Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar locks the higher folders of the Music Library (Read 673 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar locks the higher folders of the Music Library

Win7x64, Foobar the last
I see the behavior both in Total Commander and WinExplorer, so it is not TC, but Foobar.

I have been bumping in, almost constantly, in recent weeks: i can not rename or delete higher folders of the Music Library, because Foobar locks them. Unlocker shows, that the process is Foobar. (Usually it shows some dozens of Foobar-processes.) But the phenomenon is very strange (for my knowledge...). My library system is Music(...) \ Artist \ Album \ Subalbums (in some cases). I can not delete the folders, but i can delete the lowest one! And files i can, too.

Example:
D:\Mű\Zene\Régi őrző\Mozart\Hegedűv. össz (K-190 nem) [MagyarSzZk heg.Baráti vez.Baráti]\6. Hegedűv. 3. G-kemény K-216 “Útvári”\01. Gyorsan.flac
(translation:
D:\Art\Music\Classical lossless\Mozart\Violin conc. all (but K-190) [HungChamOrch vio.Baráti dir.Baráti]\6. Violin conc. 3. G-dur K-216 “Strassburg”\01. Allegro.flac)

I can delete bold parts, but i can not delete the other, higher folders of the Music Library.
After restarting Foobar, situation immediately is the same. Without doing anything in Foobar (except, that it resumes playback).
My only idea: i changed thread priority from 7 to 3 -- no effect.

Has anything changed in the Foobar, or at me?
Is this the case with anyone else?

Re: Foobar locks the higher folders of the Music Library

Reply #1
I found something...
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=115881.msg956351#msg956351

My situation seems to be the same. So: i have only 1 folder to watch: D:\Mű\Zene (D:\Art\Music), It has 5,000 folders and 55,000 files.
I have no new plugins in Foobar.

Next. I started Foobar in safe mode: no problem.
So, my plugins' list:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For the first i uninstalled foo_input_sacd.dll (Super Audio CD Decoder 1.3.7), because it is like mentioned. Nothing changed.
Second attempt. I unlocked with Unlocker the whole "Classical lossless" folder. After, i could rename one of its subfolders! But through 5 seconds, i could not rename it back...

If to uninstall all the plugins one by one, my hair turns gray. (Or am i going to be bald? Hmm...) So, does anyone have other ideas?

By the way, somebody recently wrote an idea to turn off plugins, instead of uninstalling them. It would be great for such a diagnostic cases.

Reply #2
As was already suggested there, try ditching foo_file_datetime.dll.

Reply #3
As was already suggested there, try ditching foo_file_datetime.dll.
Thank you for the quick help. You are right, he is the culprit. Too bad, it would be useful.

Reply #4
That component contains the source and I *might* have fixed the bug. Test it and see...

https://github.com/marc2k3/foo_jscript_panel/wiki/files/foo_file_datetime.fb2k-component

Reply #5
Neat, it was calling uFindFirstFile without ever releasing it.

Reply #7
Good stuff.

The link I posted above is now dead and I'm attaching it here for anyone else who might be interested.

edit: minimum requirements are Windows 7 or later, fb2k v1.5 or later.

Reply #8

Indeed. The version I've uploaded just now uses FindFirstFileW / FindClose instead.

Reply #9
Sorry for the ignorance, but what is the use of this component?

Reply #10
It exposes %file_created% which is not standard title formatting. It can used in any playlist column/panel/search etc.

Reply #11
Ah.... OK, thank you very much!

Reply #12

Indeed. The version I've uploaded just now uses FindFirstFileW / FindClose instead.
It should be possible to continue using the existing wrapper, but maybe not worth it, since it would be transparently providing UTF-16 to UTF-8 translation of the returned filenames, which this use case doesn't need. Basically, like the Win32 method, this one requires calling a release method on the returned class interface when you're done with it. But yeah, don't need the returned filenames, so using the API directly saves that unneeded translation.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021