Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Multiple outputs/instances for foobar? (Read 1824 times) previous topic - next topic

Multiple outputs/instances for foobar?

Question for everyone here...

I use foobar on my server PC outputting to my stereo in my living room; I use various remote apps to control it.

I'd also like to play my music library from an old iPad2 in my bedroom that I have in a dock connected to my old receiver/speakers - currently I'm using Plex and it's slow/inelegant for music so I end up using low-quality streams instead

Is there a better way to do this via foobar w/o wrecking my remote setup? Using foobar DLNA? Could I still use the iOS remote to play music to the iPad or do I need to use a DLNA receiver app? Any solutions that have better apps for music than the DLNA clients? Almost all of the DLNA apps are poop IMHO.

If there's something else that would work for $50 or less like Chromecast audio then could go for that, but seems excessive.
Guinness for strength!

Multiple outputs/instances for foobar?

Reply #1
This is my setup

The advantage over DLNA is that foobar remains the sole player, which is convenient for reusing the DSP chain, gapless playback, replaygain, scrobbling, , playback statistics, etc. ...
The configuration should work for multiroom as well, with several pi's and multicast streaming.