Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Frequency Analysis of hydrophone data (Read 3587 times) previous topic - next topic

Frequency Analysis of hydrophone data

I'm a Software Engineering student and for my dissertation I am attempting to make an automated dolphin monitoring system to run on a robotic boat. In order to determine if my hydrophone set-up is satisfactory I have recorded a 50 minute WAV file directly from the hydrophone while on the boat. I am hoping to check that none of the noise from the robotic boat will hinder the results of the monitoring system. I thought that the best way to do that would be to look at the frequencies produced by the boat's actuators etc. I have done some googling but am unable to work out how I would do this. FFT / Spectrogram seem the most likely but having tried one software's spectrogram solution, I was unable to tell what was going on. Is there a simple solution? Am I going about this in totally the wrong way? I don't want to spend on this, it was meant to be a simple check that the hydrophone I am using would work sufficiently in the location I have placed it.

My forte is not in this area, so any help would be very gratefully received.

Thank you.

Lowri

Frequency Analysis of hydrophone data

Reply #1
simple solution:

if you have cool edit or audition, record sample sound from the noise of your robotic boat, then save it as a profile in noise reduction filter and apply noise reduction on some monitoring sample with the saved profile

compare

edit: typo