elephant one centimeter out of the room.  Neither does the new Meridian conference paper nor the half-baked Oohashi et al.  corpus, all of which rely on highly specified conditions (some of which are controversial at best, like Meridian's choices of dither) to make their points.** 

The hi rez hype is BS from some world-class BS artists, and people need to say that.

There are reasons to use 'hi rez' production, and even a few (technical) arguments why to offer it in consumer formats.  They are all 'safeguard' arguments: use higher SR and bit depths  *not* because hi rez has been shown to obviously  'sound better' , but because it make production (and in rare cases playback) less prone  to the introduction of audible artifacts.

Try selling that, Neil Young!

(*we can set aside an even more trivial yet more  common practice,  of using different mastering EQ and compression for CD vs 'hi rez' versions, which produces relatively gross audible differences that *are* 'obvious'.  Meyer and Moran noted this phenomenon too. Such differences entirely overwhelm any differences that are due to formats)

(**NB that M&M trials included some where the listeners chose their own material...presumably what they use for 'normal listening'.  M&M also used a list of hi rez releases,  drawn from 'pure' hi rez and analog-sourced.....just as normal listeners  tend to have.  That has *hardly ever* stopped the hi rez cheering section from praising the hi rez releases...until it became a 'fatal flaw' in M&M's test!)

Reply #206
I keep having to reread some sentences in this and other recent threads to try to deduce what's meant when people say, hypothetically for example, "The BS paper used doctored, down converted files which were purposefully done poorly", in order to figure out if "BS" means "Bob Stuart" or "Bull Sh*t". [Even though it may be both in some instances].

Moving forward, would people please kindly make clear which they mean? It would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply #207
I laughed at "get with the times" and "degraded bits."

You talk as if there is an obvious difference that is soon to embraced by everyone.

Yes, this  ^^^^^^^.

Again, differences *can* be audible between hi rez and Redbook, e.g., due to difference in noise floors.

stuart's AES test specifically says they avoided playback volume that would make the noise floor differences audible.  And no one who has passed these ABX tests has talked about hearing noise floors.

This has never been under dispute.  Meyer and Moran themselves reported one such scenario in their trials.*

But these are not *obviously* audible differences, as in *typically audible under normal listening conditions* (even to 'audiophiles').  They require careful listening to carefully selected segments, often using elevated playback levels.

They do.  Because we want to search for the truth rather than sticking our head in the sand by dumbing down the test enough that no one can hear. 

Which renders highly suspect the multitude of audiophile gushings and ravings over hi rez releases since at least 2001, when 'hi rez' consumer formats began to appear.

You are arguing with ghosts.  You created this thread due to me, and later others passing these tests.  None of us have expressed such sentiments.  We were challenged to tell the difference in double blind ABX tests using Foobar and we did following every instruction in that request.

What did that get us? Nothing.  More anger from our self-appointed objectivists.  What is the purpose of this data then? Why do you keep demanding double blind ABX tests if the outcome is a) already known according to you (i.e. the noise argument above) or b) you blow a gasket over it and call the results immaterial? 

You need to dial back your rhetoric Steven.  Clearly your impression of these tests are wrong.  I love to have you chime in with positive ABX test results of all of these tests we are discussing and represent that is due to noise floor.

So the elephant in the room is the question: How likely is it, really, that such reports -- which drive virtually  the 'hi rez'  hype, including Neil Young's high-profile crusade -- are at all credible?

The Forum TOS #5 says to not change the topic of a thread.  The thread is about our listening test and not some angst over high resolution audio market, Neil Young or whatever.  Create a new thread by the rules and I will come and respond.

None of the dancing and shucking and jiving and torrential rainbow-colored reposting from Amir  (or Atkinson or the rest of the high rez cheerleading corps for that matter) shifts that elephant one centimeter out of the room.  Neither does the new Meridian conference paper nor the half-baked Oohashi et al.  corpus, all of which rely on highly specified conditions (some of which are controversial at best, like Meridian's choices of dither) to make their points.**

Nothing I have done was supposed to reflect on the subjectivity camp.  It is designed to get our own house in order.  We run around challenging people left and right on double blind test this and double blind test that.  Always confident that our bluf works because the other guy won't go through the trouble of running such tests.  That is not objectivity.  Objectivity calls for fairness and lack of bias at all times.  I read anything but that in your posts, Arny, mzil, AJ, etc.

This is data for you.  You keep complaining that other side doesn't want to hear about listening tests results.  Yet, you are acting worse than the other camp.  At least they say they don't believe in DBTs.  What is your excuse Steven? 

You can't be part-time Vegetarian.  Either you live or die by double blind listening tests or you don't.  You think the ten commandments were given to you in Meyer and Moran hobbyist test while ignoring people's results who do this work professionally.  Why?  Because you don't like the outcome.  Because it would show your previous comments online across countless threads and posts be wrong. 

But that is to be expected.  You are not in this industry.  You substitute reading forums for real life experience.  Sit through hundreds of double blind tests as I have and then you get a good feel for what is right and what is wrong.  There is a reason even though I am an objectivists, I don't walk the line that you all do. 

(**NB that M&M trials included some where the listeners chose their own material...presumably what they use for 'normal listening'.  M&M also used a list of hi rez releases,  drawn from 'pure' hi rez and analog-sourced.....just as normal listeners  tend to have.  That has *hardly ever* stopped the hi rez cheering section from praising the hi rez releases...until it became a 'fatal flaw' in M&M's test!)

None of this matters.  Look in ITU Rec BS-1116. Do you see any of this as recommended practices?  When Dr. Olive performs listening tests, does he include people who created their own music?  Or does he use trained listeners who easily outperform normal listeners?

You are applying lay opinions to a highly technical and specialized field.  This is why you have a train wreck on your hands.  Dial back the confidence Steven.  Your position and that of Arny and others has been too extreme.  What you thought was impossible wasn't.  Logic would say it is time to be a bit more humble and not so aggressive with your posts.  But the tone continues.  So there is really no interest in data.  Or blind tests.
Amir

Reply #208
You want to have degraded bits AJ?

I define Degraded Bits as bits that sit there and do nothing but flip randomly because they are being activated by the environmental noise that is part of the original recording and/or the listening environment. Most CDs have about 4 of or more of their 16 bits flipping randomly or if you will, "Degraded".

Hey, I got this great idea - lets use 24 bit samples and double the number of degraded bits!

Reply #209
But these are not *obviously* audible differences, as in *typically audible under normal listening conditions* (even to 'audiophiles').  They require careful listening to carefully selected segments, often using elevated playback levels.  Which renders highly suspect the multitude of audiophile gushings and ravings over hi rez releases since at least 2001, when 'hi rez' consumer formats began to appear.  Said gushings were typically 'sighted' of course, crippling them even further as evidence, and based on just  'using your ears'  in a hodgepodge of listening rooms and loudspeaker setups.  The hi-rez  releases themselves were often sourced  from analog...or sometimes even from  Redbook.  Nevertheless, the 'improvement' is often reported as immediate and obvious -- veils are lifted, musicians are suddenly 'in the room', tulips bloom in the garden.  Night and day!

For about 10 years we had the ultimate blind test. Half or more of all of the recordings released were merely lower resolution recordings slavishly upsampled.  Yet no golden eared reviewer or audiophile seems to have ever noticed.

There were no lists of "True" and "Fake" high resolution recordings posted on audiophile forums. AFAIK No "Recommended High Resolution Recording List" ever graced the pages of Stereophile or TAS.

After a decade of audiophile blind testing, the answer is zero.

Reply #210
This is data for you.

Yep. "Data". "10x better performance". Etc, etc.
And your independently human administered, ITU BS1116 derived "data" can be found where??
Oh yes, that's right, all ad hoc, gameable, cheatable, non-supervised online files on ex-MS Amirs Windows computer. Hmmm...
Definitely not AES material!! 

None of this matters.  Look in ITU Rec BS-1116. Do you see any of this as recommended practices?

Agreed, immaterial and no, saw zero adherence to ITU Rec BS-1116 in your ad hoc online files test by you done on your Windows computer.
Ditto for the doctored BS tests, with your admitted "some" adherence.
That's great, we're making some real progress here Amir, that your tests and the doctored up BS tests are both non-ITU BS1116 bollocks.

Btw, when you sell Berkley DACs, what sort of listener training is included standard, for customers to reap the audible benefits?
Do you do in home noise levels analysis too? TIA.

cheers,

AJ
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #211
I repeat:

None of the dancing and shucking and jiving and torrential rainbow-colored reposting from Amir (or Atkinson or the rest of the high rez cheerleading corps for that matter) shifts that elephant one centimeter out of the room.

M&M's protocol were not ITU-standard but *were* arguably much closer to how 'audiophiles' typically evaluate difference in their own homes -- and come to such overwrought conclusions .  They compare 'hi rez' versions to Redbook versions of albums they own, not caring whether the source was analog, not minutely scrutizing reverb tails and fades with headphones, not confirming first that their loudspeakers and hardware were ultra-wideband,  not making sure beforehand to damp ambient noise such that they can exploit >96dB of dynamic range.

The crucial differences M&M introduced were 1) the mastering was assuredly the same and 2) comparisons were blind/level matched.

Those few factors were enough to  make 'night and day' difference vanish,  tulips stop growing in the garden, and lock that elephant firmly in the room. 

Or, more  simply:  highlight the bluster that is hi rez.

Reply #212
When Dr. Olive performs listening tests, does he include people who created their own music?  Or does he use trained listeners who easily outperform normal listeners?

Amir, he uses trained listeners because it makes Harmans job easier/more efficient. However: http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2008/12/loud...of-trained.html
And because I know you love multi-colored sciency looking graphs:

cheers,

AJ

Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #213

Yes, your cherry picked quote. But you ummm, "missed" this one a bit further down the line, so thanks for leading me to it  :

I have my doubts that SACD or DVDA are much, if any, of an improvement, but the test is just blisteringly hard to run, and more likely to respond to artifacts, either positively or negatively, than it is to actual differences. Time alignment, level alignment, frequency response in-band can all throw it positive, lack of training, bad test environment, bad time alignment, etc, can also cause false negatives. Subject verification, likewise, is an important issue.

So, I remain undecided, but I note that I own a lot of CD's and not a single SACD or DVDA, except for some people have sent me.

Not mentioned there but if you ever make it to JJ's house, you see that he has a collection of LPs.  Go ahead and hang yourself now AJ. 

You are asking me to violate TOS #5 of this forum so I am not going to follow you there.  Create a new thread and I will be happy to respond.

For now, this is the train wreck thread.  And here is another train to add to the list, this time in the form of Ethan Winer's generational loss:

foo_abx 1.3.4 report
foobar2000 v1.3.2
2014/07/18 06:34:21

File A: C:\Users\Amir\Music\Ethan Soundblaster\sb20x_original.wav
File B: C:\Users\Amir\Music\Ethan Soundblaster\sb20x_pass5.wav

06:34:21 : Test started.
06:35:00 : 01/01  50.0%
06:35:10 : 01/02  75.0%
06:35:21 : 01/03  87.5%
06:35:46 : 02/04  68.8%
06:35:58 : 03/05  50.0%
06:36:19 : 03/06  65.6%  <----- Difference found
06:36:28 : 04/07  50.0%
06:36:40 : 05/08  36.3%
06:36:51 : 06/09  25.4%
06:37:02 : 07/10  17.2%
06:37:11 : 08/11  11.3%
06:37:25 : 09/12  7.3%
06:37:36 : 10/13  4.6%
06:37:47 : 11/14  2.9%
06:37:58 : 12/15  1.8%
06:38:10 : 13/16  1.1%
06:38:24 : 14/17  0.6%
06:38:34 : 15/18  0.4%
06:38:50 : 16/19  0.2%
06:38:58 : 17/20  0.1%
06:39:12 : 18/21  0.1%
06:39:21 : 19/22  0.0%
06:39:38 : Test finished.

----------
Total: 19/22 (0.0%)

Above I am showing my search for critical section.  So when I tested the single generational loss (i.e. "most difficult") I knew what to listen for:

foo_abx 1.3.4 report
foobar2000 v1.3.2
2014/07/18 06:40:07

File B: C:\Users\Amir\Music\Ethan Soundblaster\sb20x_pass1.wav

06:40:07 : Test started.
06:41:03 : 01/01  50.0%
06:41:16 : 02/02  25.0%
06:41:24 : 03/03  12.5%
06:41:33 : 04/04  6.3%
06:41:53 : 05/05  3.1%
06:42:02 : 06/06  1.6%
06:42:22 : 07/07  0.8%
06:42:34 : 08/08  0.4%
06:42:43 : 09/09  0.2%
06:42:56 : 10/10  0.1%
06:43:08 : 11/11  0.0%
06:43:16 : Test finished.

----------
Total: 11/11 (0.0%)

I think he post a newer one in WBF Forum and I passed that too.  If I find it, and see you still posting random stuff AJ, I will post it. 
Amir

Reply #214

Not mentioned there but if you ever make it to JJ's house, you see that he has a collection of LPs.  Go ahead and hang yourself now AJ. 

You are asking me to violate TOS #5 of this forum so I am not going to follow you there.  Create a new thread and I will be happy to respond.

For now, this is the train wreck thread.  And here is another train to add to the list, this time in the form of Ethan Winer's generational loss:

foo_abx 1.3.4 report
foobar2000 v1.3.2
2014/07/18 06:34:21

File B: C:\Users\Amir\Music\Ethan Soundblaster\sb20x_pass5.wav

06:34:21 : Test started.
06:35:00 : 01/01  50.0%
06:35:10 : 01/02  75.0%
06:35:21 : 01/03  87.5%
06:35:46 : 02/04  68.8%
06:35:58 : 03/05  50.0%
06:36:19 : 03/06  65.6%  <----- Difference found
06:36:28 : 04/07  50.0%
06:36:40 : 05/08  36.3%
06:36:51 : 06/09  25.4%
06:37:02 : 07/10  17.2%
06:37:11 : 08/11  11.3%
06:37:25 : 09/12  7.3%
06:37:36 : 10/13  4.6%
06:37:47 : 11/14  2.9%
06:37:58 : 12/15  1.8%
06:38:10 : 13/16  1.1%
06:38:24 : 14/17  0.6%
06:38:34 : 15/18  0.4%
06:38:50 : 16/19  0.2%
06:38:58 : 17/20  0.1%
06:39:12 : 18/21  0.1%
06:39:21 : 19/22  0.0%
06:39:38 : Test finished.

----------
Total: 19/22 (0.0%)

Above I am showing my search for critical section.  So when I tested the single generational loss (i.e. "most difficult") I knew what to listen for:

foo_abx 1.3.4 report
foobar2000 v1.3.2
2014/07/18 06:40:07

File B: C:\Users\Amir\Music\Ethan Soundblaster\sb20x_pass1.wav

06:40:07 : Test started.
06:41:03 : 01/01  50.0%
06:41:16 : 02/02  25.0%
06:41:24 : 03/03  12.5%
06:41:33 : 04/04  6.3%
06:41:53 : 05/05  3.1%
06:42:02 : 06/06  1.6%
06:42:22 : 07/07  0.8%
06:42:34 : 08/08  0.4%
06:42:43 : 09/09  0.2%
06:42:56 : 10/10  0.1%
06:43:08 : 11/11  0.0%
06:43:16 : Test finished.

----------
Total: 11/11 (0.0%)

I think he post a newer one in WBF Forum and I passed that too.  If I find it, and see you still posting random stuff AJ, I will post it. 

Just another friendly reminder that since the results above do not use the new Fobar2000 ABX code, they may contain hidden errors that it would expose.

Reply #215
Amir, he uses trained listeners because it makes Harmans job easier/more efficient. However: http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2008/12/loud...of-trained.html
And because I know you love multi-colored sciency looking graphs:

Amir, could you please supply your data, showing the untrained Hi-Rez buying audiophile capable of detecting 16/44 artifacts on par with trained listeners....or anything whatsoever.

Sure.  When Arny post his tests, imagic (Mark) who writes articles for AVS Forum was so sure that no one could pass it.  He kept posting his results showing totally random outcomes.  See this as an example: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-audio-the...ml#post25756721

Total: 13/30 (81.9%)
Total: 11/30 (95.1%)

Then I post my results and explained how I was able to find the right segments and pass the double blind ABX test.  Remarkable thing happened next.  I let you read it in entirety: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-audio-the...io-test-71.html

Laptop? Practice?
Well, I decided to give my laptop a try since Amir did so well using his. Lo and behold, I had little difficulty with the 16/32 key jangling test. Not quite perfect, but I suspect a bit more practice would get me up to perfect.

My laptop is a Sony Vaio PCG-41412L with the HD upgraded to a SSD. All audio enhancements are off. I used a pair of Sony MDR-1R headphones.

The results speak for themselves; I found a critical segment that revealed an audible difference. I've had some practice, which helped—just as Amir suggested. Now, I can pass an ABX test I previously failed. I'll tackle the 16/44 test next. Oh, and it was a piece of cake to pick out the differences in the 16/16 and 22/16 tests.

foo_abx 1.3.4 report
foobar2000 v1.3.3
2014/07/19 11:26:49

File A: C:\Users\mark_000\Downloads\keys jangling band resolution limited 3216 2496.wav
File B: C:\Users\mark_000\Downloads\keys jangling full band 2496.wav

11:26:49 : Test started.
11:27:29 : 00/01 100.0%
11:28:58 : 00/02 100.0%
11:29:46 : 00/03 100.0%
11:29:59 : 01/04 93.8%
11:30:06 : 01/05 96.9%
11:30:16 : 02/06 89.1%
11:30:26 : 03/07 77.3%
11:30:34 : 04/08 63.7%
11:30:45 : 05/09 50.0%
11:31:00 : 06/10 37.7%
11:31:10 : 07/11 27.4%
11:31:29 : 08/12 19.4%
11:31:41 : 09/13 13.3%
11:32:05 : 10/14 9.0%
11:32:20 : 10/15 15.1%
11:32:30 : 11/16 10.5%
11:32:41 : 12/17 7.2%
11:32:52 : 13/18 4.8%
11:33:07 : 13/19 8.4%
11:33:16 : 14/20 5.8%
11:33:28 : 15/21 3.9%
11:33:40 : 16/22 2.6%
11:33:58 : 17/23 1.7%
11:34:12 : 18/24 1.1%
11:34:25 : Test finished.

----------
Total: 18/24 (1.1%)

ABX/blind testing is not something you throw at people and expect them to know what to do with it.  But with just a couple of hints online this  untrained member quickly managed to pass the test.  Imagine how far Meyer and Moran testers would have gotten if they a) had a control like Arny's test did and b) they were shown how to detect the same in double blind tests.

Note that Bob Stuart's AES test includes exactly the above scheme.  And we see how it creates a positive outcome. 
Amir

Reply #216
Just another friendly reminder that since the results above do not use the new Fobar2000 ABX code, they may contain hidden errors that it would expose.

What hidden errors?

Meanwhile I ran the David's test with the new ABX tool: http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php...st&p=880600

Same outcome as the older one. 

Arny, would you please try using the new ABX comparator with your own test and report whether you can still pass it?  I have a feeling that the new comparator has taken a big step backward and want to confirm my theory with you trying it as the master of all things ABX.
Amir

Reply #217
Arny, would you please try using the new ABX comparator with your own test and report whether you can still pass it?  I have a feeling that the new comparator has taken a big step backward and want to confirm my theory with you trying it as the master of all things ABX.

Asked and answered many times on this forum and to you specifically Amir on other forums. Please stop being mean by making a point out of my age-induced hearing problems, which I've made no secret of on many occasions.

Reply #218
ABX/blind testing is not something you throw at people and expect them to know what to do with it.  But with just a couple of hints online this  untrained member quickly managed to pass the test.  Imagine how far Meyer and Moran testers would have gotten if they a) had a control like Arny's test did and b) they were shown how to detect the same in double blind tests.

Note that Bob Stuart's AES test includes exactly the above scheme.  And we see how it creates a positive outcome.

My apologies for not having read this entire thread, but if you're going to try and ABX high frequency content, I'm curious how you control for nonlinear distortion ?  Is there an appropriate control sample being used in those tests to ensure that the system is linear enough for that ABX test to work? 

It seems to me that if a lot of people are listening to loud ultrasound and hearing something obvious then a control may be needed.

Reply #219

What I see in the new Meridian tests is how to cook the books - use extreme program material and use suboptimal dither.

Whether the extreme program material was the result of gain riding or artificial dynamics expansion is not known at this time.

One can get away with suboptimal dither with typical program material, but extreme tests require extreme care.

Reply #220

Asked and answered many times on this forum and to you specifically Amir on other forums. Please stop being mean by making a point out of my age-induced hearing problems, which I've made no secret of on many occasions.

I don't follow Arny.  You post your results in the AVS Forum already.  I am simply asking if you can duplicate them with the latest ABX comparator since you are asking me the same.  Would you like me to dig up your results?
Amir

Reply #221
My apologies for not having read this entire thread, but if you're going to try and ABX high frequency content, I'm curious how you control for nonlinear distortion ?  Is there an appropriate control sample being used in those tests to ensure that the system is linear enough for that ABX test to work?

Arny added ultrasonic tones to his tests to see if it causes problems by itself.  It did not on my system and others.  See my copy of response from AVS Forum here: http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php...st&p=880492

The Stuart AES listening test paper says this about their setup:

The playback system had a wide
frequency response (up to 40 kHz determined by the
tweeter), had very low di erential group delay, and
showed a compact impulse response with insigni -
cant ringing.

So they are relying on in situ measurements to make sure the system has clean ultrasonic response.
Amir

Reply #222
So they are relying on in situ measurements to make sure the system has clean ultrasonic response.
That's a good thing to do. Unfortunately that's hard to do when using headphones or in ear monitors, leaving us in the dark about their (in situ) performance. Did they also measure the noise floor (spectrum) of the room ?

Reply #223
Random thoughts.

You seem to be to approaching this "issue" from the wrong direction as audiophiles tend to do and shift the burden of proof away from yourself and it is hard to take someone like that seriously as they come across as irrational.

I too have magical golden ears by the way and I can often ABX lossy from lossless but I still do not claim any significant difference between HRA and CD despite passing *one* test so far.

I do not think that we all hear the same but if 500 people cannot tell the difference then it cannot possibly be significant and I cease to care.

So I agree that there is no way that the difference is anywhere near what people claim to hear as anyone rational would.

I think I would be all for 24/96 if it was not marketed as significantly better and $20 an album.

Otherwise I like like my degraded bits and old fashioned thinking just fine.
FLAC -> JDS Labs ODAC/O2 -> Sennheiser HD 650 (equalized)

Reply #224

Arny added ultrasonic tones to his tests to see if it causes problems by itself.  It did not on my system and others.  See my copy of response from AVS Forum here: http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php...st&p=880492

The Stuart AES listening test paper says this about their setup:

The playback system had a wide
frequency response (up to 40 kHz determined by the
tweeter), had very low di erential group delay, and
showed a compact impulse response with insigni -
cant ringing.

..and appear to be dancing around a major issue if not the major issue: nonlinear distortion.