Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Simple multi-track player (Read 5032 times) previous topic - next topic

Simple multi-track player

Can you recommend a simple WMA+FLAC+MP3 player for Windows that will let me:

1) drop up to four tracks into it
2) start play of the first track
3) on a single keypress seamlessly switch play to any other track at the same time position.

This is for audio comparison listening tests. Thanks.

Thanks.

Reply #1
foobar2000 with ABX component can do exactly what you want with TWO tracks.  Not sure why for "audio comparison listening tests" you'd want to have more than two things being compared at any given time.  If this is a test of encoders, one of the things being compared should be the source.

In any case, Audacity could do it with four tracks playing together or individually in any combination.

Reply #2
> foobar2000 with ABX component can do exactly what you want with TWO tracks.

Thanks. It fails on "seamless" here, usually issuing a click upon switch.

> Not sure why for "audio comparison listening tests" you'd want to have more than two things being compared at any given time.

Easier to sort more in order.

> If this is a test of encoders

No - test of programme material.

> In any case, Audacity could do it with four tracks playing together or individually in any combination.

It fails to meet the requirement for switch on single keypress, AFAICT.

Reply #3
Download the free trial versions of DAW software.

Ableton Live or Traktor come to mind.

Reply #7
> In any case, Audacity could do it with four tracks playing together or individually in any combination.

It fails to meet the requirement for switch on single keypress, AFAICT.

Might the ''Solo'' buttons, found at the left of each track, fit your requirement for track switching?

Seems to me it should work, unless I've misunderstood what you need.

Reply #8
Might the ''Solo'' buttons, found at the left of each track, fit your requirement for track switching?

Can't see how. I find no keys to solo respective tracks.

Reply #9
That player could be "simple" if it only provides this exact feature, as what you are looking for is application which would allow reading two consequent files from playlist in memory (relative to currently playing tracks) and provide programmable seek timer. I don't know of a such, and I guess you'll need to hire programmer if you need this exact feature

If your seek points can be fixed, you could write cuesheet and get seamless output from foobar

If seek points are arbitrary, then at best again with foobar you could use comserver component, which I tried now out of curiosity with this results on XP:

1. ASIO output (regardless playback output buffer) produces gap or 34ms
2. Kernel streaming with playback buffer of 50ms, produces ~ 21ms gap
3. DS has a biggest gap, but you could use some fader DSP component to make transition almost seamlees (not builtin fader which is tied to playback buffer and always produces gap)

If you are interested in this adventure, replay and I tell you simple details

Reply #10
what you are looking for is application which would allow reading two consequent files from playlist in memory (relative to currently playing tracks) and provide programmable seek timer. I don't know of a such, and I guess you'll need to hire programmer if you need this exact feature

Well, foobar2000 with ABX has this feature. Just that it doesn't work with full quality.

results on XP:

1. ASIO output (regardless playback output buffer) produces gap or 34ms
2. Kernel streaming with playback buffer of 50ms, produces ~ 21ms gap
3. DS has a biggest gap, but you could use some fader DSP component to make transition almost seamlees (not builtin fader which is tied to playback buffer and always produces gap)

Ah. Seems the task is trickier than one would think.

Thanks for the info.

Reply #11
Well, foobar2000 with ABX has this feature. Just that it doesn't work will full quality.
In case anyone’s about to scream TOS #8  I presume this actually refers to this earlier post:
> foobar2000 with ABX component can do exactly what you want with TWO tracks.

Thanks. It fails on "seamless" here, usually issuing a click upon switch.

Reply #12
It does.