Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Half of new Vinyl isn't played (Read 7990 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Half of new Vinyl isn't played

Reply #1
Can't tell if that's UK-only, or generally?

Reply #2
I'm certainly guilty of not playing my records too often, because my digital collection is so much more convenient. But I still do play them, they're not just decoration.

A vinyl record is much more appealing as an object than a CD, and I have an irrational love for physical tchotchkes.

Reply #3
I think a lot of the unplayed discs are in the possession of hipsters. My only concern is that, when vinyl is no longer the thing to be seen buying, I hope they offload their pristine, unplayed collections on second-hand shops, rather than just dumping them.

Specifically, I would like it if they all sold their LPs to Alan's Records in Finchley, North London (my nearest, hint, hint).

Reply #5
Maybe they have not yet realized LP has two sides ;)

Reply #6
Maybe they have not yet realized LP has two sides ;)
Ah, wow! You could put your recording on the top side and a backup on the bottom side...
Cheers,
Alan

Reply #7
Couldn't find the ICM source or how many were in the poll, but did find earlier ICM figures from 2013 [PDF].

At that time, based on a survey of 2030 users online, it was 27% who didn't play their records, and according to the introduction an equal number didn't own a turntable.

I personally have a small collection of vinyl that goes unplayed due to the latter, as I've been storing them for a time when I finally get around to getting the right equipment to make a good digital rip. For me it's because some releases are only available on vinyl.

Reply #9
Half of my digital collection isn't played.

Wait... Probably 90-something-precent of it is never, or seldom, played. Sometimes new downloads never actually get listened to. It's very easy to just hoard digital music.

Was it so different way back then?  Well, perhaps it was: buying a record (remember when we didn't refer to it as "vinyl," because it just... was. We didn't feel the necessity to point out that it was not shelac)... Err, rambling agin... Buying a record was more of an occasion, it was a much higher percentage of income, so not so many got put into the neglect-for-ever pile.
The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain

Reply #10
Fewer people in the world/fewer releases per year/fewer labels.  The indie thing was generations away.

The funny thing is vinyl zealots are either goinf deaf or were born long after the vinyl era: my ignorant take at least.

Reply #12
The resurgence in vinyl during a period of declining sales has been one of the music industry's more surprising success stories...

...accounting for almost 3% of the UK music market.

And I suppose flip-phones are about 3% of the cell phone market and are a "surprising success"!    :D   

Reply #13
The funny thing is vinyl zealots are either goinf deaf or were born long after the vinyl era: my ignorant take at least.

Hold up, TOS violation #15!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reply #14
I listen to every album I purchase from start to finish, sometimes multiple times. I even stopped pirating music years ago, when it became simply too convenient to be able to send money to the artists for their work, even when I was dipping into money I didn't actually have. (Credit.)

Reply #15
Specifically, I would like it if they all sold their LPs to Alan's Records in Finchley, North London (my nearest, hint, hint).
101 Collectors, Farnham :)
Seriously, I think the "vinyl revival" is to be applauded, anything that helps Musicians get paid has to be good.
Opinions about the infinite resolution of analogue notwithstanding of course.

Reply #16
I've recently re-started a Vinyl collection and I was a bit hesitant to do so as the main reason was a sort of nostalgia for when I used to collect it (I never bought into any suspect ideas about its quality with respect to digital).

I was worried they'd never get played, but actually I find that I've played every album I bought, and often do so on a whim, and I'm wondering why that is.

I think it's a couple of things, really, but it all boils down to the ritual, basically. I love albums, and there's something that I find inherently pleasing about a format which is designed for listening from start to finish (with a flip in the middle of course, or often likely a flip and a record change with modern album lengths). A format where it's easier to just listen to a track then try to fiddle about seeing to the start of the next one. Even though I rarely reach for the skip button on digital formats, there's just something about that that has nothing to do with sound and everything to do with where my head is at when listening to a record.

Doesn't hurt that the album art is really big, either.

I can sort of see why people would buy records just for decoration, but I think I only own one record which I don't intend to play, because of its relative rarity. In fact, I promised myself that if I was going to do this, it was to enjoy the records as possessions, and not to treat them like decorations or artifacts.

Reply #17
I love albums, and there's something that I find inherently pleasing about a format which is designed for listening from start to finish (with a flip in the middle of course, or often likely a flip and a record change with modern album lengths). A format where it's easier to just listen to a track then try to fiddle about seeing to the start of the next one. Even though I rarely reach for the skip button on digital formats, there's just something about that that has nothing to do with sound and everything to do with where my head is at when listening to a record.

I don't think it was designed for start-to-finish listening. It's just the way it was. Back in those days. we were just used to picking up the arm and lowering the stylus on the track we wanted. In long, continuous pieces, we could even sometimes find the bits we wanted by  the groove pattern, and even that was vastly easier than finding the place on a tape, unless you already noted the counter.

But mostly, yes, I listened to whole albums, so my counter to your point of view is that file-based digital saves me the trouble of getting up to turn the record over!

The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain

Reply #18
How many percent of vinyl releases come with a download code?

Once you have the music on file, the physical format is really merchandise, whether it is an LP or a CD. Nothing wrong about that.

Reply #19
I bought the special edition of the last Motörhead album.

It came as a boxed set with an LP, a CD and a download code.

Reply #20
I bought the special edition of the last Motörhead album.

It came as a boxed set with an LP, a CD and a download code.
That seems like Overkill (a Motorhead joke, there).

Reply #21
Well, the download code didn't actually work, so.... ;-)

Reply #22
Once you have the music on file, the physical format is really merchandise,
Exactly, Vinyl is the new T-shirt :)
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.