Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC 1.1.1 with P4 optimizations (Read 4636 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC 1.1.1 with P4 optimizations

I can't seem to get FLAC 1.1.1 with the Pentium 4 optimizations to run, while the other (P3 / generic) compile works fine.  When I attempt to run the P4 version I get no output from the command line, or a basic error message from Mareo, Flacattack, and Foobar with no details.

In case you're wondering, yes, I am running a Pentium 4.  Also, I did get the "libmmd" library from Rarewares.  Does the fact that the P4 version is an ICL 8.1 compile have anything to do with my problems?  Am I missing something?

I could just use the generic compile, but I'll probably be ripping a lot of CD's, and I could use the extra speed.  Please help.  Thanks!
"The way we see our world is better than yours."

Reply #1
I am having the same problem.
"Facts do not cease to exist just because they are ignored."
—Aldous Huxley

Reply #2
Same problem happens me. 
CPU which I use is Intel's Pentium 4 2.4GHz.

Reply #3
Sorry about that!!  There was a stupid compile switch error! I've recompiled the bundle and uploaded again.

BTW, thanks for letting me know that there was a problem.

Reply #4
Works fine now. Thanks.
"Facts do not cease to exist just because they are ignored."
—Aldous Huxley

Reply #5
Thanks, John33.  Glad I could help. 
"The way we see our world is better than yours."

Reply #6
John33, I thanks for your labor. 

Reply #7
Sorry about that!!   There was a stupid compile switch error! I've recompiled the bundle and uploaded again.

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=253977"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I tried the P4 optimized one and can't really notice a difference when encoding at q5, q6 or q8 compared to the encoder at Sourceforge site (A P4-2.4 GHz HT).  Should it be much faster?

Also your latest compile doesn't decode, at least with Speek's Flac Frontend. Only a DOS Window with about 200 dashes are shown and that's it.

Reply #8
Sorry about that!!   There was a stupid compile switch error! I've recompiled the bundle and uploaded again.

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=253977"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I tried the P4 optimized one and can't really notice a difference when encoding at q5, q6 or q8 compared to the encoder at Sourceforge site (A P4-2.4 GHz HT).  Should it be much faster?

Also your latest compile doesn't decode, at least with Speek's Flac Frontend. Only a DOS Window with about 200 dashes are shown and that's it.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=255883"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi,

I have had no problems decoding using the P4 Optimized compile using Speek's Flac Frontend. Are both programs in the same folder or the programs in your PATH?
Surf's Up!
"Columnated Ruins Domino"

Reply #9

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=255883"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi,

I have had no problems decoding using the P4 Optimized compile using Speek's Flac Frontend. Are both programs in the same folder or the programs in your PATH?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=255933"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

First I had installed FLAC and FLAC Frontend using the installer of Sourceforge site. I overwrote the .exe files with the P4-optimized builds and had no luck. So I deleted the complete FLAC folder and created a new one with a different folder name, the result was the same.

Then I deleted everything and I downloaded the Flac Frontend directly from Speek's site and only installed the P4-build of John33. Strangely the result is again the same, just some dashes. All the time I had no problems Encoding.

So for now I just overwrote the P4-build with the Sourceforge build and I have no problems Encoding and Decoding.

But again, should the P4-optimized builds be much faster? Any measured results?

Regards

Reply #10
For those having a problem with the P4 compile, you may well need the 'libmmd.dll' for ICL8.1 as this is an ICL8.1 compile. It's available at Rarewares, at the foot of the 'Lossless' page.

Reply #11
For those having a problem with the P4 compile, you may well need the 'libmmd.dll' for ICL8.1 as this is an ICL8.1 compile. It's available at Rarewares, at the foot of the 'Lossless' page.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=256120"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That was the golden tip! I downloaded 'libmmd.dll' for ICL8.1 and putted it in the same directory and it worked!

I did some testing on my P4 2.4 GHz with 512 MB RAM and in Hyperthreading mode. Your compile is about 30%-40% faster so it's worth it.

Thx