Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to program for foobar2000 (Read 4301 times) previous topic - next topic

How to program for foobar2000

OK

a couple of questions...

1) How hard would it be to learn a programming language well enough to make "simple" interface/general plugins for foobar2000?

2) What language would be the best to learn?

3) What is the best place to learn this language? (books etc... university classes arent really an option, as mine are all occupied with architecture)

The reason I ask is that I have some ideas for components and such that don't seem like they would be TOO difficult to do (saying this, I have no experience so I don't really know) but other people most likely wouldn't do (I assume most people are really busy at this point).

Any response is well appreciated.

Reply #1
1. Hmm, probably not too hard

2. C++ most definitely...any other language would be nearly impossible (unless maybe you wrote a C++ component to interface with it).

3. Don't know...check your university library?

Reply #2
2) C++

1) The problem is that you not only need to learn the language, but also the foobar2000 API and the Win32 API (or MFC...). I suggest to get introductory books on C++ and Windows programming (in this order). Unfortunately, there is no book on foobar2000.

I'd also stick with general components for the start, since creating a custom UI with good performance will require some knowledge/experience.

I don't want to discourage you, I merely want to point out what you'll be facing.

3) Sorry, don't know good books as I taught myself C++ from the language reference - definitely not the way to go for someone without some programming knowledge.

Reply #3
thanks so far guys,

i dont have ZERO programming knowledge really..

I used to mess around with java and i used js a lot and i know html and CSS blah blah.. i guess those dont really count in this case tho