Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Andre Wiethoff releases Easy Audio Copy (Read 62134 times) previous topic - next topic

Andre Wiethoff releases Easy Audio Copy

The developer of the famous and pioneering secure CD-ripping program Exact Audio Copy (EAC) has released a related program targeted at greater ease of use for a wider base of users.
Synopsis:
Easy Audio Copy is at least as reliable and exact as Exact Audio Copy as they are based on the same extraction methods. Easy Audio Copy benefits from various optimisations which increase extraction speed but ensure the reliability. The main difference is the interface which is much simpler and can be used without any background knowledge of the processes involved.
Original thread from which this was split: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....howtopic=102469

[original post follows]

The app was just released. http://www.easyaudiocopy.com/
The site is pretty detailed but I might be able to fill in any gaps. I did alpha test this app.
It is Windows Trialware (14-day) targeting the novice user. Price has not been listed yet.

EDIT: Just tested the current version (1.0.0.9) and there's still a bug in track numbering when HTOA is longer than 6 seconds. The app is supposed to write the hidden track as track 0 but is writing as track 1 (messing up track numbering for the remaining tracks). Bug was reported again.
korth

Reply #1
I'm opining here but I think the "different audience" that this sort of program seeks to "target" could be a pretty narrow one...but I could be wrong. I just don't think people (most admittedly) who already use iTunes or WMP or whatever, and don't have the time or inclination to set up and maintain a secure ripper, would be eager to add an extra step or more to what already works for them.
The Loudness War is over. Now it's a hopeless occupation.

Reply #2
Very few options to setup. The only two main options are output Audio Format and GUI Language. You can edit the metadata. There is an Advanced Option Tool though to adjust some other options (offer CDImage+CUE, compliant Track based CUE [with non-compliant INDEX 00 commented out], M3U8, UTF-8 CUE, always whole disc or offer track selection, file paths, track/image naming, encoder mode).
There are no options for read offset or gap detection. The program detects and sets these. Also no options for external encoders, custom tagging, metadata provider selection, C2, or rip mode selection.

Ripping is AccurateRip based to FLAC, MP3 and/or WAV. (yes and/or, you can select them all)
1st pass is Burst. If all tracks match AccurateRip, ripping is done.
2nd pass is Burst. (Only tracks that did not match AccurateRip). If tracks match AccurateRip or if SHA-1 checksum matches first pass, ripping is done.
3rd and 4th pass are Secure. (Only tracks that did not match per above). This can be aborted if it takes too long and files will be saved as is from pass 2. After you clean the CD and try to re-rip the program will offer to only re-rip the tracks that didn't rip correctly.

edited for content
korth

Reply #3
Trialware?

Oh noez, this won't end well.

Reply #4
The website says, at a minimum, you'd need windows 7 just to qualify to use it. And SHA1? On my system, anything above MD5 causes a slowdown. In short, unless you have the latest and greatest system, it looks like you should steer clear of this program.

Hopefully, Exact Audio Copy won't suffer the same fate, and will continue to be compatible with a variety of OS's, unlike this new program.
ghostman

Reply #5
Very strange this program  With a cd like a movie.
I'm extracting an old cd in flac.
It seams to me slow. It did not ask me where will be copied the tracks.
I use dBPoweramp, foobar and EZ CD Audio Converter (which is in french language also).

Reply #6
The website says, at a minimum, you'd need windows 7 just to qualify to use it.

Website says Vista and above. Note: Microsoft is ending Extended Support for XP on April 8, 2014.

It seams to me slow. It did not ask me where will be copied the tracks.

It takes 10 CDs to configure the program to your optical drive. Ripping will take longer during this process. Files are stored in %music% by default (C:\Users\yourusername\Music\AudioFormat). This can be changed using the Advanced Options Tool (available later).
If someone were willing to translate, a French version might be possible.
korth

Reply #7
It takes 10 CDs to configure the program to your optical drive. Ripping will take longer during this process. Files are stored in %music% by default (C:\Users\yourusername\Music\AudioFormat). This can be changed using the Advanced Options Tool (available later).
If someone were willing to translate, a French version might be possible.

The cd is ripped error-free , the programme did not find the right cover (I choosed an other one) and it has been long (dbPoweramp found immediately the right cover and showed all tracks. EZ CD Audio also. These programms not only extract, they also convert). I have Windows 7 Pro.
Sorry if I say these bad things 

The option tools will be very useful for me. It's not easy for me to have to search where are the tracks and to copy them elsewhere.
What about ripping only a few tracks from different cd's, to create a compilation ?

Fats Domino / The Best of

Used drive          : HL-DT-STDVDRAM GH24NS95  Adapter: 2  ID: 0
Used output format  : Flac
command line options : -6

TOC of the extracted CD

Track |  Start  |  Length  | Start sector | End sector
    ---------------------------------------------------------
      1  |  0:00:33 |  2:20:27 |        33    |    10560 
      2  |  2:20:60 |  1:38:63 |    10560    |    17973 
      3  |  3:59:48 |  2:35:62 |    17973    |    29660 
      4  |  6:35:35 |  2:15:73 |    29660    |    39858 
      5  |  8:51:33 |  2:02:67 |    39858    |    49075 
      6  | 10:54:25 |  2:01:55 |    49075    |    58205 
      7  | 12:56:05 |  1:52:73 |    58205    |    66678 
      8  | 14:49:03 |  2:00:40 |    66678    |    75718 
      9  | 16:49:43 |  2:23:35 |    75718    |    86478 
      10  | 19:13:03 |  2:01:25 |    86478    |    95578 
      11  | 21:14:28 |  2:02:50 |    95578    |  104778 
      12  | 23:17:03 |  1:54:47 |    104778    |  113375 
      13  | 25:11:50 |  2:26:18 |    113375    |  124343 
      14  | 27:37:68 |  2:21:50 |    124343    |  134968 
      15  | 29:59:43 |  2:05:65 |    134968    |  144408

Reply #8
Sorry if I say these bad things

I didn't develop the program but I've been using it for 3 months so I have some experience.

The option tools will be very useful for me. It's not easy for me to have to search where are the tracks and to copy them elsewhere.

I don't know why Andre didn't provide a link. I'll need to get permission to post a link here.

What about ripping only a few tracks from different cd's, to create a compilation ?

On the CD Information screen there should be a button at the bottom named 'Track Selection'. This will open a window that will allow you to select only one or more tracks. You'll need to group the tracks from different CDs to create the compilation on your own however.
korth

Reply #9
I don't know why Andre didn't provide a link. I'll need to get permission to post a link here.

It's on the FAQ page, under "I would like to customize the application more to my needs, are there any further settings?"

Reply #10
Thanks. Don't know why I expected to find it on the download page.
korth

Reply #11
Hmm, this explains why development of Exact Audio Copy looked like it had stopped.  Any word on whether Andre is planning to continue development of both programs?

(My apologies if the answer is on the website...I cannot reach it right now for some reason.)

Reply #12
CueTools does all this already superbly and it's open source/free. Secure rips with few settings needing adjustment by the user.

This looks like a cash-in on the strength of Exact Audio Copy's strong reputation.
XLD // ALAC // OGG VORBIS

Reply #13
CueTools does all this already superbly and it's open source/free. Secure rips with few settings needing adjustment by the user.

This looks like a cash-in on the strength of Exact Audio Copy's strong reputation.

In this case no one can complain at all. Mr. Wiethoff offered the best free tool for CD ripping ever for many years with his EAC.
He deserves to make some money out of his efforts. The PC audio market is there so why not.
Worse would be if he had started a DSD download sevice
Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #14
Gallery page looks promising, looks like it is really easy to use. While I'll probably never use it, I hope it'll gain some market share.
Music: sounds arranged such that they construct feelings.

Reply #15
Hmm, this explains why development of Exact Audio Copy looked like it had stopped.  Any word on whether Andre is planning to continue development of both programs?

(My apologies if the answer is on the website...I cannot reach it right now for some reason.)

There are plans to at least release a new version.

Reply #16
Thank U! Is here something Easy Audio Copy can offer more once I already have Exact Audio Copy?

Reply #17
Not really. EAC has a lot more settings and can be customized to your needs where Easy Audio Copy is targeted at those who find all those settings too much of a challenge. Two features missing from the current EAC version are ripping based on AccurateRip results and SHA-1 checksum matching (as I described in [a href='index.php?act=findpost&pid=851567']post#3[/a]). We'll have to wait for the next version of EAC to see if either of these are added to it.

Easy Audio Copy (I've been calling it EZAC but that's unofficial) has access to the GD3 CD information database (something that requires a paid license and why this program cannot be offered for free). GD3 is an option in EAC if you pay an additional fee.

Edit: changed wording.
korth

Reply #18
SHA-1 checksum matching

A main feature, seriously?

It almost suggests that it's somehow more useful/desirable that what EAC already does, as if it's on the level of the other feature mentioned.

Reply #19
OK, changed the wording.
korth

Reply #20
It should be named :
Difficult Audio Copy
Am I the only one testing it?
I inserted a cd...it did not find the artist nor the title...
So, it can search by bar code... the bar code I have on the cd is with numbers and 3 letters. But he likes only numbers.
It can search if I write title and artist. The problem is that he likes only artists with at least 3 letters (my artist has only 2)!

Well, I ripped my cd with an other program who found the title, the artist and all the tracks (not the cover).

Reply #21
The support forum can be found here and the email address for support is here. Please pass this information on to the developer.
korth

Reply #22
Sorry, I have no time to report anything or to ask support.
I was curious to try it and five minutes ago I uninstalled it.

Reply #23
So, it can search by bar code... the bar code I have on the cd is with numbers and 3 letters. But he likes only numbers.

If you have a CD with a bar codes on the back cover that contains letters I'd love to see it.  Traditionally they only contain numbers.

Reply #24
Sorry, I have no time to report anything or to ask support.
I was curious to try it and five minutes ago I uninstalled it.
You might want to reconsider your attitude towards providing feedback about things if you want any of them ever to get any better.