Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to create song list? (Read 3464 times) previous topic - next topic

How to create song list?

Who remembers this DOS command?
I want to create a txt file out of a directory listing.  (Unless there's a better way.)

The list I want is (DIR *.* /s) This will list all the files within the directory and sub-directories on the screen -I want this to output to file.

Thought it was something like PRINT *.* /S MUSIC.TXT
But PRINT is not recognized.

I have 7,700 music titles (MP3, AAC, WAV) contained within appropriate directories/subdirectories. I just want a file that displays all the song titles within their sub-directory.

It's been decades since I used DOS.

TIA
EAC095pb5, LAME3.98, freedb, flac 1.2.1, fb2k 0.9.5

How to create song list?

Reply #1
Which DOS version?

Try DIR *.* /s > MUSIC.TXT.

How to create song list?

Reply #2
Try dir *.* /s /b /on > music.txt to remove unwanted header info and to have the list in alphabetical order.

How to create song list?

Reply #3
Found how to do this from Windows Explorer:

Open Notepad, and then copy and paste the following text into Notepad: 

@echo off
dir %1 /s > "%temp%\Listing"
start /w notepad "%temp%\Listing"
exit

Save the file as Prin.bat in the Windows directory, and then close Notepad.
Start Windows Explorer, click Tools, and then click Folder Options.
Click the File Types tab, and then click File Folder.
Click Edit, and then click New.
In the Action box, type Directory Listing.
In Application used to perform action, click Prin.bat, and then click OK.
Click OK, click Apply, and then click OK.
Open Windows Explorer, right-click the folder that you would like to view a directory listing of, and then click Directory Listing.

This pops-up Notepad with a detailed listing of all subfolder contents.

Problem is it doesn't work to list contents of another workstation on the (Win98) LAN. I'll just do it from there.
edit: this is good'nuff and I will not perform this often.  Printforms is slick, but the file is too big (10Mb) and takes forever to run.
EAC095pb5, LAME3.98, freedb, flac 1.2.1, fb2k 0.9.5

How to create song list?

Reply #5
DriveZ
Small, simple, but effective.

How to create song list?

Reply #6
use mp3utility, set to "catalog directory."  spits out filename, length m:ss, length in seconds, bitrate, file size, date last updated, content of all tag fields, and whole crapload of other stuff and it's FAST AS BALLS.

i've tried all sorts of programs to create a good catalog of my music, and this is BY FAR the best of them.

unfortunately it's not recursive, so those of you who have artist\album\song.mp3 setups will find it tedious... i just dump em all together and tag them well, so it works beautifully for me