Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Greatest Guitar Players Of All Times (Read 48103 times) previous topic - next topic

Greatest Guitar Players Of All Times

Moving on from top albums, I thought everone might be interested in finding out what guitar players everone one conceders tops of all time.  Any music Genre
My top five are

1. Jimmi Hendricks..He was the single greatest rock guitarist to ever walk this Earth
2. Joe Walsh...James Gang/Barnstorm/Eagles
3. Leslie West...Mountain
4. Robin Trower..The Paramounts/Procol Harum/
5. Jimmy Page...Yardirds/'Led Zeppelin

Hard to stop but If you could only choose 5 those are my 5

6. Stevie Ray Vaughn....Couldn't resist one more!!!
What if the Hokey Pokey....is What it's all about?

Reply #1
6. Stevie Ray Vaughn....Couldn't resist one more!!!

And you forgot even one more - just click on my signature... B)
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen
BLUEZZ BASTARDZZ - "That lil' ol' ZZ Top cover band from Hamburg..."
INDIGO ROCKS - "Down home rockin' blues. Tasty as strudel."

Reply #2
In no particular order:

Alex Lifeson - RUSH
Steve Howe - Yes
Ty Tabor - King's X
Adrian Smith & Dave Murray - Iron Maiden
Dave Mustaine - Megadeth
Steve Clark - Def Leppard (deceased)
Jimmy Page -  Led Zep

Reply #3
Well, Rolling Stone once had a cover article entitled "Richard Thompson: The Best Guitarist in Rock (and why you've never heard of him)".

Some people seem to have trouble listening to his voice, but if you can get past that I highly recommend giving him a shot.

I have also been listening to a lot of Wes Montgomery lately.

Reply #4
Walter Trout
Ry Cooder
Joe Satriani
Lee Ritenour
Adrian Legg.....................

The list is endless

auldyin

Reply #5
In no particular order

B.B. King
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Eric Clapton

Reply #6
1. Randy Rhoades
2. James Hetfield & Kirk Hammet - Metallica
3. Adrian Smith & Dave Murray - Iron Maiden Greetz @dacs-iv
4. Brian Robertson & Scott Gorham - Thin Lizzy
5. Chris DeGarmo & Michael Wilton - Queensryche

Reply #7
Well, Rolling Stone once had a cover article entitled "Richard Thompson: The Best Guitarist in Rock (and why you've never heard of him)".

Some people seem to have trouble listening to his voice, but if you can get past that I highly recommend giving him a shot.

I have also been listening to a lot of Wes Montgomery lately.

He's a hard man to find......

A founding member of the seminal British folk-rock group Fairport Convention, he remained with the band for five studio albums — Fairport Convention (1968), What We Did on Our Holiday (released as Fairport Convention in the U.S.) (1968), Unhalfbricking (1969), Liege and Lief (1969), and Full House (1970) — and one live recording (Live at the L.A. Troubadour [recorded in September 1970, released 1976]....aka Richard Thompson.
What if the Hokey Pokey....is What it's all about?

Reply #8
Mark Knopfler and David Gilmour for me.

Reply #9
1. Jimmi Hendricks..He was the single greatest rock guitarist to ever walk this Earth

James Marshall "Jimi" Hendrix
November 27, 1942 - September 18, 1970

"Forever in our hearts"
Rommel

Reply #10
In my opinion, and in no order:

Steve Howe of Yes
Seteve Vai
Joe Satriani
John Petrucci of Dream Theater
Andres Segovia
Paco de Lucia
John McLaughlin
Jimi Hendrix
Robert Johnson
Randy Rhoads

Reply #11
In no particular order...

Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins)
Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)
Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
Jerry Cantrell (Alice In Chains)
iTunes 10 - Mac OS X 10.6
256kbps AAC VBR
iPhone 4 32GB

Reply #12
In no particular order :

Joe Satriani
Michael Lee Firkins
Y. Malmsteen
Adrian Smith & Dave Murray - Iron Maiden
Dave Mustaine & Marty Friedman - Megadeth
Jason Becker & Marty Friedman - Cacophony
Steve Vai
Stevie Ray Vaughan

Reply #13
Even though the list could go on forever I am just going to state some guitar players that really stand out to me.

The Greatest Of Them (History):
1. Van Halen - He comes in first, because he practically invented the 'tap' humoursly which gave metal/power rock in the 1980's a jump start to some serious solo's.
2. Jimi Hendrix - Right there behind Van Halen as expected, that's obvious
3. Rhandy Rhoads - The heart and soul of Black Sabbath next to Ozzy before he passed on.
4. Joe Satriani

My Personal Favorites (Present Day)
5. Rivers Cuomo - Maybe not the greatest of all time, but he can crank off some beautiful solo's/riff's as we saw in 'Maladroit' and has an uncanty ability for writing music.
6. Billy Corgan - I think some of the tracks on 'Siamese Dream' are enough to say it all.
budding I.T professional

Reply #14
I'm really no expert, but Dominic Miller sounds cool... he's been on tour with Sting, so maybe it's because i like the music itself already. But Miller manages to create that certain "atmosphere" in some songs, it's fantastic.

Reply #15
Steve Vai (Steve Vai)
Joe Satriani (Joe Satriani)
John Petrucci (Dream Theater)
Yngwie Malmsteen (Yngwie Malmsteen)
Igor Belsky (Igor Belsky)
Marty Friedman (Megadeth)
Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen)

Jimi Hendrix (Jimi Hendrix)
Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits)
Carlos Santana (Santana)
Gary Moore (Gary Moore)
Bonnie Raitt (Bonnie Raitt)
Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple)

Dezibel

Reply #16
Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen, Victor Smolski, Jerry Cantrell, Rudolph Schenker, Jimmy Page, Ritchie Blackmore, Kim Thayil, Alberto Cereijo, John Petrucci, Mark Knopfler, Eddie Van Halen

Reply #17
Ever hear of Jeff Beck? It has been said that Les Paul didn't know his instrument could produce that kind of sound until he heard Jeff play.

Robben Ford
Robin Trower
Eddie Van Halen
Jimi Hendrix

Reply #18
here goes...

robert johnson
bb king
chuck berry
steve cropper
matt murphy
terry kath
peter green
duane allman
phil keaggy
jimi hendrix
eric clapton
jimmy page
jeff beck
mick taylor
brian jones
carlos santana
kim simmonds
stevie ray vaughan
david gilmour
eddie van halen
slash
johnny winter
alvin lee
frank zappa
ritchie blackmore
brian may
allen collins
angus young
paul kossof
rick derringer
mick ralphs
ty tabor
alex lifeson
peter frampton
steve marriot
joe walsh

edit: i can't believe i forgot joe walsh... he kicks so much ass [in james gang, anyways... pick up the live album/cd and be amazed at the yardbirds cover...]
more to come...

Reply #19
Sunday Night by Savoy Brown is great example of Kim Simmonds. Forgot about him.

Reply #20
Jimi Hendrix
Jeff Beck
Roy Buchanan  (most expressive blues rock guitarist I've ever heard)

Reply #21
roy buchanan != robert johnson...

anyways, i'm kinda taken off-guard that most people list grunge/punk/whatever guitarists as the greatest of all time???

later
mike

Reply #22
Blues Guitar:
Vaughn
Hendrix
Johnny Winter

Heavy:
Hetfield (don't care for Hammett's solos myself)
Dimebag Darrell

Prog Rock/Metal:
Malmsteen
Vai
John Petrucci

Best rock-riff writer ever:
Page

Best bassist or drummer would be infinitely more interesting,though.

Reply #23
Jimi Hendrix for sure.
Also, Tony Iommi & Geezer Butler (old Black Sabbath)

Reply #24
It seems like everyone is listing the same sorts of guitar heroes as the greatest players. What about the innovators who radically changed the genre?

Andres Segovia made the guitar a recognized performance instrument, and without him there's no telling what the instrument would be used for today. His classical work is amazing. Also, Spanish and flamenco guitarists from that time used the tapping technique... just a wee bit before Van Halen came around.

Robert Johnson opened up all kinds of possibilities in blues, and Wes Montogomery did much the same for jazz.

But forgetting about those important players for the moment, I'd have to say my favorites include:

Shawn Lane - not only is he faster than anyone listed on this page, but he's keen on writing actual melodies and soulful music that isn't designed to show off. Most of it is done in one take or is live and improvised so there's a raw emotional power to it that's lacking from guitarists like Vai and Malmsteen and Petrucci.

Ron Thal - He can also play faster than anyone listed here, but like Lane, doesn't bother doing so for the most part. Thal focuses on making unheard of sounds and communicating in unique ways.

Chuck Schuldiner - His playing is probably too noisy for non-metal fans, but he wrote some of the most expressive riffs and solos that metal has ever seen.

And last of all, why haven't more people mentioned David Gilmour? The Pink Floyd guitarist has covered nearly all of the styles mentioned and has done so with a sense of style and class that is almost unheard of. Very few shred and prog guitarists actually speak with their guitars, much less on the level that Gilmour did.

I don't write this to say that a lot of the guitarists mentioned so far aren't worthy, but I am surprised that there is such a strong focus on guitar heroes instead of true innovators that seek to communicate with their music. And yes, I know  I'm not the first to mention some of these guitarists, but they don't seem to be getting their due credit.