Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Windows Media Player Plus! - Various enhancements for WMP (Read 310647 times) previous topic - next topic

Windows Media Player Plus! - Various enhancements for WMP

Reply #125
Yes, I am running version 2.1 of your plugin. 

It seems like the Wow6432Node key was the culprit, changing Running from 1 to 0 did the trick and lets me use the What I'm Listening To feature now.

Thanks for the assistance with the problem.

Reply #126
Hi
Just downloaded WMP+ 2.1 and tried to instal. Get error message that it cannot find WMP.
I am running Windows 7 Home 32bit. WMP is version 12.0.7601.17514 - x86 architecture and the computer came with everything installed - nothing special has been done and WMP runs without any problem for native files.
I have checked the Processes Tab in Task Manager and WMP does not have 32 marked against it, so I presume it is running the 64 bit version and this is the reason it comes up with the error message (?). Is there an easy way to convert to the 32 bit version so I can get WMP+ to load?
Cheers
David

Reply #127
Did you perhaps use some registry 'cleaner'? These are known to sometimes remove perfectly valid registry entries as well, with the result that the WMP Plus! installer can't determine where WMP is installed.

Please copy/paste the code below into Notepad, save it as a WMP.reg file, and double-click this file to add it to the registry. Can you install WMP Plus! now?

Code: [Select]
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\wmplayer.exe]
@=hex(2):25,00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,67,00,72,00,61,00,6d,00,46,00,69,00,6c,00,65,\
  00,73,00,25,00,5c,00,57,00,69,00,6e,00,64,00,6f,00,77,00,73,00,20,00,4d,00,\
  65,00,64,00,69,00,61,00,20,00,50,00,6c,00,61,00,79,00,65,00,72,00,5c,00,77,\
  00,6d,00,70,00,6c,00,61,00,79,00,65,00,72,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,00,00
"Path"=hex(2):25,00,50,00,72,00,6f,00,67,00,72,00,61,00,6d,00,46,00,69,00,6c,\
  00,65,00,73,00,25,00,5c,00,57,00,69,00,6e,00,64,00,6f,00,77,00,73,00,20,00,\
  4d,00,65,00,64,00,69,00,61,00,20,00,50,00,6c,00,61,00,79,00,65,00,72,00,00,\

Is there an easy way to convert to the 32 bit version so I can get WMP+ to load?

If you're running Windows 7 32-bit then you're always running the 32-bit version of WMP as well. It's not possible to run 64-bit programs on a 32-bit operating system.

Reply #128
Thanks Tim, that did it, and yes, my registry cleaner must have been the culprit. 

Reply #129
Hi Tim,

Thanks for this plugin. I am wondering if there is a way to remove the stock advanced tag editor from the context menu. When I setup wmp for folks, I would like them to use your superior tag editor. It would be nice to not have the stock one available in the context menu. Thanks...

Reply #130
I'd rather not do this. I don't see any practical use and it can only cause confusion ("Hey, where did the Advanced Tag Editor go?"). Why not just let these people decide which tag editor they want to use, instead of forcing them to use the one in the plug-in?

If you really don't want the Advanced Tag Editor, you could still setup Windows 7 with WMP 12.

Reply #131
OK Tim,

I understand your concerns but you could have an option under Context Menus/Advanced Text Editor. It could be set to show or enabled by default. Then the user has the option to remove or disable. However if you do not want to add this option I understand. Can you at least point me to were I can disable it myself? Is the context menu stored in the registry or is it hard coded in a dll? Thanks for your support...

Reply #132
You might be able to remove the menu by editing the menu resources in the wmploc.dll file with a tool like XN Resource Editor.

Reply #133
Hi Tim,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. The XN Resource editor is a really neat app. I was able to track down and remove the stock Advanced Tag Editor. I had to rename wmploc.dll in dllcache so windows file protection would not replace my patched version with the original. WFP poped up and complained but it allowed me to keep the new file. The hack does not seem to cause any problems. The context menu still functions and your superior Tag Editor Plus works great. FYI my research has shown that the reason the stock tag editor was removed from WMP12 was because it was buggy and caused problems. This way when I set up a machine for someone, they will always use your tag editor without bugs and problems. Thanks again...

Reply #134
Hi Tim,

I have been loading a library for a friend and have run into a problem. I am using "Show disc numbers ('Set') in the track number-column". It was working perfectly but now is no longer displaying the disc number. I guess I have run into the 500 item limit. This is a nightmare as I have many multiple disc sets already in the library. I have had no problems what so ever with this option (i.e. no unexpected behavior or crashes). I am not sure why you had performance problems when you coded this? I there anyway I can override the 500 item limit? If not would you consider removing the limit in a new release? Thanks for your support...

Reply #135
First note that the limit doesn't apply to the total size of your library, but to how many songs you're currently viewing. So the disc numbers will still be shown if you're viewing an individual album, as long as that album has less than 500 tracks.

The limit has been added because the including of disc numbers slowed down WMP too much when it needed to load a large list of songs (up to a loading time of 1 second or more). If you really want to, you can change the limit by editing the IncludeSetMaxItemCount registry value in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\BM-productions\WMP Plus.

Reply #136
Hi Tim,

OK I just figured out what you are saying. If you are viewing an artist with less than 500 songs then disc number will be displayed. However when I go to songs which displays all albums/songs, then if there are more songs than the value of IncludeSetMaxItemCount, disc number will not be displayed. I currently have 2419 songs in my library. I find that if I change the registry value to anything lower than 2419 the disc numbers are not displayed. If the value is 2419 or higher than disc numbers are displayed correctly when viewing all albums/songs. So this is working by design. I have to decide if I want to increase the registry value to a higher value or go back to not using disc numbers. I find it hard to believe that WMP does not support disc numbers by default.

I have another question regarding file naming conventions for multi disc albums. Currently I am using the library setting "Rename music files using rip music settings". Unfortunately disc number is not included in the file name options under rip settings. This of course presents a problem when adding multi disc albums. The filename will be changed from "discnumber-tracknumber song title" to "tracknumber song title". I have found the dialog box for file naming options using the XN Resource Editor. However there is no way to add disc number. Even if I could add it, I suspect the code would not pick it up and use it. Do you have any suggestions on how to handle this problem? How do you have yours setup? Thanks for your support...

Reply #137
However when I go to songs which displays all albums/songs, then if there are more songs than the value of IncludeSetMaxItemCount, disc number will not be displayed. I currently have 2419 songs in my library. I find that if I change the registry value to anything lower than 2419 the disc numbers are not displayed.

I don't really see why you absolutely need to have the disc numbers in Songs view. They aren't going to be used for sorting anyway.

However there is no way to add disc number. Even if I could add it, I suspect the code would not pick it up and use it. Do you have any suggestions on how to handle this problem? How do you have yours setup?

Indeed, WMP's automatic renaming functionality doesn't support disc numbers. You could rename your music files with an external tool that does support these, such as Mp3tag.

I personally use MP3 Rename to give my music files a proper filename. This program doesn't support disc numbers either but I don't need those. Filenames in the %artist% - %title% format are good enough for me. And in a separate folder for each album of course.

Reply #138
Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply. Well disc number is definately used for sorting in song mode in the case of a multi-disc album that is in one folder. Otherwise you will get disc1 track1, disc2 track1, etc. With your switch it displays all tracks in disc one first then disc two. I do use mp3tag to change my filenames to include disc number for a multi-disc album. However "Rename music files using rip music settings" will change them back if the album has not already been added to the library.

With all this being said, I think the best approach for me is to not use disc number or the set switch from WMP Plus. I will just put each disc from a multi-disc album in its own folder. This way I can use "Rename music files using rip music settings" if the names are not correct and I do not have to worry about the sorting in song view. It is annoying that I will have multiple entries in the library for multi-disc albums but that is just how it is. BTW I see what you mean about the performance issues when using the set switch. I have about a 2-3 second delay. Thanks for all your help and advise...

Reply #139
Well disc number is definately used for sorting in song mode in the case of a multi-disc album that is in one folder. Otherwise you will get disc1 track1, disc2 track1, etc. With your switch it displays all tracks in disc one first then disc two.

Oh, I understand what you mean now. Disc numbers are in fact also used for sorting songs in WMP's Songs view, my apologies. I just hadn't noticed this before because all my multi-disc albums are compilations, so each track is listed under a different artist.

Unfortunately there's not much I can do about the performance issue, so the limit will have to stay for now.

Reply #140
Hi

I recently downloaded and installed WMP Plus! v2.1 on a Windows 7 Pro x64 laptop with WMP 12. All was well I was able to complete a lot of tag editing and was overall very pleased with the plug-in.

However when going back into WMP some days later, I found that I had to re-enable WMP Plus! in the Tools option as the Tag Editor Plus option in the drop down menu was missing. So is this normal behaviour or is there something strange happening with my WMP that is disabling the plug-in?

Reply #141
I stopped using WMP 12 for one reason: The library is not updated properly and no way to force the update. Some plans do something about it?
Listening to music is the best pastime.

Reply #142
However when going back into WMP some days later, I found that I had to re-enable WMP Plus! in the Tools option as the Tag Editor Plus option in the drop down menu was missing. So is this normal behaviour or is there something strange happening with my WMP that is disabling the plug-in?

I wouldn't really call this normal behaviour. Was this a one-time event or does the plug-in keep getting disabled frequently?

WMP automatically disables all of its plug-ins when it's not properly closed or has crashed, so that could be the cause - although then it's weird that you didn't see the 'plug-ins disabled' dialog at WMP startup. Another possibility is that you launched the 64-bit version of WMP. Since WMP Plus! is 32-bit only, that would disable the plug-in as well. WMP Plus's installer comes with a fix to prevent this from happening but perhaps this fix wasn't installed correctly?

I stopped using WMP 12 for one reason: The library is not updated properly and no way to force the update. Some plans do something about it?

A library that doesn't get updated anymore could be a symptom of library corruption. In any case not related to WMP Plus so off-topic here. The Windows 7 Media forum is the right place to go with this.

Reply #143
The time values for Skip Forward and Skip Backward are fixed at 10 seconds.  Is it possible to change these time values ?  When you want to skip over commercials, only 10 seconds at a time is very tedious.

Thank you in advance.

Reply #144
I recently installed Windows 8 and I installed Windows Media Player Plus!.  I'm not getting the tag editor when I right click on a song.  The plug in is active and other features of the plug in are working such as changing the title bar of WMP to show the song playing. Please Help.

Reply #145
Hey Tim, nice work on the plugin. Just installed it and it is working great.

I've got a feature request though. When you save a playlist in WMP 12, it automatically saves it as .wpl. Would it be possible to include a feature so you could order WMP 12 to automatically save the playlist as .m3u instead?

Thanks in advance and again, good job!

Reply #146
I recently installed Windows 8 and I installed Windows Media Player Plus!.  I'm not getting the tag editor when I right click on a song.  The plug in is active and other features of the plug in are working such as changing the title bar of WMP to show the song playing. Please Help.

This is most likely because the latest release of WMP Plus! doesn't really support Windows 8 yet. The soon-to-be-released WMP Plus! 2.5 will support Windows 8. I'll PM you the download link to a beta of this version, so you can give that one a try.

I've got a feature request though. When you save a playlist in WMP 12, it automatically saves it as .wpl. Would it be possible to include a feature so you could order WMP 12 to automatically save the playlist as .m3u instead?

Thank you for the feature request. However, I currently don't have any plans to add such a feature, because I don't think that many users are going to notice or need this, and because I doubt if it's even possible to implement.

Reply #147
The time values for Skip Forward and Skip Backward are fixed at 10 seconds.  Is it possible to change these time values ?  When you want to skip over commercials, only 10 seconds at a time is very tedious.

Sorry, I only noticed your post just now because I didn't receive any e-mail notification for it (probably because it was posted somewhere else and moved in here later on).

I'm not sure about making the time values customizable, but what do you think of separate actions to skip forward/backward 30 seconds?

Reply #148
Thank you for the feature request. However, I currently don't have any plans to add such a feature, because I don't think that many users are going to notice or need this, and because I doubt if it's even possible to implement.

Okay, fair enough Tim. The reason for my request is just that .wpl is a proprietary format which not all players support. Therefore it would be easier if WMP saved directly to .m3u instead of .wpl, thus making life a bit easier by not having to keep manually saving the playlists as .m3u.

But yeah, I can see how it's a niche feature. I'll find a way to work around it.

Reply #149
It's quite likely that someone has already written a .wpl to .m3u batch converter. And if such a thing doesn't exist yet, it wouldn't be too hard to script it yourself.