Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 1. HA Reggae-Topic (Read 4285 times) previous topic - next topic

1. HA Reggae-Topic

Hi guys!
This is the first HA Reggae-thread
Write anything you want (about Reggae, Dancehall or something similar)

(`·.¸¸.·´´· LAZKA ·``·.¸¸.·´)

1. HA Reggae-Topic

Reply #1
An old Buju Banton fan here!

I like the Beenie Man of old, the Many Moods album was great. His stuff is too commercial for me now though.
daefeatures.co.uk

1. HA Reggae-Topic

Reply #2
Does anyone have the Reggae Gold CDs?  Which years are recommended and does anyone know when they are typically released (as in: when will Reggae Gold 2004 be released)?
Was that a 1 or a 0?

1. HA Reggae-Topic

Reply #3
I have the 2000 and 2001 releases.

2000 is good, check out Lexxus's Cook.
daefeatures.co.uk

1. HA Reggae-Topic

Reply #4
the Inner Circle - bad boys cd grew onto me! its amazing stuff.... ... i remember years back when it was my most treasured cd!

1. HA Reggae-Topic

Reply #5
I'm a real big fan of Peter Tosh myself......

1. HA Reggae-Topic

Reply #6
I used to listen to reggae when I was younger. My personal evergreen is "No woman no cry" (live) from Bob Marley - Legend (best of). When I boil eggs for breakfast I play it. Good for waking up - and, if you put the eggs in boiling water when Bob starts singing, they're perfect when the song's over. B)

Besides this a band I like a lot now is Sergent Garcia. 50% Reggae, 30% Salsa, great how they switch between rhythms/styles even within a single song.
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

1. HA Reggae-Topic

Reply #7
Barring the obligatory Marley/Tosh/Wailer reference, most of the reggae I've been enjoying recently has been dub.
  King Tubby & the aggrovators, Scientist and the Trojan Dub Box Set are all currently in my rotation.
  One 'good' thing about certain older dub is the source quality (or transfer) is so poor that 128kbps mp3's are completely transparent in many cases. 

1. HA Reggae-Topic

Reply #8
i must agree with Audible - dub is da stuff.

For any reggae newbies i'd also recommend anything on the Soul Jazz label, especially the 100% Dynamite, 200% Dynamite ... series.

Interestingly, when most of this music is encoded to mp3 using lame -aps the bitrate rarely gets above 130kbps. But it still rocks.

.dd.

1. HA Reggae-Topic

Reply #9
I'll second the Soul Jazz recommendation. I particularly liked Impact! and the Studio One series (Scorchers, Rockers, etc).

Soul Jazz Records Discography

I haven't listened to my Trojan comps in a while, but I remember them having a poor, muddy sound quality. Soul Jazz seems to do a much better job with their 60s ska/ rocksteady/ reggae re-issues. I'd love to hear about other 60s re-issues with great sound quality.

Regarding bitrates, I recently encoded two albums of New Orleans funk from the 60s. 1.28GB of wav files compressed to 556MB! of flac (-q5).