Skip to main content
Topic: Are there any lossless ACMs out there? (Read 4166 times) previous topic - next topic
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Are there any lossless ACMs out there?

The subject says it all. I'm using Huffyuv for video-capture, and it would be nice to couple that with a realtime lossless audio codec (as an ACM of course, for use in vdub), supposing one exists, and that it is fast enough that the chance of dropped frames does not increase [much].

Any pointers?

Are there any lossless ACMs out there?

Reply #1
Quote
Originally posted by eloj
The subject says it all. I'm using Huffyuv for video-capture, and it would be nice to couple that with a realtime lossless audio codec (as an ACM of course, for use in vdub), supposing one exists, and that it is fast enough that the chance of dropped frames does not increase [much].

Any pointers?


I use Huffyuv a lot too (As well as AVIzlib), and wanted a lot to use lossless ACM compression.

But I did exaustive searches through the net, and never found anything related. I would guess there isn't anything like that out there.

Who knows? Now that the sources for Monkey's Audio are available, someone could create this codec. It would be great!

Regards;

Roberto.

Are there any lossless ACMs out there?

Reply #2
Might be quite hard with the kind of 'licensing' Monkey Audio has. I think a FLAC acm codec would be very good and feasible idea though.

Are there any lossless ACMs out there?

Reply #3
Quote
Originally posted by tangent
Might be quite hard with the kind of 'licensing' Monkey Audio has. I think a FLAC acm codec would be very good and feasible idea though.


Someone was working on one a while ago.  Try searching or posting to the flac-dev list.

Josh

Are there any lossless ACMs out there?

Reply #4
Hmm, I wonder where you guys get the uncompressed movies from?
-=MusePack... Living Audio Compression=-

Honda - The Power of Dreams

Are there any lossless ACMs out there?

Reply #5
Quote
Originally posted by AgentMil
Hmm, I wonder where you guys get the uncompressed movies from?


I, at least, am not getting uncompressed movies from anywhere.

What I want is to capture video compressing the audio losslessly (The same way Huffyuv and AVIzlib compress the video part losslessly)

A Monkey's Audio codec would be really welcome, since it's so fast - I.E: less dropped frames during capture.

Regards;

Roberto.

Are there any lossless ACMs out there?

Reply #6
Quote
Originally posted by jcoalson
Someone was working on one a while ago.  Try searching or posting to the flac-dev list.
Josh

Yes, I saw that mentioned here somewhere earlier. At that time it was only a "useless" shell though, and could not actually be used for compression. Even so, it was good to hear, because before then I had google plenty, and heard and seen nothing of the sort.

It is not terribly imporant, I am sure we will hear about it when it is ready for use.

Are there any lossless ACMs out there?

Reply #7
rjamorim, is your video capture from and uncompressed source? If it was compressed wouldn't the sound be compressed as well?

I am not sure on this, I don't do much video capturing/digital video work, so please correct me if I am wron

Cheers
AgentMil
-=MusePack... Living Audio Compression=-

Honda - The Power of Dreams

Are there any lossless ACMs out there?

Reply #8
Quote
Originally posted by AgentMil
rjamorim, is your video capture from and uncompressed source? If it was compressed wouldn't the sound be compressed as well?

I am not sure on this, I don't do much video capturing/digital video work, so please correct me if I am wron

Cheers
AgentMil


I capture from VHS and Hi8 tapes. The video signal is feed through my Pinnacle DC10 card.

After I capture and edit (that's the part I use lossless compression: for editing purposes), I finally compress it with Panasonic MPEG1 (if I want to do VCDs) or Sorenson Video (If it's just for archival).

Regards;

Roberto.

Are there any lossless ACMs out there?

Reply #9
Hmm, thanks rjamorim! Isn't Sorenson video part of Apple Quicktime? Whats the quality like on that codec? Is there a reason to use that instead of MPEG-2?

Sorry about the questions, I hope you don't mind

Cheers
AgentMil
-=MusePack... Living Audio Compression=-

Honda - The Power of Dreams

Are there any lossless ACMs out there?

Reply #10
Quote
Originally posted by AgentMil
Hmm, thanks rjamorim! Isn't Sorenson video part of Apple Quicktime? Whats the quality like on that codec? Is there a reason to use that instead of MPEG-2?


Yes, it is.
I like it because it provides me quite better quality than MPEG1 at the same bitrates. MPEG2 can't do that because, AFAIK, it's been tuned for extreme quality @ high bitrates (That's why it's used on DVD and HDTV).

If it wasn't for the Sorenson compatibility issues - No codec so far for Linux, quite unlikely for Hardware players (The damn thing sucks lots of CPU clocks to decode) - it would be my winner.

Quote
Sorry about the questions, I hope you don't mind


Heh. NP.

Regards;

Roberto.

Are there any lossless ACMs out there?

Reply #11
<rant>

I'd have to say that Sorenson is only really good for average-good quality compression for multiplatform (well, PC/Mac). I really don't understand why people like it so much. It takes so long to encode! DivX has been quoted to encode 21x faster than Sorenson...

I'm not going to go on about DivX but it's well worth using instead of Sorenson. But, the best place to discuss this really is doom9.

</rant>

Anyway, back on topic - depite Vorbis ACM and Lame ACM's  (supporting vbr) existing the ACM architecture is not very elegant with supporting VBR codec's. Thats not saying its impossible however.
rc55.com - nothing going on

Are there any lossless ACMs out there?

Reply #12
I know this thread is a few months old, but I was looking for exactly the same solution and I stumbled across a product that is a lossess audio compressor and has a commercial ACM avaliable http://www.clearjump.com/products/LiteWave.html

(sill looking for a non-commercial solution...)

Are there any lossless ACMs out there?

Reply #13
Quote
I know this thread is a few months old, but I was looking for exactly the same solution and I stumbled across a product that is a lossess audio compressor and has a commercial ACM avaliable http://www.clearjump.com/products/LiteWave.html

(sill looking for a non-commercial solution...)

That is pretty interesting.

Speed is about the same as Monkey's 3.97 normal mode but nowhere nearly as good compression. Also this codec has a quality switch. ACM might be interesting to try but dunno the cost.
"Something bothering you, Mister Spock?"

 
SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2019