Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadata support for WMP (Read 516595 times) previous topic - next topic

WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadata support for WMP

Reply #250
Hi Tim,

First of all I really would like to thank you for writing this plug-in. My respect about how you did it - exploiting the DLL loader is pretty smart.  I am also very impressed about the quality of the SDK, it's very professional.

I recently noticed that WMP12 added support for MP4 files, including metadata tags and especially for "AverageLevel" and "PeakValue" attributes. I am though still using Vista+WMP11 and thus I am very interested in MP4 file support in WMP11. So, I used the existing MPEG4 support from the SDK to add support for the new "Xtra" atom which is used by WMP12.

I would like to make this new MPEG4 support DLL as complete as possible to eventually achieve as much compatibility with WMP12 as possible. However, the "WMPTagPlusWriteMPEG4Tags" function does not yet provide all the attributes which would be required for that.

WMP12 stores the following WM attributes in the "Xtra" atom:
WM/EncodingTime
WM/MediaClassSecondaryID
WM/MediaClassPrimaryID
WM/Provider
WM/WMContentID
WM/WMCollectionID
WM/WMCollectionGroupID
WM/Publisher
WM/UniqueFileIdentifier
WM/ProviderStyle
AverageLevel
PeakValue

With my new MPEG4 support DLL I am able to handle WM/EncodingTime, WM/Provider, WM/ProviderStyle, WM/Publisher, AverageLevel and PeakValue. But I am lacking support for the remaining attributes. Simply because "WMPTagPlusWriteMPEG4Tags" does not provide them.

Additionally I also see that WMP12 added support handling multiple attribute values in MP4 files. It simply separates multiple values by a '/' character. However, I can not add that support to my new MPEG4 support DLL yet because "WMPTagPlusWriteMPEG4Tags" does not provide multiply attributes values (yes, it's even documented in the SDK).

So, I'd like to ask you for adding support for multiple attribute values and for the missing attributes. Having support for cover art would be nice as well, but still it's only a "nice to have". Personally I'd be more interested in support for multiple attribute values.

Thanks in advance.

Reply #251
Thank you for the information. I am planning to add support for the remaining attributes to the next major release of WMP Tag Plus. I'm too busy with school at the moment but I'll get back to you in about a week.

However, I currently don't have any plans for multi-valued attributes, sorry. According to the posts here and elsewhere, users seem to prefer cover art support and generally care less about multi-valued attributes, and I have to prioritize.

Reply #252
Hi there,

I use Windows 7 64 bit and Windows Media Player 12 in 32 bit mode.

I play mostly FLAC and use latest version of WMP Tag plus and that work fine but....

When I clerar the libary in WMP 12 and reload the files into WMP 12 again the "connection" to AMG information is lost and i have to reconnect all albums again.

When I right click on a FLAC-file that has been uppdated with a right click and the function "Find album information" I can see that the date of that file have not change.

Is there a way to have the changes to the FLAC-file to stay in the file so when i reload the libary all updates made in WMP 12 are still there?

Reply #253
What exactly do you mean with the "connection to AMG"?

Please check if WMP Tag Plus is loaded in WMP - it should be listed in the Tools - Plug-ins menu, and should have a checkmark next to it (press Ctrl+M if you don't see the Tools menu). If you have any other tag support plug-ins for WMP installed, please remove these to prevent conflicts.

Most changes to FLAC files in WMP's library should be written to file by WMP Tag Plus. You might want to check if the changes have been written, by opening a few FLAC files in an external tag editor like Mp3tag.

Reply #254
What exactly do you mean with the "connection to AMG"?

Please check if WMP Tag Plus is loaded in WMP - it should be listed in the Tools - Plug-ins menu, and should have a checkmark next to it (press Ctrl+M if you don't see the Tools menu). If you have any other tag support plug-ins for WMP installed, please remove these to prevent conflicts.

Most changes to FLAC files in WMP's library should be written to file by WMP Tag Plus. You might want to check if the changes have been written, by opening a few FLAC files in an external tag editor like Mp3tag.

Inside WMP you can find the information for the album by right clicjk and "Find information for album".

From the list of albums i always choose American Music Guide (AMG) and WMP store this information with he album.
Inside WMP ii show the column where i can see that AMG is the information providor.

You understand what i mean?

No, i have no other plugins and the NAS, where the files is saved, has no  protection for the files (read-only ond so on).

Ok, I  try the tag editor and controll what happens after the AMG-information updates the file.

Thanks!

Reply #255
Hi Tim! First of all, Thank You for writing this plug-in!
But there is room for improve in multifile tag editing:
In my opinion, best editor dialog design for multifile tag editing was in WMP 9 (or 10?...)
List of selected files was on the left side of dialog.

Reply #256
From the list of albums i always choose American Music Guide (AMG) and WMP store this information with he album.
Inside WMP ii show the column where i can see that AMG is the information providor.

Is it only the info in the Data provider column that gets lost when you reload the library? WMP Tag Plus doesn't write that info to FLAC files, as there's no standard FLAC tag for the data provider.

In my opinion, best editor dialog design for multifile tag editing was in WMP 9 (or 10?...)

Are you talking about the tag editor of Windows Media Player Plus? If so, then you posted this in the wrong thread (WMP Tag Plus is a different plug-in).

In my opinion, the list on the left just clutters the dialog. Besides, it will always be way too narrow to properly show song titles. I am planning to add an up/down button to Tag Editor Plus in one of the next versions, to quickly edit the previous or next song in the library list. That would probably be a good alternative for the list, without adding clutter.

Reply #257
Are you talking about the tag editor of Windows Media Player Plus? If so, then you posted this in the wrong thread (WMP Tag Plus is a different plug-in).

In my opinion, the list on the left just clutters the dialog. Besides, it will always be way too narrow to properly show song titles. I am planning to add an up/down button to Tag Editor Plus in one of the next versions, to quickly edit the previous or next song in the library list. That would probably be a good alternative for the list, without adding clutter.

You're right - I posted in wrong thread by mistake.
Both plugin great addition to WMP - so thank you for both
Up/down button will be good alternative.

Reply #258

Is it only the info in the Data provider column that gets lost when you reload the library? WMP Tag Plus doesn't write that info to FLAC files, as there's no standard FLAC tag for the data provider.

Sorry about the wrong thread!

My first time in this forum.

No, it is all information that not is written to the files (FLAC, WAV, OGG and so on).

Reply #259
Max, that was directed at AcidDan, not you. Everything related to WMP Tag Plus can be discussed here, so you're in the right thread.

FLAC and OGG are supported by WMP Tag Plus, but not WAV. Did you check if WMP Tag Plus is loaded, as I asked earlier?

Reply #260
I miss .mka support. and it has to support chapters.
foobar2000 supports that.

Reply #261
Max, that was directed at AcidDan, not you. Everything related to WMP Tag Plus can be discussed here, so you're in the right thread.

FLAC and OGG are supported by WMP Tag Plus, but not WAV. Did you check if WMP Tag Plus is loaded, as I asked earlier?

I found out what was wrong and it had to do with the rights on the file-level on the NAS. The file name ws updated according to what I had set in WMP but the updated tags where not saved in the file.

I use Tag Editor Plus and the Advance option to right click on a single track and  I can very easy see all the tags that has been updated.

Now i can see the providor of the information (AMG) and their codes in the file

It works find now!

Thanks!

I have an idea for you:

When you play the songs in WMP it would be nice to have an plug-in that show the album cover and under it:

Artist: David Bowie
Album: Lets Dance
Track: China Girl
Release Year:1983
Producer:Nile Rodgers
Composer: David Bowie, Iggy Pop

If you in the plug-in can choose what information that should be shown under the cover iy would be very smooth.
It could been done as when you choose what column to show in WMP.

Reply #262

I currently don't have any plans to add MKA support myself. Note however that WMP Tag Plus has pluggable tag support so that any developer who is interested could write his own tag support. I do feel that chapter support is something that should be provided by the codec and not by WMP Tag Plus.

When you play the songs in WMP it would be nice to have an plug-in that show the album cover and under it:

If you in the plug-in can choose what information that should be shown under the cover iy would be very smooth.

Yes, I already have something like that in mind for Windows Media Player Plus!, but there are no concrete plans yet. If it's added then you will probably be able to customize the shown info by editing ATF format strings, just like you can already do now for the title bar and Messenger's Show What I'm Listening To.

Reply #263

I currently don't have any plans to add MKA support myself. Note however that WMP Tag Plus has pluggable tag support so that any developer who is interested could write his own tag support. I do feel that chapter support is something that should be provided by the codec and not by WMP Tag Plus.

Yes, I already have something like that in mind for Windows Media Player Plus!, but there are no concrete plans yet. If it's added then you will probably be able to customize the shown info by editing ATF format strings, just like you can already do now for the title bar and Messenger's Show What I'm Listening To.

Thats sounds really nice!

Reply #264
Hey Guys,

I hope this question has not been asked before. I have downloaded plugins and tag plus for Windows 7. Installed successfully. I can play m4a files just fine. But they will not add to my library. BTW I have 64-bit if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
Michael Callahan

P.S. I'm using 32-bit Media Player, WMP Tag plus is checked, and have K-Lite Codec pack Full

Reply #265
I found all the media in other media tab i tried deleting it and moving it to library from the original folder but that also doesn't work. This is also lossless m4a.

Reply #266
This is a known issue with WMP 12: lossless M4A files are always added to Other media instead of Music. Fortunately, I have recently been able to come up with a fix for this. The fix is included in a new beta version of WMP Tag Plus (download here).

After installing the beta, existing lossless M4A files in Other media will need to be removed from the library, and re-added (through Tools - Advanced - Restore deleted library items). When re-adding, they should now appear in Music instead.

Please give the fix a try, and let me know if it works alright. Apart from the fix, nothing has been changed in this beta version.

Reply #267
Hi Tim!!

Just wanted to say that I am still running WMP Tag Plus since when I first tried it in November 2009 just before your 1.1 release.  I'd like to say how happy I am with it.    Perhaps once every six months I'll have a crash in WMP player where I will need to "recheck" WMP Tag Plus as a plug in, but I'm not even sure that it is WMP Tag Plus that is causing the crash.    IF it is responsible, the positive aspects of the plug in still heavily outweigh the negative aspects.

I am quite happy with your plug in.  Thank you for all of your hard work on it!

bh

Reply #268

Thats sounds really nice!

As I said before I use Tag Editor Plus and the Advanced part to check "whats inisde the file" just to make sure everything is ok after the file is saved.
Does this part shows "whats in the file " or "whats saved in WMP?
If it "only" shows whats inside WMP it would be very nice with a function where you see whats inide the file after you save something in WMP.

Reply #269
Just wanted to say that I am still running WMP Tag Plus since when I first tried it in November 2009 just before your 1.1 release.  I'd like to say how happy I am with it.    Perhaps once every six months I'll have a crash in WMP player where I will need to "recheck" WMP Tag Plus as a plug in, but I'm not even sure that it is WMP Tag Plus that is causing the crash.    IF it is responsible, the positive aspects of the plug in still heavily outweigh the negative aspects.

Good to hear  If you get a crash again, feel free to send me the crash details by e-mail. I'll take a look at them and will try to find the cause.

As I said before I use Tag Editor Plus and the Advanced part to check "whats inisde the file" just to make sure everything is ok after the file is saved.
Does this part shows "whats in the file " or "whats saved in WMP?
If it "only" shows whats inside WMP it would be very nice with a function where you see whats inide the file after you save something in WMP.

Max, now you're definitely posting in the wrong thread too

Tag Editor Plus queries WMP for all the info that it shows (except for lyrics, comments and pictures), so it will only show what's saved in WMP's library. This will almost always be the same as what's saved in the file, but if you want to directly view the info from file you can use an external tag editor like Mp3tag.

Reply #270
Hello,

I am having trouble installing the WMP Tag Plus.

During the installation (on Windows 7 64-bit) I get the following message in a dialog box:

c:\Program Files (x86)\WMP Tag Plus\WMPTagPlus.dll
Unable to register the DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x5
Click retry to try again, Ignore to proceeed anyway (not recommended), or Abort to cancel installation.

If I click retry the dialog box keeps re-appearing.  If I click 'Ignore' the installation seems to be succesful, but I cannot see the WMP Tag Plus tool listed under Tools - Plug-ins (and consequently no m4a tags recognised).

Has anyone else ever had this problem, or know what might be going wrong?

Thanks,
Mark.

Reply #271
I am having trouble installing the WMP Tag Plus.

During the installation (on Windows 7 64-bit) I get the following message in a dialog box:

c:\Program Files (x86)\WMP Tag Plus\WMPTagPlus.dll
Unable to register the DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x5
Click retry to try again, Ignore to proceeed anyway (not recommended), or Abort to cancel installation.

SOLVED

Manually registered WMPTagPlus.dll using RegSvr32:

Command Prompt - run as administrator
RegSvr32  c:\Program Files (x86)\WMP Tag Plus\WMPTagPlus.dll

Reply #272
Indeed, manually registering the DLL is what I would have suggested as well. A 0x5 code usually means "access denied" which is weird because the installer should have access to the DLL and the various affected registry keys. This might have been caused by permissions that are incorrectly set, possibly related to UAC (User Account Control).

Note that WMP 12 on Windows 7 already has built-in support for M4A tags.

Reply #273
Hi, does the beta version support APE format? It would be nice, since there is no way to seek ape files imported to WMP library due to lack of track length information.
I have read that the latest version of TagLib has support for ape files.
Thanks.

Reply #274
No, for the moment, the only thing that's new in the beta is the fix for lossless M4A in WMP 12. I have also noticed that APE support was added to TagLib, but I haven't extended WMP Tag Plus yet to make use of that support. The next major release, WMP Tag Plus 2.0, will support the APE format.