Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [Help!] Digital voice recorder in Wave 64 (Read 1799 times) previous topic - next topic

[Help!] Digital voice recorder in Wave 64

Hello all,
I bought a DVR (which I need for my university) that records in Wave 64 format (IMA ADPCM); iTunes doesn't recognize this file format, so I can't compress those files in AAC, what can I do? Should I use LAME for MP3? Other tips? I'm a little desperate, hopeless and don't know what to do.

ETA: I think this device records in this format for obvious file size matters.
My PM box is full. Send me an email instead.

Re: [Help!] Digital voice recorder in Wave 64

Reply #1
Use foobar to convert to AAC or whatever else you'd like to use. You may need to install the adpcm plugin, can't remember if it is included by default.

Reply #2
What?

iTunes doesn't recognize them so you can't compress them to AAC but you can to MP3 but you really can't with iTunes and you're asking for LAME?

foobar2000 > Add the files > Compress to whatever format you want.

Reply #3
What?

iTunes doesn't recognize them so you can't compress them to AAC but you can to MP3 but you really can't with iTunes because you're asking for LAME?

foobar2000 > Add the files > Compress to whatever format you want.

I don't know if LAME works with Wave64, it was a question;  I just started the topic with iTunes / AAC because it's the best lossy I know (as it's also written in the Wiki / Knowledge Base); OK, I'll use foobar2000
My PM box is full. Send me an email instead.

Reply #4
It doesn't matter what LAME works with because unless you're doing low level scripting or writing your own software you don't have to deal with that.  You would configure a program like foobar, dbpoweramp, etc to decode the ADPCM and then feed it into Lame, iTunes, etc for encoding.  Since the codec never sees the source format it doesn't matter what it is.

Reply #5
Basic solution:
Use a software that can decode IMA ADPCM to PCM WAV (either applications like fooobar and dbpoweramp already mentioned, other converter applications like mediacoder, or directly some useful commandline tools like ffmpeg or sox).

As for the format... ADPCM is NOT Wave64. Wave64 (although usually people actually mean RIFF64) is a container format intended mostly for files bigger than 4GB.