See attachment. Top half is 2.1.7's CUETools.Codecs.libFLAC.dll of 2018-03-12. Not even flac -0 is close to this bad.
Bottom half: the CUETools output recompressed using a more conventional 1.3.2.
Doesn't look right. Weird. Thanks, i'll see if i can reproduce it.
I can confirm. Also in 2.17,, when I compress album with libFLAC at -8, I get 285 MB. Cuetools FLAC compressor gives me 195 MB. Difference shouldn't be so big.
Compressed with flac 1.3.2, I get 196 MB.
I'm not reproducing the problem so far (but I only ran a few tests).
libflac -8 212MB
cuetools -8 212MB
flac.exe 1.3.2 -8 212MB (CLI)
ibflac -8 414MB
cuetools -8 413MB
flac.exe 1.3.2 -8 413MB (CLI)
If instructions sets matter: SSE 4.1 and 4.2 and AVX2 (an aged Intel i3) on 64-bit Windows 7.
I have problem at work - big differences in compression ratio. There I have windows 8.1 64bit, and i7-4790. At home, no problems, Windows 10 64 bit, i7-2600. Same portable installation, shared through Mega cloud.
Got the chance to test another computer and reproduce it.
i5-6200U running Windows 10.
Same results as above.
But it is fast!
I guess it's AVX2 or AVX512 support that's awfully fast, but awful compression ratio, too.
replace libFLAC_dynamic.dll with version from e.g. Rarewares and test again?
Also, please upload a short sample somewhere.
4 second FLAC attached. If that is too little, I can upload more.
Other FLAC 1.3.2 at -8: 560. Including, the DLL found at 2018-11-16 from http://www.rarewares.org/lossless.php#flac-dll-x64 under the headline "libFLAC v.1.3.2 incorporating GIT updates to 2018-11-16 for win64".
Replacing the DLL makes it work just fine, thanks for that quick fix.
(For the love of CUETools, I picked one where it managed to fix twenty-thousand rip-errors in these <4 seconds. CUETools repaired this for me. (https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,113978.0.html))
Edit: got the attachment right.
flac -a "Matthäuspassion cuetools-libFLAC_dynamic-x64 ¤¤ 01 ¤¤¤ 50a. Recitative -Evangelist; Sie schrieen aber noch mehr.flac"
shows that this file has too many VERBATIM frames, but honestly, I have no idea why.
26 VERBATIM out of 2x42 FLAC subframes. Ordinary FLAC has none.
Not that I know the FLAC format, but if a VERBATIM subframe makes for uncompressed size 1411, the remaining 84-26 subframes wouldn't be far from the 560 that should have been the average.
I tried the same for another low-bitrate file (Epica: Supremacy) and could find that no VERBATIM for ordinary FLAC turned into 1 in 8.
Then on the other end of the bitrate scale: Merzbow: Ananga-Ranga, which clocks in at 1329 kb/s with ordinary FLAC, and 1412 with CUETools. (Yes, it is CDDA.) 37520 FLAC subframes (yes, half an hour). type=VERBATIM count:
5102 for ordinary FLAC. 37439 for CUETools FLAC
Even worse bitrate, same album, I Lead You Towards Glorious Times, which with ordinary FLAC reaches 1395 and CUETools needs 1412. 7102 subframes.
Ordinary FLAC: 7098 FIXED, 4 VERBATIM
CUETools FLAC: 2 FIXED, 7094 VERBATIM, 6 LPC