Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: oggenc2 sources (Read 7301 times) previous topic - next topic

oggenc2 sources

Hi, I am searching the source code of all release of oggenc2, since I'd like to look at the changes between various release of oggenc2, between oggenc (xiph.org version used in all linux distribution) and oggenc2, end eventually try to backport some feature of oggenc2 to oggenc. Some time ago I tried to compile oggenc2 under Linux without success. I find on the rarewares site only the source of the latest 2.83 version.

Have someone a download link for all version of past releases?

oggenc2 sources

Reply #1
Hi, I am searching the source code of all release of oggenc2, since I'd like to look at the changes between various release of oggenc2, between oggenc (xiph.org version used in all linux distribution) and oggenc2, end eventually try to backport some feature of oggenc2 to oggenc. Some time ago I tried to compile oggenc2 under Linux without success. I find on the rarewares site only the source of the latest 2.83 version.

Does someone have a download link for all versions of the past releases?

"John33's oggenc2.8 is a special version of the Ogg Vorbis encoder. "Features include compression from lossless files (Monkeys Audio, LPAC, FLAC, OptimFROG, WavPack and Shorten - requires presence of decoders), and the ability to specify 'padding' in the headers for subsequent insertion of Tags" (from Ogg Vorbis page at rarewares). "

it basically allows input of lossless files like FLAC, that's the only major difference.

http://www.rarewares.org/quantumknot/oggenc-aotuv451.gz - Here is the Linux AoTuV compile, I don't know if it's oggenc2.83? I am assuming so?, but for some reason it's not listed on the rarewares page. It's in the wiki though
budding I.T professional

oggenc2 sources

Reply #2
I have most, if not all, of the old oggenc2 sources available if really needed. There about 10 previous versions.

As stated by HotshotGG, some of the differences are that it will accept input from most of the lossless formats although FLAC integration is the cleanest as it uses the same routines as the standard oggenc. For FLAC input, the option also exists to 'scale' the input using the vorbisgain tag info from the FLAC files. There is also the option to pad the headers for adding subsequent tagging info without the need to rewrite the files but this requires the support of the tagging software to work effectively.

Other principal differences are that it includes third party provided unicode patches and probably most significantly, it provides correct support for multichannel file input in line with the vorbis I spec.

How many of these changes are portable, I have no idea, I am a 'linux virgin'!!  I'll provide any assistance I can, within the limits of my knowledge, and we'll be more than happy to host a successful project at Rarewares.

oggenc2 sources

Reply #3
Didn't oggenc2 also have better resampling?
Veni Vidi Vorbis.

oggenc2 sources

Reply #4
Didn't oggenc2 also have better resampling?

You're absolutely right!! I forgot all about that!!  It uses libsamplerate in place of the standard routines.

Thanks for the reminder.

oggenc2 sources

Reply #5
Hi, thanks for your response. Yes, I know oggenc2 / OggDropXP, in fact I used them a lot in the past. However now I have moved definitively to Linux, and I miss the features of oggenc2. Would be really nice to port them to oggenc1. Unfortunately my only programming experiences are that of an old university course... However I'd like to take a look at old sources, trying to look at the differences between various releases with "patch" command and trying to apply some of that patches to oggenc1. I don't know if this is the best way, or if it's better to start working directly to the 2.83 sources.

Would be nice if you can put the old sources in a directory in:
http://www.rarewares.org/files/ogg/

Also, another thing: taking a look at the 2.83 sources I see that rehuff code is ifdeffed out. Reading this 2003 thread:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5279
I see there was some problems with seeking of rehuffed files. However in the thread, the author sayd that the problem should be in libogg and not in the rehuff code. Since that time there were some updated release of libogg, so I am asking if rehuff works fine now with latest libogg (would be nice to include again in the binary and try if it works).

oggenc2 sources

Reply #6
Hi, thanks for your response. Yes, I know oggenc2 / OggDropXP, in fact I used them a lot in the past. However now I have moved definitively to Linux, and I miss the features of oggenc2. Would be really nice to port them to oggenc1. Unfortunately my only programming experiences are that of an old university course... However I'd like to take a look at old sources, trying to look at the differences between various releases with "patch" command and trying to apply some of that patches to oggenc1. I don't know if this is the best way, or if it's better to start working directly to the 2.83 sources.

Would be nice if you can put the old sources in a directory in:
http://www.rarewares.org/files/ogg/

Done. 
Also, another thing: taking a look at the 2.83 sources I see that rehuff code is ifdeffed out. Reading this 2003 thread:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5279
I see there was some problems with seeking of rehuffed files. However in the thread, the author sayd that the problem should be in libogg and not in the rehuff code. Since that time there were some updated release of libogg, so I am asking if rehuff works fine now with latest libogg (would be nice to include again in the binary and try if it works).

I was aked to remove the binaries that included the rehuff routines by the author. I left the code in so that anyone who felt so inclined could recompile it in!!  However, I don't feel like incurring the wrath of the author again by providing binaries.  Sorry about that, but I believe the author's wishes should be respected.