Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: OGG or MP3 (Read 5943 times) previous topic - next topic

OGG or MP3

I have a new computer with  a SSD 256 go. Later i have to buy a external HDD.
But now i can't listen Flac. I have to choose between mp3 or ogg.
i have already done some test. I think ogg is better at q8 (256 kps) than mp3 v0. I can ABX lame V0 on 10-12 songs.
It is a placebo effect or ogg is really better ?

My system:
speakers: Monitor Audio Silver Rs8
ampli: Cambridge Audio Azur 851
dac: Cambridge Audio Dac Magic Plus.

Sorry for my bad english,

Thanks

Re: OGG or MP3

Reply #3
With the bitrate range you are thinking of you can seriously consider to use mp3.
Universal usability is mp3's advantage.
If you can ABX lame -V0 on 10 songs your hearing must be excellent. I recently developped a Lame 3.99.5 variant (lame3995o) which has a special quality parameter -Qx which takes special care of those rare samples where standard Lame struggles a little bit.
I'd be pleased if you could try to ABX lame3995o -Q1 (224 kbps on average as with -V1), -Q0.5 (261 kbps on average as with -V0), or -Q0 (317 kbps on average) on your songs. Maybe you will find a setting which totally satisfies you. ;)
lame3995o -Q1.7 --lowpass 17