Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What is The Best Media Player (Read 7306 times) previous topic - next topic

What is The Best Media Player

I belive Winamp is the best payer for audio files what do everyone else think.
also what do u belive the best media player is for video formats

also i found these 2 programs that will allow u to play quicktime and realplayer format without installing the associated players

http://www.freecodecs.com/

Reply #1
IMO:

for audio: foobar2000
for video: 1337player

Reply #2
What's with threads like this?
Someone starts a new topic with a question such as "What is the best media player," and they answer the question themselves.

Maybe it's because I'm tired and sleepy, but I think this is strange.

Reply #3
Best player thread again?

Reply #4
the point of this thread is to get input on what everyone else thinks the best players are and why that way i and anyone else reading this gets a good idea of the various media player out there

Reply #5
Audio: definitely Foobar.
Video: i do not really watch enough videos to form an opinion on the different players.

Reply #6
audio: foobar2000
video: media player classic

together they take up less than 2mb of hd.

Reply #7
Short answer:

video: Any DShow based one will do (with the right filters installed), but personally I favor Media Player Classic
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #8
Personally i like BSplayer for playing video. Clean & not bloatware

[edit] 1337 Player  is even smaller, but requires DirectX9

Reply #9
Can't speak as to the best, only to what I currently use: WinAMP v2.91 for audio and WMP 6.4 for video.

Reply #10
I mostly use foobar and an old version of zplayer, but i'll check out this 1337player.
地獄

Reply #11
the point of this thread is to get input on what everyone else thinks the best players are and why that way i and anyone else reading this gets a good idea of the various media player out there

I apologize. I'll definately make a note to myself not to reply to anything in the future when I should be sleeping.

Reply #12
QCD
Media Player Classic

Reply #13
Use Foobar 0.6 for all audio, rarely play videos beside DVDs through PowerDVD/

Reply #14
Audio: foobar
Video: 

Reply #15
When the player can give you an excellent + accurate audio/video output, with no skips etc... interruptions, that's a GOOD player

what's the best player, it depends on what user wants!
if u want a lite version, i will say foobar or winamp
but if u want good media library, tagging etc..., media jukebox or media center
Video playback....ahhhh, Windows Media Player 9 (not bad, the video perfomance is very good compared to winamp)

Reply #16
Hard work might not kill you, but why take any chances?

Reply #17
For me:

Not a very original choice, indeed.

Reply #18
[deleted]

Reply #19
Audio: Good ol' Winamp (currently 2.95)
Video: BSPlayer or DVDsubber

Reply #20
Audio: Winamp 2.91
Video: Zoom Player 3.10

Reply #21
... post deleted: the forum software keeps messing it up! I will repost it further in this thread.

Reply #22
Audio: winamp for its plugin support (eg: Matrix decoder) and easy integration with other software running on my HTPC. If foobar could be used with my HTPC (hint hint: remote wonder plugin for example) I might consider switching to it.

Video: it used to be Media Player Classic, but one thing I have recently noticed is it is too forgiving   What I mean is you could have a badly setup system and MPC will still work fine, which is great, but it means problems go unnoticed. I love its realaudio support though, and I still use it everyday on my 'normal' desktops.

On my HTPC I have recently tested almost all available players and I have finally settled on Crystal Player which beats everything else by far. One of the nicest features is a great looking OSD in the hardware video overlay (which mean it is visible on TV). You have to try it to appreciate it.

A note about ZoomPlayer: I must have tried using it more than a dozen times following people enthusiasm about it but was always disappointed; overcomplex configuration, does not scale and crop properly (you notice it when using the hardware video overlay), OSD not in the overlay.

Video codecs: DivXG400 is a must to automatically resize and compensate for overscan, DVobSub is simply leagues ahead of anything else in term of the quality of its subtitle rendering engine, the latest DivX (Mahini) decoder has a fantastic feature with automatic Post-Processing adjustments, Nic's Xvid decoder has some good post-processing as well.

Ever thought of providing us with some links??  I'm wayyy to lazy to search for EVERYTHING you just mentioned on my own.
gentoo ~amd64 + layman | ncmpcpp/mpd | wavpack + vorbis + lame

Reply #23
Don`t know what is the best Media Player, but I use these programs:
Audio - foobar2000 
Video - Windows Media Player 8.0
DVD - PowerDVD

Reply #24
Video playback....ahhhh, Windows Media Player 9 (not bad, the video perfomance is very good compared to winamp)

I tried WMP9 before I tried anything else for video playback, but I ran into problems on some DVDs with a nasty interference line down the right side of the window.  This occurred regardless of screen mode, D-X version or any setting I was using, and I was unable to diagnose it.  I thought it may have been my discs, but I demo'ed another player, and the problem never surfaced in it.

So I pulled out the wallet    and bought the player I demo'ed, InterVideo WinDVD Platinum (I think it was $39, IIRC).  This was back when I was a complete newbie to audio encoding, also, and I/V also had an MP3 plugin for WMP9.  But as a video player, I like WinDVD a lot, it's loaded with features, and has never had the problem I had with WMP.  I think it's pretty bloated, but I've got enough machine to give it (even though it's a notebook).

Anyone else have playback problems with WMP9?  Or know a solution to the problem I had?  If so, I might go back to it.  WAIT...WHAT AM I SAYING?!?  M$ = bad, bad, bad...   

-----

Anyway, for audio, I only listen to FLAC or CDA on my PC, so I use Winamp for the FLACs and Phatnoise Music Manager for CDA because I can never get Winamp to see my DVD-RW drive, and haven't had time to diagnose why. 

Edit:  If I could just figure out foobar2000 well enough, maybe I could be part of the "in crowd".  I know it's powerful, but it's also *complicated*.  I'm trying...really!