Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Winamp won't play Itunes m4a (Read 16019 times) previous topic - next topic

Winamp won't play Itunes m4a

I converted some Ape/Cue files to wav and then to lossless m4a in Itunes.  Winamp 5.5 won't play them, although other players like VLC will.  I found this old thread but the links for plugins in it are dead - in any case though, I thought Winamp was supposed to have m4a support so I don't know what's up.  Any ideas?

Reply #1
Your files aren't lossless m4a, they are actually Apple lossless (ALAC) files.  I don't know if WinAmp supports the decoding (playback) of ALAC files.  I know that VLC can as it uses a custom decoder, the same thing with both dBpowerAMP and foobar2000.

Reply #2
I don't see ALAC in the supported file types list, so I assume a plug-in is your only option. You may have some luck with this.

Included in Winamp Essentials 5.55 are: Ogg Vorbis Encoder,Apple Lossless (alac) Decoder...

Reply #3
I created an account specifically to answer this particular post.

First of all THANK YOU Ron, for posting the link to this plugin.

It DOES work.

I tried to play the damn m4a's here thinking they were some corrupted mpeg4 files, but instead found out they were this Apple codec.

Also tried a kinda big number of other plugins to try and play those damn thingys... The only one i found out that works is this one.

The Winamp Essentials pack DOES solve the problem. I don't care if it's just some part of it or whatever.

It's playing good lossless music now, and thats 'nuff.

Spread the word!