Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Help with Speex files (Read 3020 times) previous topic - next topic

Help with Speex files

Regards from Spain. Sorry if my english it's not good enough. I'm bad at it.

I'm an user of the Soundhound recognition music for Android. Due to a problem with my smartphone I lost the normal function of it and I had to reinstall the system. After that I can't access the files that that app stores until the ability to connect to the Internet. But I still have the files. I was unbale to play those files on the computer by any program that I have. I know that the files are/uses Speex because I look inside one and the header says Speex 1.2beta3. I downloaded it and when I run speexdec it says "This doesn't look like a Speex file".

I'm writing here because the support for that app didn't answer to me anything. I'm wondering if you can help me.

I also attach a file (it has no extension).

audio.rar

Thanks in advance.

Help with Speex files

Reply #1
If it starts with speex instead ogg, then its probably a raw speex file, whereas you software is expecting speex to be in an ogg container.  You can use the ogg tools or a library like ffmpeg to wrap the files into an Ogg container most likely.

Help with Speex files

Reply #2
Tried that and same results (oggenc2 and Mediacoder through ffmpeg). Neither one recognize the file.

Help with Speex files

Reply #3
If i use the speexdec-fb from this site: speexdec-fb. (Download BinsUndTestFile.zip)
I will atleast hear some noise and it says that there are probably two streams.
Maybe if you play with the options it will decode fully.
I guess Fritz.Box (a router) uses a different way to store speex files and your music service too.
They had to ignore the first 43 bytes and then recompile speexdec to get it to work.
So it is propabaly doable with your file too. But even if i can program i really don't know where to start.
I tried with many many tools so i guess it's really modified.

Good luck

Edit:
Another forum link
Maybe with this tool it will work. Will register later and maybe check out the thread.
Most of Fritz.Box topics are in german, so if you need help.

Help with Speex files

Reply #4
Tried and same result than you with all my files.

Maybe I should try another approach to my problem. Maybe play with the app data to force recognize the files again.

Thanks anyway for the help.

Re: Help with Speex files

Reply #5
If i use the speexdec-fb from this site: speexdec-fb. (Download BinsUndTestFile.zip)
I will atleast hear some noise and it says that there are probably two streams.
Maybe if you play with the options it will decode fully.
I guess Fritz.Box (a router) uses a different way to store speex files and your music service too.
They had to ignore the first 43 bytes and then recompile speexdec to get it to work.
So it is propabaly doable with your file too. But even if i can program i really don't know where to start.
I tried with many many tools so i guess it's really modified.

Good luck

Edit:
Another forum link
Maybe with this tool it will work. Will register later and maybe check out the thread.
Most of Fritz.Box topics are in german, so if you need help.

Thank you. speexdec-fb worked for my case.

I extracted .audio file from iOS Soundhound application. It had "Speex 1.2rc1" in its header but speexdec was not able to recognize the file. speexdec-fb successfully played back the file with minor "decoding overflow" warning. I just did "speexdec-fb filename.audio" command without other options.