Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Backing up Foobar setup (Read 1653 times) previous topic - next topic

Backing up Foobar setup

So yesterday my windows did an oopsie and I was forced to re-setup my foobar.
I thought I had already properly backed up my foobar settings, I made a copy of the "program files (x86)" folder, as well as the appdata folder and substituted them after installing foobar on the fresh windows install.

However doing so failed to fully restore my old settings and in the end I had to spend the better part of two days rebuilding from the ashes.

Just wanted to ask if you guys had any advice or tips on how to fully properly backup your foobar setup, because having to do it again is a real pain in the you know what.

Also is there a workaround to get file associations to work with a portable installation of foobar? I feel like that might be an answer to my question.

PS. I think I accidentally posted this under the wrong topic. My apologies if that's the case, please (re)move this post if so.
Hhhmmmm Croissants.....

Re: Backing up Foobar setup

Reply #1
My foobar fully resides on a ramdisk (for reasons), it's portable and it gets automatically synced daily (and on windows shutdown) to a regular hdd (and monthly to a secondary hdd). I've never lost my foobar.

Reply #2
If installed in normal mode, you should never have to backup the folder from inside "program files (x86)" because nothing personal to you should ever end up there. Encoders might end up there if you use the encoder pack but it makes more sense to run the installer again rather than backing them up.

In theory, backing up/restoring your entire foobar2000 folder from %appdata%\roaming should be all you need to do. Of course your playlist and library would expect your music lives in the same location.

If you want to try portable mode, associating files is easy enough - you just have to do them one type at a time. Right click a file in Explorer>open with>choose another app and browse for your portable foobar2000 executable.

Reply #3
My foobar fully resides on a ramdisk (for reasons), it's portable and it gets automatically synced daily (and on windows shutdown) to a regular hdd (and monthly to a secondary hdd). I've never lost my foobar.

That's what I had in mind too, having my foobar portable on a USB stick. So I guess portable is the way to go.
Hhhmmmm Croissants.....

Reply #4
If installed in normal mode, you should never have to backup the folder from inside "program files (x86)"
Indeed. Now that I check on my fresh install of Foobar you are right. I had put my custom icons there, which I shouldn't have, but by default no custom files reside there.

If you want to try portable mode, associating files is easy enough - you just have to do them one type at a time. Right click a file in Explorer>open with>choose another app and browse for your portable foobar2000 executable.
Thanks for the tip! I had read on the download page that a portable install doesn't support file associations but I never actually tried for myself. I will go and do that right now! So I guess portable is the way to go. Thanks again!
Hhhmmmm Croissants.....

Reply #5
So yesterday my windows did an oopsie and I was forced to re-setup my foobar.
I thought I had already properly backed up my foobar settings, I made a copy of the "program files (x86)" folder, as well as the appdata folder and substituted them after installing foobar on the fresh windows install.

However doing so failed to fully restore my old settings and in the end I had to spend the better part of two days rebuilding from the ashes.

Just wanted to ask if you guys had any advice or tips on how to fully properly backup your foobar setup, because having to do it again is a real pain in the you know what...

Hi. The only problem I've encountered was when my backup was a bit old and something changed with a new Foobar release. Other than that backing up the %appdata/Foobar% folder should do it.

In case it helps: The name of this component is kind of irreverent but this has proved quite useful when I've had to recover my settings: https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_jesus

It requires minimal configuration (under Preferences: Advanced).

Cheers, mate.

Reply #6
In case it helps: The name of this component is kind of irreverent but this has proved quite useful when I've had to recover my settings: https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_jesus

Irreverent but very creative lol The Saviour will save-your Foobar Setup. I can imagine the face of the author when he came up with it.

Great recommendation! Thanks for the tip!
Hhhmmmm Croissants.....