Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC, LAME - WAVs and MP3s. (Read 5021 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC, LAME - WAVs and MP3s.

I am new here, but have been reading a lot and researching via searches, but I have a question that I am guess has been covered before.

I want to rip WAV and MP3 files from my CDs.  I am currently able to do this using EAC and LAME.

I am happy with the MP3s thank to the great suggestions here on the forum regarding LAME settings.

I went to use the WAV files in WMP and Itunes, but they all got filed into 1 folder because there are no tags.  I also tried to remake some MP3 files from these WAV files and the MP3s ended up coming through with no Tag info.

Is there a way to rip WAV files that can be cataloged in a library and can be used to create MP3s that have tag info?

As my MP3s are coming out fine, I think my LAME config is fine and I just need to change some things in EAC for the WAV ripping.

Thanks,
Darrell

Reply #1
You could look into lossless compression formats as an alternative to storing the CD rips as WAV files.  Most if not all lossless formats allow you to tag the compressed files.  A plus is that the compressed files will take less space.

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Lossless

edit: FYI, I personally use FLAC.

Reply #2
Thanks for the reply.

I was hoping to use a lossless format that will be around for a long time.  The WAV format will surely be around.  I am not so sure that will Flac or the others will althought they are technically good formats.

Can you use EAC to save to FLAC or what is the recommended tool?

Regards,
Darrell

You could look into lossless compression formats as an alternative to storing the CD rips as WAV files.  Most if not all lossless formats allow you to tag the compressed files.  A plus is that the compressed files will take less space.

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Lossless

edit: FYI, I personally use FLAC.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305431"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Reply #3
As long as a lossless format is open source I can't see there ever being a problem with having undecodable lossless files anytime soon.  I also see having smaller sized files with tags a plus.

I personally use WavPack.  Lots of good lossless choices nowadays.  And yes you can use EAC to save to FLAC as well as a multitude of other formats.
Nero AAC 1.5.1.0: -q0.45

Reply #4
It looks like if I use EAC, I would need to make 2 rips of the CD to make a FLAC and MP3 file.  Is there a tool that will make both files in one pass?

As long as a lossless format is open source I can't see there ever being a problem with having undecodable lossless files anytime soon.  I also see having smaller sized files with tags a plus.

I personally use WavPack.  Lots of good lossless choices nowadays.  And yes you can use EAC to save to FLAC as well as a multitude of other formats.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305441"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Reply #5
I believe that MAREO is exactly the application you're looking for
Nero AAC 1.5.1.0: -q0.45

Reply #6
Flacattack is another good program.  There's also a similar program, Wack, which is similar to Flacattack, but supports other formats besides FLAC (Wavpack, Monkey's Audo, etc.)

About lossless formats becoming unsupported, if you think that the format you chose is starting to die, you can always switch to another format (that is transcode your lossless files from one format to another).  Of course, it's kind of a pain in the neck, but as DreamTactix pointed out, a format "dying out" shouldn't be a major problem in the forseeable future.

Reply #7
Is there a way to rip WAV files that can be cataloged in a library and can be used to create MP3s that have tag info?

As my MP3s are coming out fine, I think my LAME config is fine and I just need to change some things in EAC for the WAV ripping.

Thanks,
Darrell
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305428"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

EAC can be configured to tag MP3s automatically, and to save the MP3s in an Artist - Album folder structure, for example. To do this you'll need to set EAC up so that it grabs the track details for your CDs from the freedb database.

--
Baxter

Reply #8
Baxter,

Thanks for the reply.  I have no problems with the MP3 tagging.  It is the WAVs that I have problems getting the MP3 Players to catalog.  All the WAVs end up in the Unknown Artist folder.

Regards,
Darrell McCombs

Thanks,
Darrell
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305428"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

EAC can be configured to tag MP3s automatically, and to save the MP3s in an Artist - Album folder structure, for example. To do this you'll need to set EAC up so that it grabs the track details for your CDs from the freedb database.

--
Baxter
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305479"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Reply #9
That is because the .wav's have no tags.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #10
In EAC, under the 'Waveform' tab, there is an option called 'Add ID3 Tag', but i wouldn´t recommend it... Instead just use a lossless encoder like FLAC or WavPack... Also you could just rip and encode with EAC to FLAC or whatever, and then transcode to MP3 while keeping the tags, in foobar2000. -Martin.

Reply #11
Try making EAC use a batch file as an encoder

Actually, I never thought of that before.
*goes off to try*

E: Fucking cool it works.

Will make a sample batch file - one sec (will code MPC and FLAC).

The command line will have to use the tag info in a specific order, I'm sure you can add it.

Code: [Select]
echo 1: %1 2: %2
pause

So running:

moo.bat "The Beatles" "Hello Goodbye"

will output:

1: The Beatles 2. Hello Goodbye

so in this way, we can do something like.
Code: [Select]
D:\enc\mppenc-windows-1.15v(1)\mppenc.exe -quality 6 --ape2 --artist "%1" --title "%2t" --album "%3" --year "%4" --track "%5" --genre "%6" --comment "%7" "%8"

And have EAC run:

moo.bat "%a" "%t" "%g" "%y" "%n" "%m"  "[tool++][www.toolplusplus.com] - EAC Secure" "%s"

Grabbing CD to test output.

I'm NOT certain this works yet

Edit: BAH I'm giving up, it doesn't seem to work and the bastard dos box only flashes up for 10ms
hi