Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to force 2 channel output? (Read 1235 times) previous topic - next topic

How to force 2 channel output?

foobar2000 sounds bad with Nahimic surround sound. It is component that comes with my laptop. It simulates 3D surround sound in headphones. Kind of cross-feed. Please do not ask me to disable it. Sound in headphones is much better when it is enabled, especially when listening music where some instruments are played completely in single channel (left or right).

I tried few players (Windows Media Player, Groove Music, VLC). They play music via Nahimic nice. But when I play it with foobar2000, I hear some reverberation and high frequencies are quiet. I configured VLC to use more than 2 channels in Direct Sound output. After that VLC started to play music the same as foobar2000 plays. Therefore the problem seems to be related to multi channel output.

I tried to use Channel Mixer. I disabled rear channels. Sound became better, but it is still bad.

I tried to use WASAPI shared output. No change.

I tried to use older foobar2000 (1.3.9). No problem there. It looks like forced multi channel output was introduced in recent foobar versions.

Is there way to force foobar open audio device in 2 channel mode?

Re: How to force 2 channel output?

Reply #1
Have you tried adding the built-in DSP "Downmix channels to stereo" to your chain?

Reply #2
Yes, I've tried. It doesn't help.
It looks like that foobar upmixes any audio to 4 (or more) channels on final stage before sending audio to audio device.

Reply #3
Yes, set your sound device to two channels. WASAPI output always upmixes to however many channels your device indicates it wants.

Reply #4
It's already set to stereo in settings. But it's probably set to more channels internally because of 3D surround. And this can't be changed.

Is it difficult to add option to foobar to limit the number of output channels to 2?

Reply #5
I'm pretty sure the default output tries to first use the same channel format as the source has and reverts to mixer format only if it fails. The WASAPI shared component that you linked always explicitly uses the mixer format as that is the only guaranteed format that works.

I tested on my machine with HD audio device running on Microsoft's built-in drivers to open a stereo session when the device was configured to 5.1 or 4 speaker modes. The format was unsupported and playback always failed.

You could try adding upmix DSPs to fill all channels with content. But I doubt it helps.

If time was unlimited someone could probably hack those Nahimic drivers to work on developer machine and actually figure out what they do. But this is unlikely.

I suggest you uninstall Nahimic  software and enjoy regular unmutilated audio with standard drivers.

Reply #6
What API does foobar2000 use for audio playback?

Reply #7
I'm pretty sure the default output tries to first use the same channel format as the source has and reverts to mixer format only if it fails.
It is how it was in older foobar versions, because sound is good there.

Reply #8
I tested on my machine with HD audio device running on Microsoft's built-in drivers to open a stereo session when the device was configured to 5.1 or 4 speaker modes. The format was unsupported and playback always failed.
This sounds odd.  Something I've never thought a problem.  I stay at 7.1 and use 2.0 output just fine.  The attached picture shows this.  Output is for sure two channels; I can see this on my AVR's info screen.

I do force the format (the ff at the upper left, under NVIDIA Digital).  Heh, sure, enough, I unchecked force format and the AVR is showing 7.1 for a 2-channel play.  Well, what do you know.  The second attached pic.
BANNED

Reply #9
DirectSound doesn't have this problem.

Reply #10
The problem was introduced in the version 1.6.1.

The 1.6 sounds good.
The 1.6.1 sounds bad.

I'll hang with 1.6 for a while :(

Alternatively I can use Dolby Headphone Wrapper. It sounds very good. But I don't want to switch Nahimic surround sound setting every time I switch to other app.

Reply #11
When using default (not exclusive) output method and starting playback first time after foobar2000 restart, you can see in console (View->Console) what is actually sent from player to audio device driver.

Reply #12
@Rollin, thank you again!

Code: [Select]
Automatic resampling: using Resampler (dBpoweramp/SSRC), Resampler (RetroArch)
Device: Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio)
Mix format: 48000 Hz / 32-bit float / 8 channels (0x63F)
Sending stream: 48000 Hz / 32-bit float / 8 channels (0x63F)

It outputs in 8 channel mode  :'(  :'(  :'(

This needs to be fixed.

Reply #13
It's literally the only thing WASAPI supports. The only alternative is either using WaveOut or using DirectSound.

Reply #14
Yes, it looks like that. What audio backend was used in v.1.6? Direct Sound?

Reply #15
1.6.x series use WASAPI shared by default.
If your computer disagrees with it, I recommend sticking with 1.5.x series - https://www.foobar2000.org/old
1.5.x is considered a 'long term support' release and will get at least one more update with latest bug fixes but no change in features.

There's also waveOut output, not listed but provided for troubleshooting only-
https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_waveout
It should also help with your foobar2000 1.6.x playback issues.
We are the bork. Your software bugs will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Reply #16
@Peter, thank you! Waveout output is good.

It would be great if 1.5.x output mechanism was released as external plugin like it was for waveOut mechanism.

Reply #17
Anyway, does anybody know why WaveOut is legacy? What's wrong with it? All I know is that it doesn't support floating point output.

Reply #19
I think there is a plugin called openal output?