Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Anti-science in audio journalism (Read 20292 times) previous topic - next topic

Anti-science in audio journalism

From What HiFi (which bills itself as 'the world's most trusted tech reviews')

The great cable debate – crossed wires?

money quote:

Now I’m not going to waste your time talking technical. You can put whatever research you want in front of me, all the measurements in the world aren’t going to stop me from having the opinion that all digital cables do not sound the same. There, I said it.

I don’t know why they sound different – speak to a few of the big cable manufacturers and heck, they’ll tell you that even they don’t know. They have theories, but that’s all. Does this lack of scientific proof mean that there aren’t differences? I don’t think so, but it’s this lack of knowledge that makes life difficult for us and the industry as a whole.

Reply #1
Science doesn't sell copies or advertising space.

Reply #2
it’s this lack of knowledge that makes life difficult for us and the industry as a whole.

Indeed.

Reply #3
it’s this lack of knowledge that makes life difficult for us and the industry as a whole.

Indeed.

I'd say *their* lack of knowledge -- and their reluctance to absorb/promote the knowledge that does exist, telling customers that 'we just don't know' -- makes it *easier* for the industry to sell high-profit flooby.

Reply #4
The fact we can’t scientifically prove beyond a shadow of a doubt why we can hear and see differences is seen as an “in” to start throwing accusations around.
Err no, the fact you can't prove to any reasonable degree that you can even hear any difference is the "in"!

Still, newspapers are written to sell newspapers. Hi-Fi magazines are written to sell Hi-Fi magazines and Hi-Fi itself. "Truth" is incidental to both enterprises, beyond that which is required by law to avoid litigation, or that which helps the aforementioned aims.

It's not a conspiracy. It's just capitalism/business - and I'm not saying that's a bad thing - just understand it is what it is. I'm fairly sure most magazines in most areas go beyond the limits of reality with their orgasmic descriptions of cars or food or whatever. You don't have to believe it. If you do, it might even make you happier (albeit deluded).

Disclaimer: I still use my mini system, auditioned in a real hi-fi shop based on a What Hi-Fi review in 1993.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #5
Them expecting their erm, "followers" to take such flawed and shoddy arguments "I know it cannot be proved but hell, I do believe in it and so should you!" as a gospel of sorts, speaks books to me as to the point these sad people called audiophiles have come to: "Don't bother proving anything! Just say what I want to hear, how much it is and I'm more than willing to spend an oscene amount of money on it."
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #6
You can put whatever research you want in front of me, all the measurements in the world aren’t going to stop me from having the opinion that all digital cables do not sound the same. There, I said it.

I don’t know why they sound different – speak to a few of the big cable manufacturers and heck, they’ll tell you that even they don’t know.

Maybe you're speaking to the wrong people. Maybe try a social psychologist?

Reply #7
It strikes me that the way the audiophile industry works is similar to how the Catholic Church operated in the middle ages, selling indulgences as some kind of promise that you'd have a better time in the afterlife. Both business models rely on the consumer being willing to delegate their belief system to a higher authority. (Come to think of it, we have a contemporary equivalent in Scientology).

Reply #8
And in every politician.

Reply #9
Both business models rely on the consumer being willing to delegate their belief system to a higher authority. (Come to think of it, we have a contemporary equivalent in Scientology).

I said it before and will say it again: IMO, these are sad, desperate people [cough!] middle-aged men with serious self steem issues, mostly [cough!] who think of themselves as superior to us the heathen, who'd rather trust good olde scientifical evidence instead of some unexplainable voodoo or hocus pocus concocted by (mostly) opportunistic charlatans.
União e reconstrução

Reply #10
I said it before and will say it again: IMO, these are sad, desperate people [cough!] middle-aged men with serious self esteem issues, mostly [cough!] who think of themselves as superior to us the heathen, who'd rather trust good olde scientifical evidence instead of some unexplainable voodoo or hocus pocus concocted by (mostly) opportunistic charlatans.

Agreed 100%.

The mind has a way of conspiring against us, and unfortunately there are some folks in the audio business who have mastered how to take full advantage of that. Hey, if you're going to pay a grand for a Toslink, then surely you're going to hear the difference, right?

Um, yeah.

A fool and his money, I suppose.

Reply #11
Both business models rely on the consumer being willing to delegate their belief system to a higher authority. (Come to think of it, we have a contemporary equivalent in Scientology).

You don't need to limit it to Scientology. Every religion that has ever existed (or ever will) relies on the subject to accept their "teachings" on faith.

Reply #12
But, to be perfectly fair, if it makes them happy, more power to them. A good old-fashioned placebo never really hurt anyone, right?

The downside comes when trying to have a reasonable conversation with them. But, there's always the smile and nod approach.

Reply #13

You don't need to limit it to Scientology. Every religion that has ever existed (or ever will) relies on the subject to accept their "teachings" on faith.

Yes, but they don't all encourage you to spend vast amounts of money on dubious artefacts the way that Scientology does (eg. e-meters). All religions leave people spiritually raped, but Scientology screws them financially as well - just like the audiophile industry.

Reply #14
Maybe try a social psychologist?

People will, literally and figuratively, buy (into) anything they believe/know will gain membership in or confer some type of superior status within their desired social groupings.

But as a social psychologist, I'm more interested in a thread like this one. It's often not what another believes that motivates someone to post, but the fact that someone has different beliefs or an opinion (at least seemingly) opposite to the poster.

Reply #15
Maybe try a social psychologist?

People will, literally and figuratively, buy (into) anything they believe/know will gain membership in or confer some type of superior status within their desired social groupings.

But as a social psychologist, I'm more interested in a thread like this one. It's often not what another believes that motivates someone to post, but the fact that someone has different beliefs or an opinion (at least seemingly) opposite to the poster.

Just a regular psychologist then.

Reply #16
Wow, this thread has gone on quite a while without a theist coming in and objecting. I think along the same lines as you but I hope this doesn't turn into a flame war. I don't really understand why cable myths exist though. Sure, it's harder to ABX compared to FLAC vs MP3, but with a good enough testing scheme you could eventually ABX cables. It being inconvenient to do so doesn't mean it's not possible and not doing the test means making an article and claiming things as facts without proper testing. People that go on and on about these audio stuff based on faith, paying tons for cables, they give audio-lovers a bad name.

Reply #17
Wow, this thread has gone on quite a while without a theist coming in and objecting. I think along the same lines as you but I hope this doesn't turn into a flame war. I don't really understand why cable myths exist though. Sure, it's harder to ABX compared to FLAC vs MP3, but with a good enough testing scheme you could eventually ABX cables. It being inconvenient to do so doesn't mean it's not possible and not doing the test means making an article and claiming things as facts without proper testing. People that go on and on about these audio stuff based on faith, paying tons for cables, they give audio-lovers a bad name.

I had a buddy of mine put together a 5 figure system that once said to me, "why would I only put $100 cables on a system I paid 5 figures for?" Hence everything that's wrong in the audiophile world. Forget physics and simple electrical truths, it simply doesn't make sense in some folks minds to go cheap on interconnects when they spent so much on components.

I'm all about bang for the buck, and found my terminated and jacketed 14AWG cables (9 ft each) on sale for $20 for the pair. That makes me a happy camper. Not to mention the company I bought them from in describing the cables pokes fun at all the magical and mystical things some companies will try to sell you on concerning their cables.

Yes, I've had issues with $.99 RCA cables and wouldn't recommend them. But, that doesn't mean you have to pay $500 for a "decent" set.

And digital cables? Either the 0's and 1's reach point B from point A, or they don't.

Reply #18
Wow, this thread has gone on quite a while without a theist coming in and objecting. I think along the same lines as you but I hope this doesn't turn into a flame war.

It won't, because the vast majority either don't care what you think or they think you're misguided. This certainly isn't the first time someone got their panties in a bunch over an audio press article or opinion. One would have to think it's somewhat futile when every issue of every audio publication has multiple articles displaying the exact same viewpoint. If it's a "crisis" then it's one that has been ongoing for quite some time and one against which the naysayers have made absolutely no impact.

I don't really understand why cable myths exist though. Sure, it's harder to ABX compared to FLAC vs MP3, but with a good enough testing scheme you could eventually ABX cables. It being inconvenient to do so doesn't mean it's not possible and not doing the test means making an article and claiming things as facts without proper testing.

The most widely held opinion (in fact, it's pretty much universal) is that ABX testing is substantially flawed and very close to useless. So your idea is one that only really makes good sense to those who already believe ABX is the be all and end all. That debate has been held hundreds, if not thousands, of times in other forums, and I'm not attempting to debate the point at all. I'm just suggesting to you why what you think is so obvious is anything but obvious.

Reply #19
Wow, this thread has gone on quite a while without a theist coming in and objecting. I think along the same lines as you but I hope this doesn't turn into a flame war.

It won't, because the vast majority either don't care what you think or they think you're misguided. This certainly isn't the first time someone got their panties in a bunch over an audio press article or opinion. One would have to think it's somewhat futile when every issue of every audio publication has multiple articles displaying the exact same viewpoint. If it's a "crisis" then it's one that has been ongoing for quite some time and one against which the naysayers have made absolutely no impact.

I don't really understand why cable myths exist though. Sure, it's harder to ABX compared to FLAC vs MP3, but with a good enough testing scheme you could eventually ABX cables. It being inconvenient to do so doesn't mean it's not possible and not doing the test means making an article and claiming things as facts without proper testing.

The most widely held opinion (in fact, it's pretty much universal) is that ABX testing is substantially flawed and very close to useless. So your idea is one that only really makes good sense to those who already believe ABX is the be all and end all. That debate has been held hundreds, if not thousands, of times in other forums, and I'm not attempting to debate the point at all. I'm just suggesting to you why what you think is so obvious is anything but obvious.

Then I've read your suggestion and I am dismissing it.

Reply #20
Poor bloke. Ten years into a career.

He has to write rubbish like that to pay the rent.

Desperate business indeed.

Reply #21
Meaning that, among his equally-sad peers, he's probably considered worth of winning a Pulitzer for such "great and insightful" writing.
União e reconstrução

Reply #22

Stop changing the subject. You getting offended?

Reply #23

Stop changing the subject. You getting offended?

...What?

Reply #24
(snip post that verges on trolling in the context of HA)

Generally, in almost any aspect of the modern world where it matters and where people care, the need for double-blind testing is taken as a given. People sometimes make mistakes and fail to sufficiently blind certain experiments, but when this happens and their results are shown to be incorrect because of it, they feel stupid. Across the spectrum of medicine, biology, chemistry, physics, pathology, dactyloscopy, and a hundred other disciplines I've never heard of, no one can claim that sighted testing is superior because the opposite has been proven time and again. The inability to properly double blind certain experiments is recognised to impede progress in certain areas.

Meanwhile everyone in a boutique niche inhabited by a certain class of audiophile claims sighted testing is superior, and because they all do, they must be the ones who are right?

Cheers,
David.