Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: RazorLame just stopped opening WAV files (Read 3582 times) previous topic - next topic

RazorLame just stopped opening WAV files

Last week, I installed RazorLame 1.1.5a with LAME 3.93.1 on 64-bit Windows 7. An error message warned of possible errors due to compatibility settings and asked to reinstall with different settings. After that, installation seemed to progress fine. I converted hundreds of ripped WAV files to MP3's without issue.

And then today happened.

RazorLame will no longer open WAV files. It will open MP3 files.

I have deleted the associated "C:\Program Files (x86)\Lame\RazorLame\ directory and reinstalled RazorLame with XP SP2 and SP3 compatibility and as an Administrator, to no avail. Where I had no problems last week, the software neither opens directly nor allows me to drag in WAV files. There are no error messages; simply, nothing happens.

The fact it worked before but not now is really throwing me for a loop. I've not changed anything, updated Windows 7, or installed new software.

Can anyone help me out here?

The software has worked without problems on my old XP rig for years and years, but that rig is slow and I was hoping to migrate my audio software to my Windows 7 machine. I suppose I could use another converter, provided it would never introduce chirps and other artifacts. I'm not interested in online converters, Windows Media Player, or VLC.

Re: RazorLame just stopped opening WAV files

Reply #1
So, look at this:

Ōkami Original Soundtrack

See anything wrong? RazorLame cannot process that first character, the Ō, and cannot navigate path names containing it. That's why it would not open my WAV files. I changed Ō to O and now it works.

Thank God for Bulk Rename Utility.

Reply #2
Or you could switch to an encoder frontend that actually supports Unicode filenames.

Reply #3
Or you could switch to an encoder frontend that actually supports Unicode filenames.

This would be my suggestion also. Some older programs are never going to work with Unicode.