Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: No Love for WMA Lossless? (Read 45942 times) previous topic - next topic

No Love for WMA Lossless?

Reply #75
Since right now, the direction with the larger distributors seems to be wma lossless

there is not really any "direction with the large distributors" right now, for lossless there is musicgiants selling in wmal and pretty much everyone else (many smaller outlets) selling flac.  wmal is a dead end and less likely to be supported than PlaysForOopsNevermind, wmal+drm even less so.

Reply #76
Since right now, the direction with the larger distributors seems to be wma lossless

there is not really any "direction with the large distributors" right now, for lossless there is musicgiants selling in wmal and pretty much everyone else (many smaller outlets) selling flac.  wmal is a dead end and less likely to be supported than PlaysForOopsNevermind, wmal+drm even less so.

Except in terms of relative sales and marketing skills, Musicgiants is like Coca Cola, and all the flac sellers combined are virtually unknown to the music buying public, and without any significant marketing efforts. In prognosticating the next 10 years, I doubt it will be about what open source format is best--it will be about the bigger distributors choosing what THEY think the largest number of computer users will be able to play easily....My prediction is that this will be wma files :-)

Personally, I don't care which format wins ( as long as it is NOT DRM wrapped) ...but I do care about planning my hardware and music purchases for the future. As AV recievers [harware manufacturers]are already sporting media server abilities ( like the Pioneer elite series, among others) which utilize the windows media player standards, and play the wma files, it is looking more like Microsoft has embedded itself into your culture for quite a bit longer :-)

Reply #77
Except in terms of relative sales and marketing skills, Musicgiants is like Coca Cola, and all the flac sellers combined are virtually unknown to the music buying public, and without any significant marketing efforts.

huh?  more like 'itunes is coca cola'.  I'd like to see some musicgiants sales numbers.  just because it's got 'giants' in the name doesn't mean anything.  you are probably not aware of all the places selling flac.  I think it's much more likely the flac market is larger than the wmal market.

Personally, I don't care which format wins ( as long as it is NOT DRM wrapped) ...but I do care about planning my hardware and music purchases for the future. As AV recievers [harware manufacturers]are already sporting media server abilities ( like the Pioneer elite series, among others) which utilize the windows media player standards, and play the wma files, it is looking more like Microsoft has embedded itself into your culture for quite a bit longer :-)

wma != wmal.  except pc software that can use MS DLLs, almost nothing else plays wmal.  those pioneer/denon/marantz/etc av media servers support flac not wmal.

Reply #78
Why would any user wish to be tied to a particular family of operating systems using a closed source audio codec - just to be able to access their bought and paid for music?

How many portable devices support WMAL?

How does WMAL differentiate itself from other, more widely used, lossless codecs?
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 -s h -A --feedback 2 --limit 15848 --scale 0.5 | FLAC -5 -e -p -b 512 -P=4096 -S- (having set foobar to output 24-bit PCM; scaling by 0.5 gives the ANS headroom to work)

Reply #79
Just to reiterate...there is no way for the lossless windows media files to be converted to a compatible format and imported into iTunes that can be played via iPOD? Right?

I highly highly recommend dbPowerAMP Reference. While it isn't free it is cheap ($36). It can transcode every which way 'til Tuesday and is very efficient with a multi-core processor.

Reply #80
Why use a proprietary codec when there's royalities-free & open source better alternatives ?

Even Mozilla has awarded a grant of $100,000 to the Wikimedia Foundation to support open codecs:

Open standards for audio and video are important because they can be used by anyone for any purpose without royalties, and can be inspected and improved by an open community.

Erik Möller,
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Reply #81
Musicgiants is like Coca Cola

Now it's really funny.
1. Nobody know about Musicgiants
2. Musicgiants is available only for U.S zone (just cheked)
3. Nobody cares about WMA and even less WMAL.

Reply #82
Wow, he's found his way here too, has he?

Why would any user wish to be tied to a particular family of operating systems using a closed source audio codec - just to be able to access their bought and paid for music?

Dunno. Seems like lunacy to me

Statistically, most people that began on PCs will stay on PCs, most that started on macs will stay on them, and the tiny little piece of the population that are programmers using linux or unix or whatever, will never be marketed to by the big Music distributors.

And open formats (such as FLAC) are ideal for PC users, Mac users and Linux/UNIX users alike, and for a variety of reasons.

Reply #83
Off-topic discussion about subjective sound quality claims has been moved here:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....c=69556&hl=