Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Replaygain bug?! (Read 6304 times) previous topic - next topic

Replaygain bug?!

If I select all files in the playlist (~1600) and choose the option "Replaygain-->Scan per file replaygain" nothing happens. But if I only select the files which have no replaygain information yet, there's no problem!    Is this a bug or am I doing s.th. wrong? With 0.62a I didn't have that problem...
"We like to do 2% jazz and 98% funky stuff." [Maceo Parker]

Replaygain bug?!

Reply #1
Do you have "skip scanning files that already have replaygain info" enabled in preferences / playback ?
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Replaygain bug?!

Reply #2
Yes. I have that option enabled. But I think foobar2k doesn't skip the files which have no replaygain information, or am I wrong?

Replaygain bug?!

Reply #3
Looks like there's a bug causing scanning to be aborted when that option is enabled and first file has replaygain info already.
Fixed for next release - actually that option goes (temporarily ?) away because replaygain scanner goes to a separate dll and I don't feel like making separate config page just for that.

Replaygain bug?!

Reply #4
I think it's best that you bring this option back perminatly because I have about 800 files and rip some more from time to time.  The problem is that they are then intergrated into my playlist and finding them (and remembering which ones they were) is pretty hard.  So what I do is 'select all' and replay gain the entire list, skipping ones that already have the info.  I'm sure I'm not the only one to do this

Replaygain bug?!

Reply #5
Well, some people configured playlist title formatting to put red indicators on non-replaygained files. That should work better for you.

Replaygain bug?!

Reply #6
Good idea, I'd completely missed that.  Thanks a lot

Replaygain bug?!

Reply #7
I still think that the option to not scan files that already have RG info is useful.
Maybe I'm alone on that.. 

Replaygain bug?!

Reply #8
...actually that option goes (temporarily ?) away...

Yes, please... hopefully only temporarily...  :'(

I've relied on the scan-while-playing option to add replaygain info to my collection; I'm really going to miss that feature. Now I'll have to invoke scanning manually. 
...Since I randomly double-click on stuff in Explorer, I have no idea what has info and what doesn't. (I'm not complaining about that...that's my fault)

I guess that means before I upgrade to 0.667, I'd better put my entire collection into the playlist and scan all of them... otherwise there will be no chance of finishing the scanning of all these files in one day. 

UPDATE:
On a hunch I decided to see what happens when I have 'Greatest Hits' albums by two different artists in the playlist and attempt to add replaygain using "scan selection as mutiple albums using album field." Instead of treating 'Foo - Greatest Hits' and 'Bar - Greatest Hits' as two different albums, the scanner treats them as one album (verified by checking and comparing the albumgain metadata values).

...but if that is corrected, then album-gaining movie soundtracks consisting of several different artists would be broken...

Aargh!    Oh well...
godzilla525

Replaygain bug?!

Reply #9
I still think that the option to not scan files that already have RG info is useful.

You definitely aren't alone on it. I already have title formatting which marks tracks without track gain, but can't figure out how to sort by this info. I consider the feature so essential that I've had to revert to a previous version until some kind soul sorts it out - hopefully soon. So much easier to just Ctrl-A and then RG everything, letting the program skip over existing info. 

Replaygain bug?!

Reply #10
@Dhry: There's a modified version of the replaygain component available which supports to skip files that already have been scanned. Use the forum search... 

Replaygain bug?!

Reply #11
hi, i tried to find the modified replaygain scanner, but did not find anything. can you give me a direct link?

regards; ilikedirt

Replaygain bug?!

Reply #12
Sorry, ilikedirtthe2nd! I lost the direct link...  I only could EMail you the .dll. But it only skips files in track gain mode.

Replaygain bug?!

Reply #13

You definitely aren't alone on it.

I think it is a very useful option, which I use frequently... I read that the newer versions don't have that replaylgain-option anymore, that's why I don't upgrade.
Or maybe I should upgrade but keep the older foobar version too, just to replaygain stuff.
Btw, I use 0.62... can anyone offer me a download link to the very latest version that has all those useful replaygain options?
thank you,
Tom.
Back off haters - strictly love we deal with.

Replaygain bug?!

Reply #15
Its nothing major, just adds config page so you can toggle skip files with info again.

Which is pretty major for me! Thank you very much for this.

Replaygain bug?!

Reply #16
In a post above it was said that this will only do the skipping in track gain mode.. is there any chance of making it work for album gain scans also?

Replaygain bug?!

Reply #17
UPDATE:
On a hunch I decided to see what happens when I have 'Greatest Hits' albums by two different artists in the playlist and attempt to add replaygain using "scan selection as mutiple albums using album field." Instead of treating 'Foo - Greatest Hits' and 'Bar - Greatest Hits' as two different albums, the scanner treats them as one album (verified by checking and comparing the albumgain metadata values).

...but if that is corrected, then album-gaining movie soundtracks consisting of several different artists would be broken...

Aargh!    Oh well...

Good spot.

I guess a solution would be for "Scan Selection As Multiple Albums Using Album Field" to include a check based not only on the album but the folder in the file path.

Most people use some filing system like:

X:\My Music\ArtistName\AlbumName\files go here.mpc

So one might reprogram Foobar's RG scanner to assume it's truly from the same album only if all files with the same Album field are in the exact same folder. Then Foo's Greatest Hits, would be different from Bar's Greatest Hits.

Also, what I sometime do with double CD albums is:

X:\My Music\ArtistName\AlbumName CD1\files go here.mpc
X:\My Music\ArtistName\AlbumName CD2\files go here.mpc

But usually, I'll also include the CD1 or CD2 in the Album field.

While Album Gain will still work really well by treating them as individual albums, because I know they were mastered as a single entity and I wish to ensure that I preserve the relative loudness from one to the other, I usually select all the tracks from both CDs and scan them as a single album. In practice, Album Gain is highly accurate, and I don't know of any cases where the individual scan and the combined scan differ by an audible amount (e.g. more than 1 dB), and nor do I know of any cases where Album Peak would cause asignificant difference in playback volume between the CDs.

So, I'd prefer Album Gain to from the Album Field to skip the analysis on these if they're already analysed.

Replaygain bug?!

Reply #18
New version for 0.7x series needed.. *8-)

Replaygain bug?!

Reply #19
Regarding the "Greatest Hits" bug, I have a solution - have (yet another) option that scans as multiple albums using a user-supplied formatting string.

That way, if you have a weird way of tagging files/naming directories, it won't screw you up not having a more normal scheme. For instance, you could have it detect VA albums with either a tag, the filename, or nothing at all. You could have it detect multi-disc albums all as one album.

Replaygain bug?!

Reply #20
Well after getting some advice from peter on the subject ("Its opensource, go add the feature yourself"), i've decided to do just that (Inspite of my limited c++ knowledge)

So here goes, for everyone interested, here is a modified foo_rgscan.dll which support skipping of files which already have the relevant values.

foo_rgscan.dll

Its compiled against the 0.7b41 SDK, and all i can say is that its working here ™
You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.

- Abraham Lincoln

Replaygain bug?!

Reply #21
Well after getting some advice from peter on the subject ("Its opensource, go add the feature yourself")

HAHAHAH! (shaking head)

Works fine here. Thank you!
(It requires MSVCR71.DLL as well, by the way.)

Replaygain bug?!

Reply #22
Indeed it does requires MSVCR71.DLL, but there is no way im going to install both vs2003, and vs6...

Thanks for the info though, i will update the plugin requierments info
You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.

- Abraham Lincoln

Replaygain bug?!

Reply #23
Well after getting some advice from peter on the subject ("Its opensource, go add the feature yourself"), i've decided to do just that (Inspite of my limited c++ knowledge)

So here goes, for everyone interested, here is a modified foo_rgscan.dll which support skipping of files which already have the relevant values.

foo_rgscan.dll

Its compiled against the 0.7b41 SDK, and all i can say is that its working here ™

Any chance of recompiling this with latest RC SDK?

Replaygain bug?!

Reply #24
Any chance of recompiling this with latest RC SDK?

Ok, recompiled one for the RC series (RC6), although I'm not sure if anything will change by that, my guess that it wont.

foo_rgscan.dll

- Abraham Lincoln