Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Compressed music causes ear loss? (Read 54025 times) previous topic - next topic

Compressed music causes ear loss?

Reply #75
However, it's well known that some sounds can cause short term changes in hearing (like masking, or the way I can only ABX a 17kHz lowpass filter if I do one test every ten minutes), which is different to our visual experience. Do you have any such signals in mind?

Both ears and eyes acts similar here: we need several minutes to see something when come in to the cave... Do we have ore miners here?

Reply #76

However, it's well known that some sounds can cause short term changes in hearing (like masking, or the way I can only ABX a 17kHz lowpass filter if I do one test every ten minutes), which is different to our visual experience. Do you have any such signals in mind?

Both ears and eyes acts similar here: we need several minutes to see something when come in to the cave... Do we have ore miners here?

Whoa there. Unless you've been exposed to levels higher than you should be, you shouldn't have more than a few seconds of recovery time with the ear.

The eye and the ear have very, very different adaptation times!

The ear adapts over a range of times from a millisecond (attack) to 200 milliseconds (full recovery if no temporary threshold shift, which means something was too loud).

The eye adapts from a second or so (iris) to 15 minutes (Perkinzie shift)
-----
J. D. (jj) Johnston

Reply #77

Whoa there. Unless you've been exposed to levels higher than you should be, you shouldn't have more than a few seconds of recovery time with the ear.
That's interesting, indeed. Other people (I am trying to find the threads) have experienced similar things when ABXing very subtle (to them) differences at normal listening levels. From what you said, it's probably not a hearing thing - but it must be something. Along similar lines - if I walk into my lounge and the TV is on but dark and silent (like on the DVD channel when the player is off), I can tell with 100% success (over 8 trials run by my girlfriend) without looking. If I sit in the room with the TV for a few minutes, I can no longer tell whether it's on or off.

Reply #78

That's interesting, indeed. Other people (I am trying to find the threads) have experienced similar things when ABXing very subtle (to them) differences at normal listening levels. From what you said, it's probably not a hearing thing - but it must be something. Along similar lines - if I walk into my lounge and the TV is on but dark and silent (like on the DVD channel when the player is off), I can tell with 100% success (over 8 trials run by my girlfriend) without looking. If I sit in the room with the TV for a few minutes, I can no longer tell whether it's on or off.

I guess you're talking about a CRT TV, not an LCD one.