Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MediaMonkey’s multi-value tag fields not displayed correctly elsewhere (Read 12727 times) previous topic - next topic

MediaMonkey’s multi-value tag fields not displayed correctly elsewhere

I realize the thread is old but just came across it now. I'm having a related issue. I like to use MediaMonkey for tagging and organizing etc and use semicolon separated genres "folk; rock; electronic". I've started using J River Media Center sometimes and I've set it up to read multiple genres separated by semicolons like MediaMonkey. Here's the problem: it works perfectly for MP3's but not for FLAC. When I examine the tags for the FLAC files tagged by MediaMonkey in something like MP3tag, it ends up looking like this "folk\\rock\\electronic" which other players do not like. If I retag them in MP3tag or J River Media Center they behave as expected. I'd like to continue to use MediaMonkey for tagging since it's all set up with special tools etc but I've got to get it to properly tag semicolons with semicolons for FLAC files.

Can anyone suggest a solution? Is it a ID3v2 setting thing?

Many thanks,
dbdog

Reply #1
I would suggest you to try MusicBee, it has an unified tagging/display of all supported formats.

Reply #2
I would suggest you to try MusicBee, it has an unified tagging/display of all supported formats.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm trying MusicBee now and it look interesting but so far it doesn't solve my problem. When I tag my genres in MusicBee as "Rock; Electronic" it writes it as "Rock\\Electronic" just like MediaMonkey. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Reply #3

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm trying MusicBee now and it look interesting but so far it doesn't solve my problem. When I tag my genres in MusicBee as "Rock; Electronic" it writes it as "Rock\\Electronic" just like MediaMonkey. Is there a setting I'm missing?

I've come up with a workaround - it turns out that MediaMonkey was storing the genres in duplicate fields giving my files multiple separate genre tags (for the FLAC only, for MP3's it stores them "properly" as semicolon delimited in one field). The 'solution" was to use a custom action in MP3tag to combine the multiple genre fields into one with a semicolon as a separator. Kinda clunky but it's the path of least resistance right now.