Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 'DivX certified' MPEG4 player from German (Read 10745 times) previous topic - next topic

'DivX certified' MPEG4 player from German

branded as TEVION ( ALDI brand ), advertised for Monday, 24th November, with the following features

- DVD
- VCD
- S-VCD
- DTS
- AC3
- WMA
- MP3
- MP4 ( container ? audio ? )
- Picture CD
- progressive scan
- optical/coax digital out
- DivX certified

A picture is here, at first sight i thought its a KiSS slimline device with a different front panel, but now i honestly dont know.

Reply #1
DIVX** (3.11, 4.0X, 5.0X)

Hmm working 3.11 support would be welcome.  I hear the latest liteon firmware is 95% there, but still i have a lot of old TV shows in 3.11.

Wonder if it does Xvid or AAC audio?

Reply #2
They also sell a Divx Player in France (Aldi shops) :

http://www.aldi.fr/OFFER_F/OFFER_48/OFF01.HTM

It is based on the ESS Vibratto chip.
I don't know the brand, and if firmware updates will
be available, but it seems a good deal anyway !

Reply #3
Be carefull, there doesn't seems to be profile info for mpeg-4 compliance.
It means that it could perhaps be only simple profile (no B frames, no gmc, no quarter-pel)

Reply #4
I think the best DivX Player for living room at this moment is M$ XBOX Game Console. It's very cheap and very flexible for software upgrade.

With Xbox Media Player/Center, It can play DivX/XviD (with B-Frame, GMC, Q-Pel) in AVI, OGM or MKV container. AAC/Vorbis audio and SRT/SSA/VobSub subtitles are also supported.

http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de
http://www.xboxmediacenter.de

Reply #5
In Germany ALDI has a "return and get money back without having to tell the reason" policy. Because of this there should be no risk in trying it.
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #6
I am currently stressing my contacts at a known supplier of MPEG4 standalones to learn more about this unit ... i keep you updated ...

Reply #7
Btw, do you konw about the upcoming Philips mpeg4 dvd player?

Reply #8
I can't find this at the Aldi UK website. If it had MPC i'd buy the lot and give them to friends.

Christian: Any progress with the hardware DVD/MPC player yet?

Reply #10
Christian: Any progress with the hardware DVD/MPC player yet?

Nope, no answer since some weeks now. The last info i had was that they will send a prototype my way for testing .... and now they dont even answer my emails

I dont know if you guys can confirm that, but it seems the email spammers have finally succeeded to pervert the complete internet with their shit. I am assuming that most of the emails i am sending and are never replied to are blocked or trashed in spam blockers and anti-spam software these days.

If this is the case, the complete email sytem is obsolete. Even a normal letter or a fax seem to have a better reliability then an email these days, thanks to 'intelligent' spam blockers.

Obviously i am the only asshole who doesnt have such a blocker installed yet, is still suffering from loads of spam, but will definitely receive all emails being sent to him and even try to reply to them  .....

Reply #11
Btw, do you konw about the upcoming Philips mpeg4 dvd player?

The DVD-737? It's already for sale. Costs € 199,00 here.

Menno

Reply #12
I thought this might be interesting

"First standalone DVD-Player to support DivX-Pro decompression"

and only 120 euros....

According to Elta the 8883 MP4 supports advanced compression methods of the MPEG-4 Advanced Profile, which are partly used by DivX Pro and newer versions of Xvid:

Global Motion Compensation (GMC)
Motion compensation for quarterpixels (QPel)
B-Frame support
Post-processing
Data Partition (DP)
Error Resync Marker (RM)

source and more information:
http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8562

Any chance it could play NeroDigital correctly, speculations please

Reply #15
Ooops, i almost forgot this thread here, so i didnt update you :

It is proven now that ALDI has screwed their customers, willingly or not, as the unit is by no means 'DivX certified'  !!

DivX Networks have clarified on their website, that only the KiSS devices and the Philips player have passed the DivX certification procedure !!

This player is a fake, and i wonder if it really can play DivX 3.11 as they are claiming .....