Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_random_pools (Read 111493 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foo_random_pools

Reply #275
Hi all, people!
I'm a longtime f2k user, and been using RP almost from the very beginning of it. (A must-have component, let me say).
Well, technologies have grown way too long and now I see myself forced to jump into the Android version of f2k and (obviously) I would like my RP there too. :D
Do you know if it's fully implemented. If not, will it be?

Thx in advance!
Cheers!

Reply #276
Do you know if it's fully implemented.
No and there is currently no public SDK, which would make it possible. But even it will be possible in the future,
If not, will it be?
most likely not. At least not from me, but, of course, it would still be possible, that someone else would create a similar plugin for Android.

Reply #277
I know this thread is a year old, but I just started using this and I am a bit confused with it. I used to use Shuffle (tracks) and noticed how it can reset that shuffle in between sessions of Foobar, which means I end up hearing the same tracks sometimes over and over again before hearing all of the tracks on a playlist. So I had enough of that and thus found random pools.

I got it working: to fill a new playlist with a random sorting of all files from my library. But to do so, I had to manually set the "Number of groups to add" to the total track count and the "Group" to "%folder% - %title%" since the tracks I want to play are organized by folder (artist) and filename (title). This works, but it would be nice not to manually set the number of groups. If it's set to 1 here, it just adds one track.

I tried setting "Group" to %library% to grab everything, then the "Number of groups to add" only needs to be set to 1 and it works, but the randomness is really odd. It starts off random (different tracks from different folders), then it starts to lump entire folders together towards the end. So I'd have one folder with may be two dozen tracks all added to the bottom of the playlist, not anywhere else. For this I have nothing in Filter, nothing in Sort, and "Sort / limit each group" unchecked. Also Limits are all set to 0 to make sure there's no limit. Pretty much everything unchecked.

So, what's the simplest way to fill a new playlist with a random list of all tracks from my Library? Am I missing something? Thanks.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill

Reply #278
I got it working: to fill a new playlist with a random sorting of all files from my library. But to do so, I had to manually set the "Number of groups to add" to the total track count and the "Group" to "%folder% - %title%" since the tracks I want to play are organized by folder (artist) and filename (title). This works, but it would be nice not to manually set the number of groups.
Actually, this is not the purpose of this component and you are "misusing" the component a bit.

I tried setting "Group" to %library% to grab everything, then the "Number of groups to add" only needs to be set to 1 and it works, but the randomness is really odd. It starts off random (different tracks from different folders), then it starts to lump entire folders together towards the end.
This sounds strange and does normally not happen. But it's not necessary to go deeper into it as your goal can be achieved much easier:

Add all tracks in your library to a playlist, e.g. by using ALL as query expression. Then select all tracks and execute "Edit -> Selection -> Sort -> Randomize) and start playback in default order.

Reply #279
I got it working: to fill a new playlist with a random sorting of all files from my library. But to do so, I had to manually set the "Number of groups to add" to the total track count and the "Group" to "%folder% - %title%" since the tracks I want to play are organized by folder (artist) and filename (title). This works, but it would be nice not to manually set the number of groups.
Actually, this is not the purpose of this component and you are "misusing" the component a bit.

I tried setting "Group" to %library% to grab everything, then the "Number of groups to add" only needs to be set to 1 and it works, but the randomness is really odd. It starts off random (different tracks from different folders), then it starts to lump entire folders together towards the end.
This sounds strange and does normally not happen. But it's not necessary to go deeper into it as your goal can be achieved much easier:

Add all tracks in your library to a playlist, e.g. by using ALL as query expression. Then select all tracks and execute "Edit -> Selection -> Sort -> Randomize) and start playback in default order.
Thank you! I was overthinking this and using a plugin that was meant for far more than just a random sort. I stumbled across this plugin because someone online recommended it as a solution to the same issue I faced with the shuffle track play mode. Thank you for providing a much easier solution. :-)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill

Reply #280
I have been using random pools for some time to be able to play songs i like more often than others.

Normally you can define that a specific rating will be played this often compared to other ratings.
But another factor that's good to have in the equation is in how many songs there are with that rating compared to how many there are with other ratings.
No need add a song with rating:3, 20% of the time if it there aren't enough songs with that rating to fill 20% of your listening time. Then you end up hearing the same song more often, for that rating than for other ratings.
I wanted to calibrate the priorities to adjust for that.
I made a spreadsheet for this purpose. Sharing it here in case anyone find it useful.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kFRW_mjHCAFN1p7XlKMScJcCbGheO_sQPmVDdRTxFD8/edit#gid=842793885

Green cells are for manual input. Everything else is calculated.

Reply #281
Hello. I've had this component since the day I installed Foobar2000 and I've never really used it before.
I have always been intrigued as to how it works and what use-case I could need it for.
I had another problem with how Foobar does its Shuffle options that is detailed in this thread: https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=121029.0
Someone on there recommended that I could achieve my aim by using this component. Unfortunately though, I don't know how to use it and don't have any experience using it at all.
How do I achieve what I detailed in that other thread? (Shuffling "artist" category but only as artists not as the songs in that category).
Thanks