Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Warbling distortion audio file (Read 2654 times) previous topic - next topic

Warbling distortion audio file

Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone can help - I recently purchased a very rare demo disc - Taylor Swift's Volume 2 (released circa 2003, none of these tracks have been released on her albums).  There are 15 tracks on the disc, 2 of them appear to be damaged (tracks 12 and 15 - American Boy and In the pouring rain respectively).  Theres a strong warbling sound on the CD when these 2 tracks are played, with the song actually present, but at a lower volume and overshadowed by the warbling distortion. 

I have done an accurate rip using EAC but the rip has the same issues present.  Interestingly, EAC shows no read/sync/CRC errors when ripping these tracks.  I would have expected if there were disc surface issues (scratches, warping, fingerprints, etc) that there would be errors.  Am I correct in this assumption?  I very carefully cleaned the disc with a mix of isopropyl alcohol/distilled water (1:10 mix ratio), using a cotton cloth, radially from centre to edge of the disc.  This did not make a difference.  I can see very fine scratches (radial) that are present on the disc - at least a dozen of the buggers all around the disc.  I am not impressed.  Several of the scratches do appear to intersect, and the intersect points are probably very close to the problem tracks. 

My questions - if it was a scratch, and intersecting scratches, wouldn't it just affect that part of the audio stream, and not the entire track?  The 2 tracks are buggered from start to finish. 

I have checked by the left and right channels in Audacity, both have the sound issues present.  A 5 or so second excerpt can be downloaded via the URL below:

http://www.ecn.net.au/~dpastern/taylor/amboy_excerpt.zip

Taylor was just 14 when these songs were written and recorded and this is a rather rare piece of music history as some would appreciate. 

Could it be that the dye used on the CD-R is problematic on these 2 tracks and is causing the problems (as opposed to the visible scratches)? 

Is there a way that I could remove the warbling - any help would be appreciated.  I'm familiar with Audacity, but only a total beginner!

Dave

Warbling distortion audio file

Reply #1
There is nothing wrong with your CD. The symptoms that you describe could not result from a defect in the CD or how it was ripped.

The problem is that this is how it sounds on the master, some problem with the tape machine that recorded it I guess. If they were not able to make it sound better when they mastered the CD then there is probably not much hope.