Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC + Vorbis + Lame = Spyware (Read 5053 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC + Vorbis + Lame = Spyware

Yes, someone claimed this in the german Chip Forum. Volcano and I wanted to help someone to get the best quality out of his wave files and so we recommended him EAC + Vorbis or Lame. After a very senseless discussion he brought up the lie that EAC + Vorbis is spyware and that we get money for spreading it... Just if one is interested and is able to read german here is the Link

Chip.de Forum

Comments ?

Reply #1
Comments?!? LOL 

Maybe he was just teasing? Nobody can be that stupid??
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #2
i believe he is that stupid! He encourages other people to dismiss EAC and stop using it because it is spyware. His ad-aware program told him this...

Reply #3
Heh.  Anyway, what probably happened is his adware program freaked out when EAC did the drive scan and asked if the information could be sent back to the database or something like that.  Still.. kind of amusing really..

Reply #4
the way i see it is that he has run the programm after a while and found some spyware on his machine, and "taa daa" must be EAC, because i just downloaded it

Reply #5
Vorbis isst death!!! EAC ist Death!!!

Reply #7
the chip forums seems to be the home of the real hard guys

Reply #8
He is from Idaho, and posts in german Chip fora, poor guy heh?

The best thing is, he claims that Volcano and I are some con man, one who plays the uninformed, innocent who pretends to want to know something and the other suggests spyware to get secret numbers, bank pins, money and so on...

Do we germans have such a bad image over there ??

Reply #9
Only to paranoid idiots, Benjamin  .

You have to remember, and no offence to the americans who use this board, but from personal experience I know that there are numbers of people in 'small town America' who barely know where Germany is!!

john33

Reply #10
Heck, a moderator chucked most of that thread. (Deleted it completely I mean, not even moved it to the off topic forum.)

Hmm, rough methods they use there... Anyway it was kinda funny while it was there

Reply #11
he still claims that EAC is spyware, he asked the moderator to test it...

Reply #12
About all this spyware non-sense... pure RUBBISH!  Just for the hell of it I decided to run my own spyware test on EAC / Lame.  Ad-Aware is a great program for catching spyware on your PC.  It does a complete memory, registry, and file scan and informs the user in an efficient and straightforward manner whether any spyware exists.  You then have the option of deleting or ignoring any found spyware.  I figured it would be the perfect piece of software to test for spyware both because it works wonderfully, and the person making claims about EAC / Lame used it.  It's too bad that this person believes that spyware exists where it obviously does not.  Hey… we all do make mistakes, right?

If anyone is interested in Ad-Aware, go here:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

In testing for spyware in EAC / LAME (which I knew was pointless... lol). I first scanned my whole system before installing any of the programs in question.  It should be noted that my system was a fresh load of Windows XP, and EAC / Lame had yet to see my PC’s hard drive.  The initial scan results came up with ZERO spyware results.  I next proceeded to install EAC / Lame (Razorlame install off of r3mix).  After this I ran another complete system scan.  Guess what!?!  ZERO spyware found.  I rest my case.

Reply #13
Hmm.

Install a good software firewall and you get exact statistics which programs try to access the internet, when, where and by which protocol. "Surprisingly" EAC only tries to access the internet when I press "Get CD information from -> Remote cd database"...:spank:

And go to even further off-topic, The Proxomitron is just about the best thing you can get to filter your web pages. Much more customizable and powerful than than Ad-Aware and you can copy & paste your own filters easily. I simply love that program!

My software firewall of choice, Tiny Firewall.
http://www.tinysoftware.com

http://proxomitron.org/

Both free of course.