Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: can't foobar surport 'cue' file in unicode? (Read 4350 times) previous topic - next topic

can't foobar surport 'cue' file in unicode?

I've study with the FAQ post, but not understood what the "code" means at all 

OS: winxp simple-chinese version, Foobar v0.83 Special.

My problem: some ape files can't keep tag informations come from FREEDB. Like this:
Kantate BWV 145 - III. Aria (B): Merke, mein Herze, beständig nur dies
Kantate BWV 145 - IV. Recitativo (B): Mein Jesus lebt
Kantate BWV 145 - V. Choral: Drum wir auch billig fröhlich sein

the RED part always become "?" after restart FOOBAR, just like this
Kantate BWV 145 - III. Aria (B): Merke, mein Herze, best?ndig nur dies
Kantate BWV 145 - IV. Recitativo (B): Mein Jesus lebt
Kantate BWV 145 - V. Choral: Drum wir auch billig fr?hlich sein

I've tried to copy them to the CUE files(open with "notepad" program).
But when I try to save the modified CUE, an alert window always jump out and advise me to save it in "unicode" because "the file include unicode characters, it will lose when be saved in ANSI code. To save those unicode informations, click "cancel" and choose Unicode from code list".
I followed it to save the CUE files in unicode. But another alert window jump out from FOOBAR program when I double-click the new cue files to paly the ape files, like this:
INFO (CORE) : startup time: 451 ms
INFO (CORE) : opening file for playback :
INFO (CORE) : location: "file://D:\Classic\newo\Bach VOL11\CD4\CD 92.044ddddddddddddddddd.cue" (0)
ERROR (CORE) : error opening file for playback :
INFO (CORE) : location: "file://D:\Classic\newo\Bach VOL11\CD4\CD 92.044ddddddddddddddddd.cue" (0)

That's why I question: can't foobar surport 'cue' file in unicode?
Infact, it's not my point.
I just wanna know: How to keep those characters instead of "?" into the cue files?
I hate those "?" !

At the end, thanks for your patience with my stiff English  ----I just wanna you know one thing: No matter how much time have you spent to understand my post, I did the triple to finish it

Reply #1
In version 0.8.3, foobar2000 supports reading CUE files that are encoded in UTF-8 (at least that's my experience), but always writes CUE files in ANSI (hence the '?'s).  More discussion in this thread:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....hl=cue++unicode

Reply #2
I dont know what is going to happen in 0.9 - anyways, here's my personal opinion:

1. cuesheet-standard (as in "what most other applications support and do) doesn't support unicode
2. therefore, if fb2k would write cuesheets in UTF8, then they would only be compatible with foobar
3. in that case however, it basically isn't a cuesheet anymore but instead a new vendor-specific format - the only similarity would be the fileextension... which would only lead to ambiguity
4. thus, unicode cuesheets should be a seperate format. But such a format does already exist: APL
5. thus, if you need support with other apps, use ansi cuesheets - if you need unicode, use APL

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #3
Personally, I don't use cuesheets much, and I'll probably use APL files in the future.

However, one thing I'm curious about is .m3u and .m3u8. Why hasn't a UTF-8 -aware .cue8 been created?

Reply #4
Thanks for all responses.

with your guides, I restudied the FAQ & HELP post these days and now I'm able to know something about "code".
specialy, APL is an amazing solution of solving unrecognized characters. I do haven't  thought it can be used on this way.

here comes an other question: is there any way to combine those APL files into one files? I mean "each track with one APL" confuses me sometimes.

Does my english look better?