Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Greatest Guitar Players Of All Times (Read 48268 times) previous topic - next topic

Greatest Guitar Players Of All Times

Reply #25
I think it's kind of pointless to list again all those great guitarists that have allready been mentioned, so I'll just add a few that I missed.

- Jan Akkerman (Focus)
- George Benson (great jazzy tunes)

I also like
- John Amor (blues rock)

--
Ge Someone
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #26
Allan Holdsworth, Frank Gambale, Greg Howe, Steve Morse and Eric Johnson ...

and most of the others already mentioned....

Reply #27
"...'cause now I'm living on the blues power..."

BB King
Eric Clapton
Robert Johson
Albert King
Johnny Winter

But I definitely love Mark Knopfler's touch
Killakid

Reply #28
Alexi Laiho (Children Of Bodom)
Morten Veland (ex-Tristania)
Joe Satriani (d'uh!)

My choices may sound rather whimiscal at first but it all comes down to my personal preferences. I have absolutely no respect for twiddly-twaddly style of playing. Twiddly-twaddly is a poor translation from finnish word 'tilulilu' meaning worn-out, predictable, amelodic and totally unnecessary technical high-pitched guitar solo-style of playing (usually following pentatonic scales) prominent in 80's rock and heavy metal. Yngwie Malmsteen is the lead evangelist of this religion. It may require skill, but it sounds incrediably bland and stupid to my ears.

I respect general skill in musicianship. The ability to create well-defined, well-structured striking songs which raise actual emotions and sensations of beauty is what I like.

Alexi Laiho can be considered somewhat of a miracle. He manages to combine extreme technicality to beautiful and unpredictable melodies. He uses scales mankind has last heard in the middle ages. He writes terrific songs that really raise your pulse. 'Lake Bodom' from the album 'Something Wild' is a known practice song for intermediate/expert guitarists all over ... well, Finland . Althought you need to obtain 'Something Wild' and 'Hatebreeder' to see what true skill is all about, 'Follow The Reaper' is mainly pop music targeted for the US market.

Morten Veland is a curious choice. His riffs are extremely simplistic and he has never played anything I wouldn't be able to play after 30 seconds of listening. But his songs, god damnit! Such beauty is not meant for mankind. They're divine to the very core. And I have never heard such use of clean-sound electric guitar. His beautiful, yet simple acoustic riffs almost make me want to cry (not to mention his combined piano/distorted guitar riffs), althought I learned to play them after 30 seconds of listening . And he's the best metal singer (or groaner if you please) in the world.

Joe Satriani, well, he's just plain good .

Reply #29
Nobody listed Michael Shenker, I can't believe it.  He's definitely one of the greats... get UFO's "Strangers In The Night" and listen to the solos in "Rock Bottom" and "Lights Out."

Reply #30
Jimi Hendrix for sure.
Also, Tony Iommi & Geezer Butler (old Black Sabbath)

...oh yes, Geezer Butler, i forgott.

was butler the guy who played the strange solo on Mr. Crowley?

Dezibel

Reply #31
Roy Buchanan's name has not come up enough.  Walter Trout's name should also have come up more.  Check out Roy Buchanan's "John's Blues" & "Roy's Blues", and Walter Trout's "Dust My Broom" or "Marie's Mood".

How about Bill Nelson from Bebop Deluxe?  I remember tracks called "Sister Seagull" & "Adventures in a Yorkshire Landscape" as being particularly good.

Here's an idea.  Instead of listing who you consider to be the best guitar player, list one or two tracks so those who don't know the names can listen to their best tracks.  I have certainly learnt some new names here.

Reply #32
Here's an idea.  Instead of listing who you consider to be the best guitar player, list one or two tracks so those who don't know the names can listen to their best tracks.  I have certainly learnt some new names here.

That's actually a great idea. I don't see the topic 'greatest guitar player of all times' justified since even the very best players have recorded a lot of crap. And on the other hands, guitarists not deserving to be on this list on have recorded incrediable songs with some pretty amazing guitarwork.

A fairer topic would be 'top 5 songs which contain great guitarwork'

Reply #33
@Dezibel

was butler the guy who played the strange solo on Mr. Crowley?

No, it was Randy Rhoades R.I.P (Ozzy Osbourne Band)

Geezer Butler is a Bass Player

Reply #34
It seems like everyone is listing the same sorts of guitar heroes as the greatest players. What about the innovators who radically changed the genre?

Describing Jimi Hendrix can be accomplished with one short phrase: "He was the single greatest rock guitarist to ever walk this earth."
Indeed, few others revolutionized music as Hendrix did. He came into public eye in the late 1960s, just as electronic rock and roll was coming into its own. Times were changing, and new artists were creating and redefining music for an entire generation.

In this, he lead the way. He transformed the guitar from a voice in a chorus, to the star of the show. At that time, and especially in his debute album 'Are You Experienced', Hendrix played notes and sounds no-one had ever heard before. It rates not only as a musical milestone, but as a major event in the cultural history of the 20th century.

Originally from Seattle, Hendrix first began grabbing attention in the New York club scene, and then moved to England in 1966 under the wing of manager and Animals alumnus Chas Chandler. It was in London that he found his fortune. Partnered with Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell, he formed The Jimi Hendrix Experience, and rock and roll has never been quite the same since.

After 1967's 'Are You Experienced', he released 'Axis: Bold As Love' and 'Electric Ladyland' (both in 1968) to take his place among the most popular artists of the time. His unforgettable performances at the Monterrey Pop Festival in 67 and Woodstock in 69 became the stuff of legends.

Tragically, Hendrix died on September 18, 1970 from what the coroner listed as "inhalation of vomit due to barbituate intoxication." It seems now to be a cruel twist of fate. Hendrix was by no means a saint, but neither was he among the most rampant drug users among his peers.

Two albums, that although released after his death, stand as part of his legitimate discography are 1970's 'Band of Gypsys' and 1971's 'Cry of Love'. The former was recorded on New Year's Eve in 1969 and features his post-Experience line-up with Buddy Miles on drums and Billy Cox on bass. The latter was a work in progress finished by producer Eddie Kramer and Mitch Mitchell. His other unfinished project at the time of his death was to be titled 'The Land of the New Rising Sun', and unfortunately surfaced as 1995's pathetic exploitation 'Voodoo Soup'.

Nuff Said

BTW To learn to play like Jimmi,  You must take a right handed guitar, turn it upside down and play it backwards, then play behind your back and also with your teeth.
What if the Hokey Pokey....is What it's all about?

Reply #35
And last of all, why haven't more people mentioned David Gilmour? The Pink Floyd guitarist has covered nearly all of the styles mentioned and has done so with a sense of style and class that is almost unheard of. Very few shred and prog guitarists actually speak with their guitars, much less on the level that Gilmour did.

This is also particularly surprising since there seem to be so many Floyd fans around here!!

Reply #36
Nobody has mentioned Chet Atkins yet, so I will.

Many years ago I bought two records of Chet Atkins / Les Paul duets.  One LP was called "Chester & Lester", the other was "Guitar Monsters".  The songs include various standards such as "Moonglow", "It Had to be You", and "Over the Rainbow".  What I really enjoy about these recordings is the sense that you are right there in the studio with these two guitar greats, hearing the interplay between them ... it's a fascinating listen.

I still have the LPs, but haven't played them in a long time.  I recently found a compilation CD (by BMG) of these same two LPs, so I have been listening to the CD instead.  Give it a try, if you enjoy guitar, you won't be disappointed.

Reply #37
Nobody has mentioned Chet Atkins yet, so I will.

I haven't listened to a lot of Chet Atkins, but I do have the duet CD he did with Mark Knopfler (another name mentioned here) called "Neck and Neck" and really like it. I'll try to get a hold of that Les Paul stuff.

BTW, I remember you from way back in the MP3.COM days with coobird and everybody, right!? Well, glad to see you're still around and going well.

Another guitar great I haven't seen listed yet is Leo Kottke.

Reply #38
Sabre:

The Pink Floyd guitarist has covered nearly all of the styles mentioned and has done so with a sense of style and class that is almost unheard of.

Jep. Listen to Dark Side Of The Moon, then Delicate Sound Of Thunder (Live) and then The Division Bell. Wow.

[BTW: In a different thread I said I didn't own any Pink Floyd studio albums yet. I guess as a 16-year-old I don't have to excuse myself for not having gotten hold of these albums any earlier - look at what my mates listen to...]

flat_top:

Chet Atkins also recorded an album with Mark Knopfler (called "Neck To Neck" or something like that and released in 1990), you might want to try that. Next time I go to the library I'll take a look at it, just out of curiosity.

CU

Dominic

Edit: bryant was faster than me about the Mark Knopfler/Chet Atkins album.

Reply #39
Chet Atkins also recorded an album with Mark Knopfler (called "Neck To Neck" or something like that and released in 1990), you might want to try that. Next time I go to the library I'll take a look at it, just out of curiosity.

There’s a very funny song on that CD called “There’ll Be Some Changes Made” where Chet is lamenting having lived a quiet life and not been the wild rock and roller with all the groupies and other “benefits” that go along with it. Mark replies “Well, them groupie girls ain’t what they’re cracked up to be; not all of them anyway.”  Here's the clip.

Reply #40
IMO, The Edge (from U2) should be mentioned in this thread too.

Reply #41
I enjoy listening to Mick Ronson's guitar.. he's contributed a lot to the early
David Bowie sound.
And if Warhol's a genius, what am I? A speck of lint on the ***** of an alien

Reply #42
new additions...

bela fleck of the flecktones [yeah, it's a banjo... but so what?]

blues:
elmore james
freddy king
albert king
muddy waters

really... there are just too many good guitarists in various flavors of music...

forgetting les paul and people that pioneered some sort of technique with the guitar and just pick one person that could rock ANYONE's socks off...

who would that be?

terry kath, r.i.p.

later
mike

Reply #43
3. Rhandy Rhoads - The heart and soul of Black Sabbath next to Ozzy before he passed on.

Randy never played for Sabbath.
Tony Iommi is the one and only guitarist BS ever had, and ever will have

Um back to topic.. I don't really care, all guitarists sound the same to me.

Reply #44
Mark Knopfler, Rob Eberhard Young, Doyle Dykes, Billy McLaughlin, Paulo Bellinati, Richie Blackmoore, Jimi Hendrix, Chet Atkins .... not in any specific order.

Reply #45
BTW, I remember you from way back in the MP3.COM days with coobird and everybody, right!? Well, glad to see you're still around and going well.

Well hello again, bryant.  Yes, I remember you too from the old mp3.com days.  I haven't forgotton your informative, well written posts and your great sense of humor (I still remember a thread on the subject of audiophiles that had me rolling on the floor ... something about the audio enhancement properties of tiger semen ... Ha!    ).

I see that you are continuing your online presence with input here at the Hydrogen Audio forums.  I lurked at Roel's site for a long time, I rarely posted, but since the r3mix bb has floundered recently, I decided to visit here and see what's going on.

BTW, thanks for the tip on the "Neck and Neck" Chet Atkins / Mark Knopfler recording.  I have to look it up, since you and Volcano both mentioned it. 

Reply #46
I would have to say:
1. Slash
2. Jimmy Page
3. Jimi Hendrix
4. Eric Clapton
and
5. Buckethead, if you like his style, he's amazing.
Forgive that they teared down my soul. Bless them that they might grow old. A dream that's forgotten may know, that it's never too late.

Reply #47
Two on my list have already been mentioned,
Chet Atkins and Duane Allman.

But three others on my list of many, have not:

1. John Cippolina (from Quicksilver Messenger Service)
He took all the psychodelic guitar riffs in the 60's to another level.
Other guitarists back then were amazed with his style.

2. Billy McLaughlin
I know there's tons of acoustic fingerpickers out there,
from classical to rock.
But this guy is incredible.
His album "Fingerdance" is so smooth and precise.
A remarkable guitarist.

3. Andre Segovia
He is the classical guitarist's guitarist,
a modern day virtuoso.
He single handedly brought classical guitar to a new generation,
of younger artists.
He is a legend.

Reply #48
Another guitar great I haven't seen listed yet is Leo Kottke.

I agree.  I saw this guy on pbs once and was totally shocked by his skill (pretty sure it was a solo performance).  Can anyone recommend a good album to start with, by Kottke?

Reply #49
These maybe are not the best (I don't have the knowledge to decide that) but some guitarists that I know and like.

Jimi Hendrix
Marty Friedman (ex - Megadeth)
Walter Giardino (Rata Blanca , argentinian band , have you ever heard "La leyenda del hada y el mago"?)
Claudio Marciello (Almafuerte , argentinian band)
Ritchie Blackmore (ex Deep Purple)
Slash (ex GNR)
Carlos Santana
Brian May (ex Queen)
Luca Turilli (Rhapsody)

Someone listed James Hetfield as one of the best.I think James is a great composer and pretty good , fast , solid , intense with rhythm guitar but....I don't think he has the technical skills needed to be one of the best.He's not that good playing lead guitar (I've heard lots of Metallica bootlegs).