Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Does ALAC have an internal checksum? (Read 4820 times) previous topic - next topic

Does ALAC have an internal checksum?

Hi folks,

I know flac has an internal checksum because I use AudioTester to make sure no corruption has occurred. I'm thinking about making the move to ALAC but will this type of testing still be possible?

Thanks.

Reply #1
AFAIK ALAC doesn't have such a checksum. That's hy I'm thinking of making a program that checks the decompressed stream (not the entire file!) against and MD5 which I want to store in a tag. As I'm no programmer at all I'm just in the research phase (and getting the latest ffmpeg to work which I will need), but if I succeed I'll post back on hydrogen

Reply #2
ALAC doesn't have any checksum field and if you really want to store an md5 hash in the metadata, you could write a quick perl script using Audio::M4P (or even atomic parsley) to store it in the desc atom or something. Just an idea...

Moderation: Removed useless quote.